Samba folder cause player crash

AppleSeed

AppleSeed

Hi

I use Emby 4.4.2.0 in docker. I have nas (OMV on debian) with samba share on the same local network.

I add in Emby a movie folder with network path, everything fine (movies added).

When I want to read a movie on my Android TV, the player hang 20~30s, and stop (I don't have any message). I attach the server log (no transcoding), but there don't have any error.

I tried to read movie with the option 'use external player' on my Android TV, and it's work ! So it's seems the integrate player don't work when we use samba share ?

I also tried with :

- Emby theater on Windows 10 : seems work (test 5 minutes)

- in Chrome on Windows 10 : not work (movie starts and hang after ~1 minutes)

AppleSeed

I add this : 

\\192.168.1.110/Store/4K

The server see the movies, the scan works fine when I add some files.

Ok please try this instead: Mount the network share to a local path using the tools in the OS, then add the local path to emby instead of the SMB path. This will most likely resolve all of your issues. Please see if that helps. Thanks.

AppleSeed

That's what I tried to do in first, but I had some troubles with permission.

I explain : Emby run in docker with user remap (the root user in the docker is not uid=0 outside) so I add to my samba ACL permission two uid : root of docker and uid 997 of docker (with the remap). I mount the share with option user="uid of docker's root". After that, root in docker can read file, 997 no. If I mount the share with option user="uid of docker's 997", the docker not start (cannot read volume...).   (This part is hard to explain !)

So, it's not the subject, but I think samba share (with ACL) and docker volume don't work fine together ! That's why I use the network path in Emby.

No one use network path in Emby ? I didn't found samba issues on the forum.

mastrmind11

you set the uid/gid when you set up docker, and create volumes to your share(s) in your docker run command.  this is vanilla network sharing and works out of the box.  what do you have in your fstab for mounting your shares?

Edited by mastrmind11

That's what I tried to do in first, but I had some troubles with permission.

I would still suggest doing this, and let's just figure out the permissions problem.

AppleSeed

@@mastrmind11

So I try to figure out the permissions problem.

Docker doesn't care of ACL, so I mount the samba share with options uid and gid. When I exec inside the emby's container, the docker's root and user 997 can read and navigate inside my folder. BUT ! When I try to add the folder to create a new mediatheque (on the web), my folder is empty (normally I must see folder named 4K)

My fstab to illustrate. uid=362144 is for the root and gid=363141 is for user with uid=997. (997 correspond to my env variable UID for docker)

//192.168.1.110/Store   /data/store     cifs    uid=362144,gid=363141,credentials=/root/.smbcreds       0       2

I tried to check which user (his uid) is use in emby's docker to update the mediatheque, I just found the 997, is it him ?

Edited by Luke

mastrmind11

no.  you don't need to worry about whats inside the container, thats one of the benefits of docker in general, it manages itself.  you also don't need to know which user the docker process is running as (since it should be root in the first place).  When you set the uid/gid in your run command, it should map to a user _outside_ the container, generally this user is emby.  If you don't have an emby user, create one, then find the uid/gid of that user, and stick that info in your run command.  Once that's done you need to give the emby user read/write to your shares.  The easiest way to do this is to add emby to whichever group already has read/write to the share.  

• 2 weeks later...
AppleSeed

Some news ! Indeed no need to know how it's works, because it's work on my other volumes.

I will stop samba share for the moment because I found other problem, which maybe is the source of my others problems : with certains movies ( in 4K), the android app crash.

I quote my first message : "When I want to read a movie on my Android TV, the player hang 20~30s, and stop (I don't have any message). I attach the server log (no transcoding), but there don't have any error."

Maybe I will open new subject under Android section ?

Edited by AppleSeed

Ok please try this instead: Mount the network share to a local path using the tools in the OS, then add the local path to emby instead of the SMB path. This will most likely resolve all of your issues. Please see if that helps. Thanks.

Are you doing it this way now?

AppleSeed

Yes I did it, when I docker exec into the docker, it's work : I can read the movie with the root and the emby user. But under the web app, I can add the folder, but Emby didn't found any movie.

And I found another problem, some 4K movie don't work on Android TV (but work if I use the external player option, like I describe in the first post). So if I fix this problem, maybe the original samba share will work.

(Maybe the original problem isn't link to samba finally)

I can add the folder, but Emby didn't found any movie.

Can you please go over an example? Thanks.