Need clarification on Emby's 'terms' please guys!!

Gaz

Guys hoping that you can please help me answer a few questions to help bring me up to speed on Emby's requirements in order to use it today.

I'm asking as my kids used to be able to access and stream my media library from my server to their consoles in their rooms via their consoles built in web browser, but it would appear that this is no longer an option without purchasing a 'Premiere' subscription? Is this true?

Streaming media from my server to a computer with a web browser is however free and doesn't require a subscription to be paid?

Streaming media from my server to an Android mobile phone, Android tablet, a Roku device or Nvidia Shield is free?

If I just need devices to be used for the sole purpose of just being able to view my media in a different rooms (with no requirement for fancy recording/guides/media enhancements etc) can the Emby team confirm that the above listed devices will remain 'free' for the forseeable future?

I'm trying to look at this from the point of view of having bought media devices 12 months ago to solely enable media playback in other rooms around the house and then find out that suddenly you can no longer do so and have to pay to use that feature.

So if tomorrow I go and install a PC in my kids rooms, or maybe an Android tablet etc should I expect that somewhere down the line this 'free' basic media playback functionality could also become chargeable?

I don't want this to sound like I'm trying to avoid paying for a license as I like EMBY, I'm just more than a little concerned that say if you've bought multiple specific devices to perform a straight-forward media playback functionality around your house that you knew were 'free' to use and didn't cost anything to run this basic function, and then out of the blue down the line that basic functionality suddenly becomes chargeable then it's a real concern. I'm not questioning the fact that devs work hard providing updates and a wider range of features but if all you want is the basic playback functionality that it originally advertised it could do, had it, bought more devices around the house to use said feature and then discover that feature is no longer there and if you want it back then it's going to cost you then it's frustrating.

My understanding is that PLEX do not charge for simple playback on any device, Xbox, PS4 etc but DO charge for all the added bells and whistles for those customers that may require them? That's great if that's the case and honestly I would have expected the same to be true with Emby (as it always was) which is why I'm so shocked to discover otherwise.

In closing, could you guys please just let me know that if I need playback from server to consoles then this is now no longer 'free' and if I purchase a subscription will this let me stream my media to any device in the house or are there limits on how many devices can do so at the same time etc?

Thanks for your time in reading my question, don't want to appear pissed off, just frustrated to learn that I lost a feature that I thought was part of the 'basic' package and functionality of Emby etc.

Cheers :)

Hi.  Access from the Xbox does require Premiere.  We actually had intended it to be that way all along but there was a loophole before.

BTW - the Shield app also requires either Premiere or an unlock of the app.

As you know, we work quite hard on Emby and also have quite a few expenses to keep it going.  So we do require paid features in order for the entire system to exist.  IOW - the only way any of it can be free is because some people are paying since we do not use things like advertisements to generate revenue.

Thanks for your support.

Thanks for the reply @@ebr, can I please just ask for some clarification on:

1. I remember paying to use an Emby app on the first Android tablet I owned. Is that somehow 'linked' to my account or was that a one-off purchase to download and use Emby on only that device at that time?

2. The Nvidia Shield - is this the same principle as above in terms of a 'paid for' app that can only be used on that one Shield device and may I ask how much that is please?

3. Does the one-off 'Lifetime' subscription payment enable your account to use Emby on any and all devices around your house? If so. does this mean that I have to login to every device as myself or is a 'key' purchased that enables anyone logging into my media server to be able to stream from it without being asked to purchase the 'Premiere' pack as is the case now?

Grateful for your time and help with this so I know what devices to buy and how to proceed etc, thanks.

maegibbons

Generally apps are tied to stores. So if you unlock 1 shield, you can unlock 10 assuming they are on your account.

Same with Fire TV devices.

Krs

Mark

A 'like' is always appreciated!

• Like 1