move to Chapter division in MKV video

Gfpiccolo
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

That would be some sort of post-processing of recordings.  You cannot skip commercials in live TV (that would be a neat trick though ;)).

We are concentrating on the live support at this moment.  Specifically commercial skip is a bit of a sticky-wicket but, I think, we can eventually do it with the EDL type approach.

• Like 1

maegibbons

All i am saying is give us the functionality to skip chapters in the app and leave it to us to get the marks in to the mkv OR provide the edl file.

The issue with the edl file approach is that you will need to get that from the server as well needing a server change involving Luke. Skipping predefined chapter marks does NOT, it is just app functionality addition, which is why I think it would be a good 1st step and bring functionality now rather than in 2 years after Live TV is revamped.

Krs

Mark

A 'like' is always appreciated!

All i am saying is give us the functionality to skip chapters in the app and leave it to us to get the marks in to the mkv 

The app does have this ability.  You can do it visually or with three quick clicks.  To provide the ability to react to an actual "chapter-skip" remote button isn't a 5 minute task so it is not at the top of the list right now because very few people would be able to take advantage of it due to most of the remotes not having any such button on them.

So, until I get to that, the three clicks method is this functionality.

maegibbons

The app does have this ability. You can do it visually or with three quick clicks. To provide the ability to react to an actual "chapter-skip" remote button isn't a 5 minute task so it is not at the top of the list right now because very few people would be able to take advantage of it due to most of the remotes not having any such button on them.

So, until I get to that, the three clicks method is this functionality.

No. You are missing my point.

I just want to press play at the beginning of the file and for it to AUTO skip when it hits a Commercial marker and start playing at the next Show marker.

Not talking about remotes and remote buttons. The idea is NOT to press anything. Just enjoy the show, no adds, no pauses, no clicks.

Krs

Mark

No. You are missing my point.

I just want to press play at the beginning of the file and for it to AUTO skip when it hits a Commercial marker and start playing at the next Show marker.

Not talking about remotes and remote buttons. The idea is NOT to press anything. Just enjoy the show, no adds, no pauses, no clicks.

Krs

Mark

That cannot happen without server-side support for some sort of EDL.  Chapter points could not be used for this because there is no "type" of chapter.  Previously discussed the possibility of EDL support.

Spaceboy

As I said earlier the LG app manages a chapter skip button just fine.

problem is the limited number of buttons available on a typical android tv device. Often it is just up down left right ok back and home.

maegibbons

That cannot happen without server-side support for some sort of EDL. Chapter points could not be used for this because there is no "type" of chapter. Previously discussed the possibility of EDL support.

Thats not so. The Chapters are marked/called/titled (whatever you want to call it) as "Commercial" or "Show". So you just have to check the chapter title not a type as such.

Krs

Mark

PenkethBoy

What Mark is saying is that a file with chapter markers muxed into the file - so only the video file no additional files needed

Those chapters are called Show and Commercial - what they are called is irrelevant - could be anything say banana, Eric-Ignore_this_chapter etc etc

If those chapter "Names" are encountered - skip to the next chapter

No edl file, no server side fix - just a ATV feature to start with, to skip a defined chapter name

You have the code to do this manually via the ATV GUI - so "just" need a way to trigger it automatically.

PenkethBoy

That would be some sort of post-processing of recordings.  You cannot skip commercials in live TV (that would be a neat trick though ;)).

Comskip can do its thing on live tv (since at least 2016) as well as finished recordings - produce an edl file or whatever is needed

Reading that as its created and applying to the live stream would be the neat trick

I'm sorry but that kind of temporary implementation of such an obscure thing just isn't practical.  I believe we will eventually get some sort of EDL support into the product properly.

maegibbons

I'm sorry but that kind of temporary implementation of such an obscure thing just isn't practical.  I believe we will eventually get some sort of EDL support into the product properly.

Sounds to me your appetite is none too good!!

Why do you regard it as Temporary?  I would regard it as progressive!!  You need to have similar code to act on an EDL file.  This is a stepping stone.  And how can you regard it as "obscure".  We are using Chapter Markers to segment pieces of video, exactly what they are therefore, in an innovative and very useful way.

"Stop hitting me with those negative waves"  - Kellys Heroes  

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

Its only temporary and obscure because you choose to see it that way

Chapter markers are already supported - check

have ability to skip to a chapter - check

combine the above to skip to a chapter based on a specific name - minimal additional code to be added

• Like 1

maegibbons

It's pretty obvious you've never written a piece of software.

Thats very much fighting talk!

My moneys on @@PenkethBoy

Krs

Mark

• Like 1