4.5.0.6 won't install on N5550

Hoochee

2 hours ago, bebaldin said:
Manufacturer Thecus
Product No. N5500
Firmware Version 5.03.02

FFMPEG version 3.1.1.0

Mono Runtime 4.4.2.11

Thanks! I appreciate any guidance you can offer. 

OK this is a 2009 NAS model, I think this is going to be going a bit too far back for what we can reasonably support. Thanks.

bebaldin

I figured as much. I really don't want to spend the money for a whole new NAS setup, but I guess its time. My two old Thecus NAS units have served very well over the years. 

Thanks for looking into this for me!

Hoochee

@bebaldinI had been running my server on an N5550 for years, i started using the server remotely more and to resolve some remote streaming issues I went with a NUC 8 and kept the N5550 as media storage. Much easier and less expensive than a new NAS + storage, and the NUC handles the emby server MUCH better (as expected)

bebaldin

Not a bad idea. Not much chance that Emby would not support those PC OSes well into the future, and I would be able to keep my existing NAS units. Are you serving content directly to your TV device by connecting the NUC directly to it, or are you doing it all over the network? Right now I have an Amazon Fire I use in each room with the Emby client which pulls from the Server installed on the NAS. In the new configuration, I would have the NUC in the middle of this. The Fire would contact the NUC (running Server) and request the content from the NAS storage. I wonder if there would be any performance issues there. My files are pretty optimized using HEVC and I don't do any sort of conversion at all presently since the old NAS didn't have the horsepower for it. 

Hoochee

I have one TV connected directly to the NUC (through a home theater system), all others are served over the network to Rokus (wired and wireless), then one remote stream. I also stream music in the car through my mobile to Bluetooth.

If you’re not seeing network bottlenecks now, you shouldn’t see them with the new set up if the only change will be adding the NUC. 

bebaldin
25 minutes ago, Hoochee said:

I have one TV connected directly to the NUC (through a home theater system), all others are served over the network to Rokus (wired and wireless), then one remote stream. I also stream music in the car through my mobile to Bluetooth.

If you’re not seeing network bottlenecks now, you shouldn’t see them with the new set up if the only change will be adding the NUC. 

Sounds good. I have never had any network issues with the content at all even considering the old NAS, and my entire network for home theater is Gb wired end to end. Back in the old 802.11G days, I did have issues with wireless which is why I ran Gb copper everywhere. Now, I have Wifi6 as well, which would probably work even better. 

Ordered a NUC just a few minutes ago to try. There's a 30 day full refund on it, so if for some reason it doesn't work, I can always send it back and go with a new NAS. Thanks for the advice and input. If this works you saved me a LOT of money in the end!