Emby on Apple TV 4K and Dolby Atmos

Sootchucker

Sootchucker

Hi all, bit of a noob here. I’ve been running Emby premier for about 2 years now flawlessly.

My movies and Emby server are located on my Qnap TS-453a NAS, and is connected by gigabit Ethernet to my Apple TV 4K which is my main unit I use for Emby, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. to my 50” Samsung 4K TV.

I have just purchased a brand new soundbar (Samsung Q70R) which supports Dolby Atmos. To try it out I downloaded from Dolby labs, a couple of their demo sample videos encoded with Atmos, and I’ve put these on the NAS. However try as I might, I can’t seem to get playback in Atmos (the soundbar tells you on the front when you are playing back an Atmos source). I have the Apple TV hooked directly up to the soundbars HDMI port and the other HDMI (Arc) on the soundbar goes to the TV’s HDMI Arc input. 

I’ve tried everything and can’t get Atmos from any Source on the NAS via Emby. However if I play. Movies purchased though iTunes through the TV app on the Apple TV, the ones with Atmos play back perfectly and the Soundbar says “Dolby Atmos” ?

Am I doing something wrong please, and does EMBY for Qnap even allow Atmos pass through ?

Thanks in advanced.

vdatanet

Apple TV supports Atmos DD+. This format is used by iTunes and other streaming services. Local content is Atmos TrueHD and it's not supported by Apple TV. Emby has nothing to do with this. If you need Atmos for local content, Apple TV is not your device, you should get an Nvidia Shield for that.

Sootchucker

Sorry the the late reply (lots going on). OK, well that’s a pity but thanks anyway.