Odroid XU4 and 4K h.625 transcoding to 1080p h.264

alexjcgdf

alexjcgdf

I am new here and using Emby on an old old old laptop here (12 years old).

By default direct play goes smoothly for 1080p movies in all devices, even remotely. But when I go to a 4K h.265, my 4k devices goes well since it is direct play but I have an 1080p tv which would require transcoding and so it fails.

My question is: I am planning on bying an Odroid XU4 board to be my Emby server instead of the laptop. Does it can carry the job? I would need only 1 transcoding streaming at a time. Also as I understood, I would have to buy the premier subscription, which I think is totally worthy if that gives me the option of acceletation.

Does anyone could help me?

Thanks

alexjcgdf

I was already looking over that thread today, but there is no update status of that. Like for example in that thread, they use a custom ffmpeg encoder and a custom emby. Is that viable yet? The actual version of Emby have that support already?

I was already looking over that thread today, but there is no update status of that. Like for example in that thread, they use a custom ffmpeg encoder and a custom emby. Is that viable yet? The actual version of Emby have that support already?

I wouldn't recommend a setup like this at all. When those devices are brought to market, the primary goal of manufacturers is to support accelerated video decoding to a connected display panel or a TV via HDMI. Neither hw nor software design is intended for such kind of device being a transcoding server. The encoding side it is typically sized for video conferencing or recording from a low-res camera..

On those devices, chances for having video acceleration working are generally better when using Android instead of Linux because the SOCs in those devices are more commonly used with Android which increases the chances for hw acceleration support. But that's all still pretty flaky and you might end up having nothing usable at all. 

If you are looking for an ultra-low-cost device that can do hw accelerated transcoding, I would instead consider getting a used Samsung Galaxy phone for example (S6, S7, S8,..) and run the Emby Android Server on it. Most likely it will work right away without much pain (options for attaching storage might be limited, though).

alexjcgdf

I wouldn't recommend a setup like this at all. When those devices are brought to market, the primary goal of manufacturers is to support accelerated video decoding to a connected display panel or a TV via HDMI. Neither hw nor software design is intended for such kind of device being a transcoding server. The encoding side it is typically sized for video conferencing or recording from a low-res camera..

On those devices, chances for having video acceleration working are generally better when using Android instead of Linux because the SOCs in those devices are more commonly used with Android which increases the chances for hw acceleration support. But that's all still pretty flaky and you might end up having nothing usable at all. 

If you are looking for an ultra-low-cost device that can do hw accelerated transcoding, I would instead consider getting a used Samsung Galaxy phone for example (S6, S7, S8,..) and run the Emby Android Server on it. Most likely it will work right away without much pain (options for attaching storage might be limited, though).

Understood your point. I dont have a Galaxy but I do have a PixelXL (better than the Galaxy S7)  here with me that I will test. 

I was thinking then the following setup:

* Rooted ROM of an Androi10 distribuition - In fact I eager for suggestions here regarding which one to use;

* The rooted ROM will give me the possibility to mount locally a NAS drive

* My router is a Netgear r6700v2 with DD-WRT which gives me on Wifi A band something about trully 200/300Mbps

* The phone will be connected directly on the power.

What of this is not a good idea or could be done diffrently?

Sounds reasonable except that you should avoid Android 10. We have some problems with transcoding on some versions of Android 10 and I can't tell exactly on what it depends.Any earlier Android version will be fine, though.

mark-in-dallas

I have a Galaxy S8 and haven't been able to root since the S6, but would suggest heading over the the XDA Developers forum and reading up on the various ROMS available for your phone, and maybe even trying out a couple until you find the one you like best.  Here's the link to the ROM section for your particular phone:  https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-xl/development

It's not necessary to have a rooted device for Emby Server to run. Storage can also be connected via USB.

Also, before starting to install ROMs, I would just install Emby Server on the existing ROM and see how it works.

Also, when using custom ROMs, there's always a chance that such small details like including the right hw acceleration drivers may be missing or not working correctly.

alexjcgdf

It's not necessary to have a rooted device for Emby Server to run. Storage can also be connected via USB.

Also, before starting to install ROMs, I would just install Emby Server on the existing ROM and see how it works.

The original one is an AOSP Android 10. That is what is in there now. The thing related to the root is just to become possible to attach the NAS on my network and mount it locally.

In other thoughts here, if I use a USB-C HUB with power attached, it would be able to have a external HDD and being powered at the same time?

alexjcgdf

but, if I connect via USB how do I charge my phone?

option 2, can Emby access directly a sftp or a smb share without mapping or mounting it on the system?

alexjcgdf

I have a Galaxy S8 and haven't been able to root since the S6, but would suggest heading over the the XDA Developers forum and reading up on the various ROMS available for your phone, and maybe even trying out a couple until you find the one you like best.  Here's the link to the ROM section for your particular phone:  https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-xl/development

Before anything thnaks for getting the info.

I am an user of XDA since when I had my motorola milestone 2 lol with Android 1.6.

I have never stayed with the original ROM but when I started buying the Nexus/Pixel which gave me the so dreamed AOSP. In fact the AOSP is light as bloatless as possible but it is not rooted. I could root it alone and leave with the original ROM. That would give me all the freedom I need without having the possibility of having a system that doesnt trully uses the full of my hardware. is that a possibility?

mark-in-dallas

As I said, I've not been able to root in a couple of years now, but yeah I would think that rooting the phone and keeping the original OS should allow you to do whatever you want, without losing any functionality or introducing any glitches.

alexjcgdf

Well, let's start with the Pixel Android 9 server:

Considering that I am premiere, shouldn't be hardware instead of software decoding in there?4ead12ea0ae62c2f509b0819536aac8a.jpg39bcd583011436abb7f57d985dd3ae52.jpgee72b5b387392ae1887686814867dd1d.jpg9d8f88aa3b30d85d1a7b57b2983a657c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

alexjcgdf

Can you please attach ffmpeg log? Thanks.

How do I get it on Android?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

@@alexjcgdf - Sorry for replying late.

The qualcomm hw codecs are not used in automatic mode, you need to use custom mode like in post #20.

It seems to fail, though. Could you please restart Emby Server, retry and then post ffmpeg log and the regular Emby Server log?

Thanks

• Like 1