Page up/down reverse

bkai

Is there any way to reverse the page up/down actions?  I have my remote mapped to the basic page up/down functions as defined every other application that uses them on my Shield but I noticed that in LiveTV on Emby they are literal page up/down actions to the list... move up in channel listing/number or down.  Because of this, pressing page up moves down the list visually and pressing page down moves back up the list.  It would be nice to have a way to reverse this so that pressing page down moves down the list visually and page up moves up the list... same as using the direction pads.

Hi. Exactly what buttons have you mapped on your remote?

I'm using a Harmony remote and have Ch/Pg mapped to Next/Previous Track respectively which seem to translate into Page up/down in most apps I've used it in. I can swap these on the remote itself or even create a new Activity with a different layout per app on the Shield but I was hoping to not have to do that or swap between Activities just to use the guide in LiveTV on Emby. It would be more convenient to have a setting that reverses the action of these buttons within Emby. When I was using Kodi I had to swap them there as well in the keymap file.

This is the same for me but I’ve just grown to live with it

Right, it's not a make or break deal. That's why I put it in feature requests. I really liked being able to remap buttons pretty much however I wanted to in Kodi and I've only recently just switched so I might feel differently in a few weeks or so anyway.

But, if someone is actually using a "Next Track" button wouldn't you expect that to go forward (down) in the presentation?

If you leave those buttons as channel buttons (or map them as page up and page down), I think it will work as you expect.

But, if someone is actually using a "Next Track" button wouldn't you expect that to go forward (down) in the presentation?

If you leave those buttons as channel buttons (or map them as page up and page down), I think it will work as you expect.

The problem is that there is no channel up/down on the Shield. Next/Previous Track is the closest option that works for most apps in simulating channel or page up/down.

The problem is that there is no channel up/down on the Shield. Next/Previous Track is the closest option that works for most apps in simulating channel or page up/down.

Can you configure it in your remote as a generic Android device perhaps?  Android recognizes all of those keys (page, channel, next track)

Can you configure it in your remote as a generic Android device perhaps? Android recognizes all of those keys (page, channel, next track)

As far as I know it will only accept the targeted device's bank of commands and the Shield device does not have these. I'm not sure if the Shield would respond to a generic Android TV device. I could certainly try but then I'm still in the same boat of running multiple activities for one device if I want to retain the current configuration for other apps.

Edit: unless of course the other apps take a generic Android TV device commands fine as well.

Edit: well the only generic Android TV device I'm finding is the Nexus Player and it also does not have page/channel up/down.

Edited by bkai

What about just sending keyboard commands for page up and down...?

Not sure if that's possible on the Harmony Hub... it will only register as one BT device on the Shield so I can't add a BT keyboard device to the Harmony and have both connect using the same BT ID. Not to mention having to reprogram all my other activities to use keyboard commands instead of the Harmony remote commands (assuming everything else will take keyboard commands just fine). If anything I suppose I could just swap the buttons as originally suggested since Emby gets far more use on my Shield than anything else where page up/down can be used and just deal with it being reversed on the less used apps instead. Dunno, just seems like it would easier to have the option of remapping within Emby but I'm not sure what kind of lag that would impose on key reaction times.

I'm still quite confused that this isn't behaving as you would expect.  Page Down, Channel Down, Fast Forward and Next (chapter) all cause the guide to page down one page.  Why is that not what is expected...?

I'm still quite confused that this isn't behaving as you would expect. Page Down, Channel Down, Fast Forward and Next (chapter) all cause the guide to page down one page. Why is that not what is expected...?

"Next" does page down the LiveTV listing in Emby but I have Next applied to the Channel Up button on the remote because other apps I've used required this layout

I'm sorry, but the others seem backwards to me...  If the buttons were labeled "Next" and "Prev" wouldn't you expect them to do what they do?

Right, I don't disagree. I'm just saying button remapping would be a nice feature to have in the event someone is trying to standardize their layouts for the least common denominator even if that means the majority are not functioning in a way that makes better sense. I had this same issue with a side scrolling layout in Kodi but I was able to remap there using keyboard commands in a remap index.