Virtual Folders

runtimesandbox

runtimesandbox

I've searched the forums and have seen a few "similar" requests but all slightly different and for different use cases. 

I saw this post on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/emby/comments/g2z01s/emby_icons/) and really like the idea of being able to have collections for Marvel, Disney, etc (all the popular stuff).

Reading through the comments it sounds like this was done by having these media items in separate folders and adding them as unique folders.

Having spent a long time organising my media I don't want to have to start organising it differently or duplicating content. 

Could we get the option to create "virtual" folders where we can use something like the metadata manager to add items to these folders (not bothered about it being "smart" and auto adding new content). That way we could achieve the same functionality as this 

denz

I thought emby can already do that with a collection. I have star wars movies together jason bourne collection etc

runtimesandbox

Yes collections can do it in a sense, but as far as I can tell you can't manually control collections and you can't get anything but "Collections" to show under the "My Media" tab on the home page. 

As such collections doesn't quite do this. A virtual folder would be similar to a collection but would allow manually adding the media item desired

Hi. You can manually add items to collections (right click, add to collection...) so I'm not sure how they don't cover what your are asking for here.

runtimesandbox

Okay I can see I can manually add an item to a pre existing collection (I had missed that) but I can't see a way to create a collection other than the ones that are generated with the autobox set plugin?

A virtual folder would be similar to the collection but would show as a Library folder (and therefore under the "My Media tab). it would then allow for the below to appear on the home screen for easy navigating 

5e9c99156a94a_vltdagqwoct41.png

I hope this makes the feature request clearer  :)

Edited by runtimesandbox

You create a new collection by selecting "New Collection" in the drop down list after "Add to collection...".

As for pinning these to "My Media" or the home screen in other fashion, I believe that will be covered by Smart Playlists

runtimesandbox

Okay I must genuinely be missing something as I have clicked on every menu (right click too) and I can't see the "New Collection" option anywhere. 

Where do I look for this? I'm currently using an admin user

Deathsquirrel

Okay I must genuinely be missing something as I have clicked on every menu (right click too) and I can't see the "New Collection" option anywhere. 

Where do I look for this? I'm currently using an admin user

Right at the top of the screen.  I've highlighted it in yellow in the screenshot below.

5e9cdb62b68bb_Capture.jpg