Move from macOS to Linux

mireki1975

mireki1975

Hi there ,

i think about to move from my mac mini to a Intel NUC with Linux.

Now i have a few Questions :

is there a clean way to backup restore all settings without rebuilding the Library?

I think about a 10th Generation i5 NUC 

will this be a good choice even for transcoding? (Max 2 streams)

besides emby is FHEM,iobroker and a TVheadend Server running.

Server only - no tv attached

which OS would you prefer ? Ubuntu? Debian?

Thanks for tipps

Edited by mireki1975

mireki1975

Short update : if somebody has another idea for around ~400-500 Euro Barebone with 24/7 low power consumption under Linux ( USB 3.1 or TB3 for external enclosure) should raise the hand :D

mireki1975

I checked again my mini / i7 / 6Core 32 GB RAM and it handles transcoding very well

before some time it was a 99degree no go - but you have done a really good job.....maybe i can jump over the switch to linux ?

I think it just depends on what other software you want to run, and that will decide your OS.

Jdiesel

I like ubuntu for the sole purpose of its popularity. If you need to know how to setup anyting chances are someone else has already done it and posted a guide online. Stick with a LTS release.

mireki1975

Thanks so much,have to doublecheck-everything is complicated- pros and cons but stay healthy

negativzeroe

I run Debian. It's one if the most downstream distos so it's one of the most stable. Of course on the opposite end there is Arch and some people harp on it, some swear by it. I run it on my laptop and I like it because you tell it exactly what you want it to do. And it does, nothing more.

But for migration I strongly suggest migrating to docker no matter what os you choose as it's by far the most portable option. Luke could tell you the config path probably but the only thing you need to do is put it in a desired location and map /config to it. Unless you map exactly the same path in the container (/Users/me/Videos/Movies for example) you'll most likely be scanning the library again (/movies is cleaner anyhow) but assuming you copied your full config directory it should keep all the same metadata. If you are copying from the Mac to a drive you can use rsync -au --progress /source/ /destination/ to keep the dates and use file creation date under library added to library settings to keep some kind of resemblance of a timeline.

Are you familiar at all with Linux or containers?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Edited by negativzeroe
  • Like 1

mireki1975

Thanks for your answer negativzeroe

Linux and Containers should no problem , questions is-> is hardware acceleration available under Docker?

negativzeroe

Oh yeah you can also map paths so

/mnt/media:/mnt/media

Then paths are the same on host and container.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

sfatula

I did exactly that, migrated Emby from Mac OSX to Ubuntu. Pretty painless using the backup plugin. If I recall correctly, series timers are not migrated over so had to be setup again. Ubuntu is now my desktop as well. Migrating all my data, photos, Mac app file formats, etc from Mac to Ubuntu was a much much harder task than simply moving Emby. 

• Like 2