Bigmack3000

Organizing Extras Request

Bigmack3000

This is a smaller extras request that I haven't seen posted yet.  While it's being decided how extras are advanced, can we get a sorting order for the various extras folders? Right now, I can sort them into Interviews, Deleted Scenes, Specials, etc. However, once uploaded to Emby they just mash together alphabetically, leaving you with this:

Deleted Scene, Interview, Deleted Scene, Special, Featurette, Interview, Behind the Scenes, Featurette, Featurette, Deleted Scene, Special.

It would be great if each Extras folder had a numbered value.  That way the line in Emby looked more like:

Interview, Interview, Deleted Scene, Deleted Scene, Deleted Scene, Behind the Scenes, Featurette, Featurette, Featurette, Special, Special.

This would go a long way in making the Extras look much neater in their current state.  

PenkethBoy
Posted (edited)

add a prefix to the "extras" filename so they sort in groups - which is what i do to keep them grouped together

Edited by PenkethBoy

Bigmack3000
Posted (edited)

That's a nice manual option, that I'll use for certain deleted scenes or BTS if it's split into multiple segments.  But it'd be nice to have them auto sort and not waste some of the name space on "Interview" or "Featurette".

Even an option in the library settings that allows you to choose the order in which the files are sorted.

Edited by Bigmack3000

PenkethBoy

you only need to use one or two letters

e.g. e- for extras f- for featurettes i- for interviews etc 

and/or you could use numbers instead - and vary that by item if thats needed

library option would not be enough as the next request would be by item - and overall its overkill - hence why they went alphabetical

Bigmack3000

I think that's a pretty big leap in assumptions.  Sorting distinct categories alphabetically is not an equal step to sorting every file individually.

Basically, if we already have the option to sort extras into various folders then there should be a reason we do that.  That reason would be keeping the files in those folders together.

crusher11

Extras can have sort names.

Bigmack3000

You mean from the library level?  or individual files?  Because that's a vastly different amount of time and work to do.

Bigmack3000

Even that is much more specific than my request.  I'm trying to keep mine as simple and broad as possible.  Just keep the files in each folder together in the Extras line of each movie.  

PenkethBoy

5ed67a1087e7d_Annotation20200602171038.j

Bigmack3000

Thanks.  I understand what you're saying to do. But I'm not going to do that to thousands of files.  And no one should really have to when we are already separating them into their own folders.  It just seems like keeping them sorted when loaded into Emby is the most efficient and clean option for every user.