TV Shows getting changed to unwatched

hlarimer
Go to solution Solved by Redshirt,

Try something - mark a few of these items as favorites as well. Then, if the watched status gets reset again, note whether or not the favorite status went away also. This will indicate to us if it is specifically a watched status item or if all user data is getting lost.

I'll try that and report back if it reoccurs.

It seems to be intermittent so tough to troubleshoot for us and you guys!

The only thing I can think of is the tvdb id for the series getting changed somehow. that's what the user data is keyed from.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.  That somehow it is related to metadata changing.  I thought maybe from the bug that was in the initial server release this time but if it's still happening I guess not.  Anyway, if the favorite goes away too, then it is the entire user-data we are losing.  If not, then something goofy is happening with playstates.

• Solution
Redshirt

Trakt doesn't update the site when you manually mark something watched. If you have Trakt set to refresh on a schedule it will be pulling what it thinks are the correct playsates and overwriting the local ones

• Like 1

Aha.  That sure sounds like the answer.  If you guys can confirm this is what is going on then mark Red's answer as the solution.  Thanks.

the3kgt2

Well there ya go. The Trakt plugin is the problem. If we can't manually mark movies and TV as watched without Trakt overwriting it, then we have no choice but to never use your Trakt plugin. Oh well

The only thing I can think of is the tvdb id for the series getting changed somehow. that's what the user data is keyed from.

swhitmore

Ok I marked an item as a favourite then manually set it's playstate to watched. It was still a favourite when the playstate was set back to unwatched. I also use Trakt, and I also realised that I set the import from the site on a schedule (because I was still using MB2 and wanted to sync the playstates with MB3). Sounds like this is the issue for me at least.

Is it possible for Trakt to update when you set something manually? I think this would be very helpful.

I still find it odd that the same items that switched themselves to unwatched in the first place, are showing as 'new'.

OK I've set a few as favourites to see how that turns out.

It just occurred to me, I wonder if anyone else having this issue uses Trakt? Could that be at fault?

OK I've set a few as favourites to see how that turns out.

It just occurred to me, I wonder if anyone else having this issue uses Trakt? Could that be at fault?

Well, we'll have to wait and see but that would be interesting to know since that plug-in does have the ability to modify your play state.

Removed Trakt plug ins and will see what happens.

I do not have the play states import from Trakt. Only upload to Trakt so I wouldn't have thought that this was at fault.

the3kgt2

I'll test it out to confirm.

Confirmed. Uninstalling the Trakt plugin fixed everything. There should be a warning that this plugin breaks manual updates.

Confirmed. Uninstalling the Trakt plugin fixed everything. There should be a warning that this plugin breaks manual updates.

No there shouldn't be, because it's not expected behavior. It's a bug that we didn't know about until this thread was created. So really it should just be fixed.

Redshirt

I'm going to update the Trakt plugin so that when something manually gets marked as watched or unwatched, the trakt site will be notified. This will alleviate the issue as the wrong info won't be getting pulled from the site. This update required a change be made to MB server, so it won't be possible until after that release goes public. 

Also I'm away on vacation next week, so it may be after I get back before I can release a working update.

swhitmore

Also I'm away on vacation next week, so it may be after I get back before I can release a working update.

Who approved this vacation??? Get back to work!

I'm going to update the Trakt plugin so that when something manually gets marked as watched or unwatched, the trakt site will be notified. This will alleviate the issue as the wrong info won't be getting pulled from the site. This update required a change be made to MB server, so it won't be possible until after that release goes public. 

you can release it as soon as i put the nuget package up, and then they'll get it once their server gets upgraded.

• Like 1

you can release it as soon as i put the nuget package up, and then they'll get it once their server gets upgraded.

Yeah, just give it a required server version of whatever the proper dev release is and put it up.

Redshirt

Thanks guys. I knew that though. My intention was just to emphasize that uninstalling Trakt wasn't necessary that I'm going to fix the scenario. I didn't want to back myself into another corner and say it would be X day even though this looks like a fairly easy fix.