Plex Watch Together

e123enitan

evil_crab
23 hours ago, Soldize said:

Discord Quality without Serverboost is crap

I mean for voice chat, not for video.

• Like 1

Dreakon13

Are people actually wondering what the purpose of this feature is?

How do you play video games with other people when they aren't next to you?  How do people work or collaborate remotely?  How do you have a conversation with someone if they aren't next to you, like phones don't exist?

Don't get me wrong, I probably wouldn't use something like this too often because as I get older and more reclusive I don't really have many friends I'd do that sort of thing with anymore... but I can only imagine how some people who do have friends or family, near or far, might like something like this.  If nothing else it'd give people the option, in this digital age of ours.

What decade are we living in that we don't understand how or why people might consume entertainment/media or interact together when they aren't in the same room?

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

MindBullet
On 2/17/2024 at 5:30 PM, mike3821 said:

May be derailing the topic. Just trying to understand how the human contact piece plays a role in this…

How is this different from chatting with somebody on the internet? The interaction in this case is letters, whereas the interaction with a synced video you watch together is consuming media together. I for myself cannot understand how someone can not understand this 😅 Also, I already provided several usecases just above your comment. It's applicable to many scenarios where people are not sitting next to each other, but wanna do something together, i.e. stream a movie together 🤷‍♂️

On 2/17/2024 at 6:34 PM, mike3821 said:

How would you even speak to the other person? Because I do talk to other people some times when watching. 

Oh, yeah, good question. Maybe use something like this new thing called internet (Whatsapp, Telegram, Signal, Facebook, Discord [...]) to interact with your partner meanwhile like you would just do without streaming a movie together 🤣 Are you trolling us all? 

4 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

What decade are we living in that we don't understand how or why people might consume entertainment/media or interact together when they aren't in the same room?

Thank you for bringing this to the point 🤦‍♂️ 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
BillOatman
On 2/28/2024 at 11:33 PM, sirmiketr said:

ok so other than the off topic, when is this coming - jellyfin even has it

Basically when Team Emby thinks it is of value to enough users to make it worthwhile. Or, a team or someone volunteers to do it and is allowed to by Team Emby.

Dreakon13

I'd be curious if this is truly on the radar of "Team Emby" or not.  It's obviously a very highly requested feature, and a very marketable feature... so I have to think the interest is there.  It'd definitely sell some Premiere licenses.  If it were as simple as "steal whatever Jellyfin did", it'd probably be done already right?

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

roaku
35 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I'd be curious if this is truly on the radar of "Team Emby" or not.  It's obviously a very highly requested feature, and a very marketable feature... so I have to think the interest is there.  It'd definitely sell some Premiere licenses.  If it were as simple as "steal whatever Jellyfin did", it'd probably be done already right?

The only certain thing in all this is that the Emby developers do not need anyone else's code to complete the feature.

• Agree 1

Arthessia

Hi,

I'm also super interested by this feature... Still "scheduled for future updates" ? I presume... Lol

Hi all,

If you look back in this thread you will see Luke mentioned we are very interested in it for the feature. 

On 5/28/2020 at 9:18 PM, Luke said:

Hi, yes this is something we're very interested in. Thanks for the feedback.

You'll see this changed 5 months ago to being planned for future updates.

On 10/24/2023 at 4:19 PM, Luke said:

Hi, it is planned for future updates. Thanks for the feedback.

You will normally not see a specific commitment of a timeframe in our forums since priorities and schedules can change at any time due to any number of reasons. Often times you will not know about a feature until it hits beta or if one of the staff posts about it before release usually with a beta following very shortly.

Historically, I think you'll find a planned or committed to future update typically has been 2 or 3 releases out depending on how you count the releases.  We just rolled out a major version of Emby Server. The next version has likely been been planned for, likely since at least the starting development of the currently released server.

So I'd guess it would be the version after next give or take a version. :)

But to answer your question directly, yes it would still be planned for a future update as Luke posted in the quoted message.

• Like 1

BillOatman
On 3/3/2024 at 9:39 PM, roaku said:

The only certain thing in all this is that the Emby developers do not need anyone else's code to complete the feature.

Technical skills I agree. However the date of the first post in this thread also tells a story.

image.png.29385b282fc8f7aa90ecbfb38cadaf00.png

• Agree 2

sydlexius
13 hours ago, BillOatman said:

Technical skills I agree. However the date of the first post in this thread also tells a story.

image.png.29385b282fc8f7aa90ecbfb38cadaf00.png

I'm curious to know what story you think it tells?

• Agree 1

rbjtech
3 hours ago, sydlexius said:

I'm curious to know what story you think it tells?

The story that it's been 4 years since being raised, the pandemic/lockdown has been and gone and we are still waiting for this feature - despite it being #2 on the wanted list (if you add all the different 'versions' of what is ultimately the same thing - multi-cast-97, watch together-61, watch together2-49 - 207 total.  #1 - Recommendations/Watchlist has 293.    Smart Playlists is #3 @ 132.

These 'features' are things people ultimately want - 4.8 was a long time coming, and the 'headlines in the Blog' were about PIN's and Playlist permissions  🤔 ... yes lots of small fixes, but nothing to innovate or shout about.      Makes me a little sad tbh - the days of exciting previous innovations such as Intro/credit detection and the new possibilities of real AI integration seem a long way off if we can't even get the basics out the door. 

• Agree 2

TeamB
3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

despite it being #2 on the wanted list (if you add all the different 'versions' of what is ultimately the same thing - multi-cast-97, watch together-61, watch together2-49 - 207 total.

That is not how it works, you do realise the same people are voting for each one. You need to take the max not the sum. Or a better approach is extract all the votes and de-dupe them.

yes lots of small fixes, but nothing to innovate or shout about.      Makes me a little sad tbh

What's left to innovate, it's all small stuff, all the low-hanging fruit is gone. All that is left is a bunch of requests from edge cases, yes I called them edge cases, just look at the numbers (votes and comments) there really are only a handful of users asking for these things when you compare them to the full emby customer base.

Even with the 17-month release cycle of 4.8 I don't even care about any of the features added. Its great stuff happened, some stuff got added, some stuff got fixed, some stuff got removed (for security reasons) none of it really matters, my family can still watch stuff when they want, there is nothing in there that will change how they use the product.

It is a mature product, buy it and use it for what it is today, it works well and is supported well.

the days of exciting previous innovations such as Intro/credit detection and the new possibilities of real AI integration seem a long way off if we can't even get the basics out the door. 

intro skip is not exciting. So I don't have to click skip 1-2 or 3 times when I start a new episode, hmmm Meh.

And as for AI, I assume you are talking about generative ai here, what Could you possibly want, auto generated descriptions? In fact I have not seen one AI Gen request on this sub yet.

I thought the true future of the product was going to be 3rd party devs producing plugins, but that is a dead end, there is just not the support there, as a 3rd party dev I have no way of interacting with the main user interface, I can not write a plugin that a user can use directly (none admin user) from any of the menus in the system. Also, we have a very high attrition rate for 3rd party devs. They come, create something, then leave, not sure why. Probably the community, it's a little weird this community.

Ok back on topic, as pointed out above there are already a few solutions for a watch together POC, there was a test plugin, a stand-alone tool, an implementation in the Emby for Kodi client that works and people have NOT flocked to them, a few people have tried them, the same people that try all new things but even with all those posts, plugins, examples, clients etc it still can excite the user base to get behind this, I generally get the feeling that there is just not a lot of people who actually want this. Yes there are some, but generally people are not excited about this.

BillOatman
8 minutes ago, TeamB said:

intro skip is not exciting. So I don't have to click skip 1-2 or 3 times when I start a new episode, hmmm Meh.

And the majority of the work that feature was largely done by others, not the core Emby team anyway.

• Like 1

TeamB
2 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

And the majority of the work that feature was largely done by others, not the core Emby team anyway.

yes I know, I was there.

• Agree 1

jspanitz
20 minutes ago, TeamB said:

I for one found it exciting and a needed feature.  to each their own.

21 minutes ago, TeamB said:

people have NOT flocked to them

Let's be real here, 90% of the people don't know about them as they are not present in the UI.  So measuring uptake based on who uses a dev / beta feature that has to be manually loaded isn't valid imo.

TeamB
6 minutes ago, jspanitz said:

I for one found it exciting and a needed feature.  to each their own.

Yep, everyone is different, you just need enough excited people to make a feature worthwhile, and good candidates for that are becoming harder to find.

That's why you see a lot of the innovation being done my 3rd party devs, they do stuff cos they want to, that is why I though the future was going to be 3rd party devs with plugins, but turns out that is not happening.

11 minutes ago, jspanitz said:

Let's be real here, 90% of the people don't know about them as they are not present in the UI.  So measuring uptake based on who uses a dev / beta feature that has to be manually loaded isn't valid imo.

Chicken or the egg.

Build it, and they will come, until they don't, or in the case of this community complain it is the wrong colour.

Spaceboy

personally i feel that the length of the 4.8 cycle, the limited enhancements for users at the end of it, the refusal of the emby team to even give the remotest clue as to what might be on the roadmap, and the seemingly deliberate crushing of every single attempt made by 3rd party devs to add more functionality has killed off all excitement amongst the long term user base.

but yeah, it works fine as it is. 😴

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

jspanitz
34 minutes ago, TeamB said:

Chicken or the egg.

Build it, and they will come

I agree with you that plugins should be a focus.  And allowing 3rd parry devs a plugins section in the gui would go a long way to ramping up adoption imo.   But yeah, the complaints will always outnumber the compliments.  Not sure there's much anyone can do about that.  

Dreakon13
On 3/9/2024 at 5:24 PM, TeamB said:

It is a mature product, buy it and use it for what it is today, it works well and is supported well.

While I agree with this... there's something to be said for keeping Emby marketable and relevant.  For continued Premiere key purchases, and continued growth and support.  New features are probably the most effective way to do that, especially features that are more "fun".  Plex has it, Jellyfin has something like it, you see streaming services like Hulu and Amazon Prime supporting watch parties.  I think it's one of those things most users are okay without, but if it were there, they'd try it, and probably end up using it more than they/you think.

I don't think it's fair to rule out interest because you don't trust the feature request voting numbers (what's the point of directing people to vote on features if we disregard the popular ones out of fear of being duplicates or whatever?) or that regular non-power users aren't coming out in droves to sideload weird alpha plugins or Kodi alternatives that probably barely work.

Edited by Dreakon13

TeamB
10 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

there's something to be said for keeping Emby marketable and relevant.

Absolutely, it's just finding the things that will give you max ROI

I don't think it's fair to rule out interest because you don't trust the feature request voting numbers (what's the point of directing people to vote on features if we disregard the popular ones out of fear of being duplicates or whatever?)

all I was saying is you can not just SUM them.

The distinct vote count for those 3 feature requests is 169 (not 207) which is actually higher than I thought it would be.

or that regular non-power users aren't coming out in droves to sideload weird alpha plugins or Kodi alternatives that probably barely work.

And this is why the 3rd party devs don't stick around, If it is not polished and perfect then this community is not interested. And even if it is well written and works well, but it is not exactly what a user wants, they have nothing but complaints for you.

Edited by TeamB

Dreakon13
1 hour ago, TeamB said:

And this is why the 3rd party devs don't stick around, If it is not polished and perfect then this community is not interested. And even if it is well written and works well, but it is not exactly what a user wants, they have nothing but complaints for you.

I guess?

I have no opinion on that really, I don't use plugins outside of the handful that were installed/enabled by default in Emby.  Even if I wanted to it's kinda tough to get into the guts of a Synology NAS to install all the pieces some of the more complicated ones need, if all said pieces are even compatible.

A big part of why I landed on Emby over Jellyfin, aside from the fact it actually works, is because there is a core full time development team... and the hope that features like this are added and fully supported in the core software someday, and not loosely connected third party installations.  I think that "it just works" is one of Emby's bigger selling points.

Edited by Dreakon13

DanielFrank
On 17/02/2024 at 18:34, mike3821 said:

It’s strange to me unless you’re in the same room as the other people. 

How would you even speak to the other person? Because I do talk to other people some times when watching. 

Oh, I don't know. That must be impossible, in the day of age.

• Haha 1