Misinthe

How much CPU/RAM Needed

Misinthe

Hey everyone, I was wondering how much CPU and RAM does Emby needs to run efficiently. I currently have a 6C/12T Ryzen 2600 with 16GB of RAM and I have no issues, but I am trying to see if I can do a couple VMs on the server, but I am not sure how much I can take away from Emby for it to still run smoothly. I was also thinking about transferring the server to an older i7 3770 system which is 4C/8T, so it should be enough for Emby. But that would mean running 2 systems instead of 1. 

Thank you for your comments, any input is appreciated.

rechigo
Posted (edited)

Let me start off by saying it doesn't need very much. Back about a year ago my server was running on a 2009 Mac Mini with a Core 2 Duo P8400 and just 4 gigabytes of RAM w/ a single external HDD. If transcoding wasn't a necessity for me, I guarantee I would still be using that server to this day as it ran very smoothly for me without any issues.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to two factors: how many users you plan to have accessing your server at once and how many concurrent transcodes you plan to have

See this article: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159036-system-requirements

Edited by rechigo
  • Like 1

BAlGaInTl

Hey everyone, I was wondering how much CPU and RAM does Emby needs to run efficiently. I currently have a 6C/12T Ryzen 2600 with 16GB of RAM and I have no issues, but I am trying to see if I can do a couple VMs on the server, but I am not sure how much I can take away from Emby for it to still run smoothly. I was also thinking about transferring the server to an older i7 3770 system which is 4C/8T, so it should be enough for Emby. But that would mean running 2 systems instead of 1. 

Thank you for your comments, any input is appreciated.

Let me start off by saying it doesn't need very much. Back about a year ago my server was running on a 2009 Mac Mini with a Core 2 Duo P8400 and just 4 gigabytes of RAM w/ a single external HDD. If transcoding wasn't a necessity for me, I guarantee I would still be using that server to this day as it ran very smoothly for me without any issues.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to two factors: how many users you plan to have accessing your server at once and how many concurrent transcodes you plan to have

See this article: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159036-system-requirements

I'll second this.

Emby doesn't need that much to run, especially if you aren't transcoding a lot.  It seems that you need some transcoding.

If the 2600 is working fine now, then how much you need is really dependent on what else you want to run and not on Emby.

• Like 1

Misinthe

I'll second this.

Emby doesn't need that much to run, especially if you aren't transcoding a lot.  It seems that you need some transcoding.

If the 2600 is working fine now, then how much you need is really dependent on what else you want to run and not on Emby.

Well, I only have like 5 users total. And usually it's only 2 or at most 3 at streaming at the same time. The reason I was asking was because I was planing on splitting the 6C/12T and only give emby 1C/2T. I don't know if that will be enough.

rechigo

As long as you're not transcoding, that should be just fine for 2-3 concurrent streams