Active Devices

jordy

jordy

Hi,

This is something that has bugged me for a while now.

Question: How long after an App or Device is inactive / switched off etc, should it continue to display in the Active Devices list?

I keep seeing devices in this list that have been literally turned off for days. If I restart the Server, those devices disappear

IMO. If a device is no longer active - App closed down or Device turned off etc, it should disappear from this list within a minute or two at most. An App or Device that is still logged on, but not actively playing media should disappear after 30mins.

I think It's confusing to see a long list of devices that are not currently, and have not been active for anything up to 1 or 2 days.

Thanks, jordy

post-196-0-75951600-1588045291_thumb.png

• Like 1

mpg732

Does this effect some thing your trying to do?  If no then does it matter? I noticed the same issue on Plex.  Back when I used to use it, before I found the light.  LOL

Happy2Play

If I remember correctly once a app/client has logged in the Cast feature has the ability to now cast to these devices even after closing the app.  These items remain until the server is restored.

jordy

If I remember correctly once a app/client has logged in the Cast feature has the ability to now cast to these devices even after closing the app.  These items remain until the server is restored.

So, let me get this right - if turn off the TV, which in turn shuts down the Shield, I can re-awaken the TV and Shield by casting from the server?

If so, I'm not sure why anyone would need that, personally I like to be in front of the TV screen when I'm playing something...

1 My server is at the other end of the house

2 Using Emby on my phone/tablet etc is way more labor intensive than picking up my shield remote and pressing one button to wake it all up ready to play

just sayin'

Edited by jordy

Happy2Play

I only know this is how the Roku app works.  It requires you to launch it once, and are able to to hold the cast ability.

Blaqwolf

In reply to OP. Yes I have  the same question. That screen sometimes gets pretty cluttered up, would it be a pain to have a remove option in the corner of every active device window once it is not actively playing?

• Like 1

jordy

I only know this is how the Roku app works.  It requires you to launch it once, and are able to to hold the cast ability.

OK. just updated to latest 4.5.0.8 so they've all cleared. I'll run the Shield/ATV and then close it down for a while then test to see if i works as you say. Still can't think of a situation where it would be handy tho (given my equipment & set up etc of course) :)

OK. just updated to latest 4.5.0.8 so they've all cleared. I'll run the Shield/ATV and then close it down for a while then test to see if i works as you say. Still can't think of a situation where it would be handy tho (given my equipment & set up etc of course) :)

The Shield does not have this capability at this time.

• Like 1

jordy

The Shield does not have this capability at this time.

yep, found that out last night. Not that I need (or want) it anyway :)