Hardware acceleration failed(emby run as a docker container)

kriser

kriser
hello guys,

I ran emby as a docker container in my OMV, but when I updated emby server from 4.2.1 to the latest 4.4.2, my hardware acceleration become Unavailable.

It's work good when i use 4.2.1, but have some trouble with pgs sub movies and hevc 10bit movies transcode low performance. So I decided to upgrade emby server to latest stable 4.4.2, then i faced this problem.

attached logs.

logs.zip

Hi there, what hardware do you have, and what have you done to set it up in the docker container?

kriser

my cpu is intel J4105 with UHD605, I confirm it's support hevc 10bit hardware decode. container setting is same with 4.2.1, just changed image to emby/embyserver:latest.

and i have tried to set UID/GID/GIDLIST to 0, it's still have same error message([mpegts @ 0x2509e00] H.264 bitstream error, startcode missing, size 0) failed hardware transcode then returned to software transcode.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Time to bump this topic.

As I got myself an ASRock J5040 board just yesterday I was excited how hardware acceleration might work as I come from an RPi4 (where it actually worked, but well...).

So after installing Emby in Docker I ran in the same issue as mentioned above. This affects the Emby image as well as the Linuxserver image. I tried half a day, thinking what I could have done wrong until I tried the same thing with... Jellyfin in the Linuxserver image. No problems at all. Damn it.

So it seems it has nothing to do with permission or else.

The graphics card shows up beautifully, but transcoding only produces some pictures with artefacts.

So for the time being as this problem is around for half a year I don't want to, but I have to think about switching to one of the other media servers.

Edited by ahrendt

Attached are logs of trying to play a file in Emby and in Jellyfin.

Docker is set up like this:

docker run -d \
  --name=emby \
  -e PUID=1000 \
  -e PGID=1000 \
  -e TZ=Europe/Berlin \
  -p 8096:8096 \
  -v /home/user/Docker/emby/config:/config \
  -v /media/usb/hdd1/Medien:/media/HDD1 \
  -v /media/usb/hdd2/Medien:/media/HDD2 \
  --device /dev/dri:/dev/dri \
  --restart unless-stopped \
ghcr.io/linuxserver/emby

And as stated before, it doesn't make any difference if I use the official Emby image or the one from Linuxserver.io.

Jellyfin is set up just the same.

Tried Emby beta as well and the error was the same.

The only thing that sticks out to me in the first place when you compare the logs is the different FFmpeg version. But can it be that simple?

I tried out Jellyfin because the thread opener said that it occured somewhere between 4.2.1 and 4.4.2. Jellyfin forked much earlier, so there was a chance that it could actually work - and it did.

If I can help with more information, just tell me. I want to contribute as much as I can here.

My board is a successor of the one mentioned above, same graphics chip.

ffmpeg-transcode-e697451d-271e-434e-87f7-bf89e86a4036 - jellyfin.txt ffmpeg-transcode-79404661-6e69-4cab-8553-5e960e602df0_1.txt

Edited by ahrendt

That's what I meant when I said Linuxserver or Emby image.

So yes I did. And to be sure I just tried again to present you a log from this try.

My run command is as follows, but that shouldn't be the problem as everything is detected finely.

docker run -d \
  --name=emby2 \
  --volume /home/alex/Docker/emby2/config:/config \
  --volume /media/usb/hdd1/Medien:/media/HDD1 \
  --volume /media/usb/hdd2/Medien:/media/HDD2 \
  --device /dev/dri:/dev/dri \
  -p 8096:8096 \
  -e PUID=1000 \
  -e PGID=1000 \
  -e GIDLIST=44 \
  -e GIDLIST=109 \
  --restart unless-stopped \
  emby/embyserver:latest

ffmpeg-transcode-7129354d-3234-4c49-a61f-6d9ef3e3e0d5_1.txt

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ahbi_santini said:

Any progress on this?

Hi there. I see this is your first posting in this topic. We're happy to help. Please see how to report a problem:

Thanks.

Yes this may be his first posting, nevertheless there is an issue I already described as much as possible.

I don't wanna be rude here as I guess you're doing your best. But as transcoding needs Emby Premiere anyway this is a paid service. And as a costumer I expected a little more. This is why you lost one with me to the other one, at least for the next year.

@ahrendt - Please apologize the late reply, I missed your posts and I agree that - as a premiere subscriber - you surely can expect a timely response.

That being said, I got some advice, though (also @ahbi_santini): Create your own topics. When you want to report a problem, don't  create "me too" postings in other user's topics. In most cases, you don't have the same issue (btw, that's even true in this topic), and all attention usually goes to the OP's issue.

@ahrendt I understand your disappointment. Please let me know whether you would want to work with me on troubleshooting your issue!

Thanks,
softworkz

K22R8CT
On 11/14/2020 at 1:21 PM, ahrendt said:

Time to bump this topic.

The graphics card shows up beautifully, but transcoding only produces some pictures with artefacts.

There's a bug in the iHD driver with Gemini Lake (j4105, j5005, j5040, etc.)

You can work around it by forcing emby to use the i965 driver. In the container run:

mv /lib/dri/iHD_drv_video.so /lib/dri/iHD_drv_video.so.disabled

Then restart it.

The bug's just been fixed in the latest intel master (see #930)

https://github.com/intel/media-driver/pull/1078

Hopefully it'll make it way to emby soon.

Edited by Anon28109
  • Thanks 2

Just hit this on an odroid h2+ I bought to turn into a portable transcoding media server... on a debian 10 install this got transcoding working:

mv /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so.bak

I see emby provides its own in /opt/emby-server/lib/dri/iHD_drv_video.so, I also moved that out of the way but it didnt help. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ahrendt said:

Wanted to give it another shot, still having the same issue with 4.5.4.

You could try the 4.6 beta channel as there has been a lot of transcoding related development recently around the new tone mapping feature.

• 1 month later...
sittingmongoose

@Lukehaving an issue with getting hardware transcoding working.  I used to have nvidia as an option under advanced, but now no matter what i do i cant get quicksync or nvidia to show up.  I even wiped the docker and all data thinking maybe something got messed up.

I am running a 9900k, p2000 on Unraid 6.9.2, using emby server 4.6.34.  Plex sees my p2000 fine and so does Tdarr.

I have tried linux server emby docker beta, and the emby offcial beta docker.  Both give the same results.  I can ls and see the igpu fine.

Things ive tried for Nvidia.  I added --runtime=nvidia, the visible devices variable and device capabilities variable.  These are the settings that work for plex and tdarr.  

Things ive tried for Intel.  I added --device=/dev/dri and i also tried adding it as a device.

Both options give the same result.  There are no options in my advanced section of transcoders.  I am no longer able to use the Emby official beta docker because now I get an error saying port 1900 is already being used.  I get around this by removing that variable in the linux server docker.

Edited by sittingmongoose