minor annoyances

techywarrior

techywarrior

Ebr, this is pretty minor but thought I'd mention it in case it's something you would do, and can slip into a future release.

In MBC Settings there is a "tab" for General, View Options, etc. Those are all relevant no matter what theme is being loaded. If I load a theme other then Chocolate then that theme gets a settings tab as well. So far so good. How come Chocolate gets two tabs regardless of if it's loaded as the default theme or not? Since a restart of MBC is required to change themes shouldn't those two Chocolate specific setting tabs only show up when Chocolate is the theme? Is there an actual reason for this behavior? If not, and it's just there because you hard coded them into MBC instead of adding them in the Chocolate DLL, could you change it so it is the same as all the other themes?

I think it's slightly confusing to new users if they have a different theme loaded, and basically just takes up space in the menu unless you are using Chocolate.

AdrianW

I think the tabs appear when you have themes installed whether they're in use or not. So, if you have five themes installed, you could have five additional tabs showing, even though you're only currently using one theme.

If you uninstall chocolate (if that's even possible), then I'd expect those tabs to disappear.

techywarrior

Hm, maybe it's a larger issue then I realized. If that's true (that just having them installed adds the tab) then I think it should be looked at more seriously. It will get crazy if you install lots of themes. And if you need to restart MBC anyways then it doesn't seem to make sense.

Will wait for Ebr to chime in and see what he thinks.

Redshirt

Themes and plugins can both add tabs. They can also add more than one tab. Once the tabs are added there's no way to know what theme or plugin added them. When it was first designed that way I don't think the gang was expecting so many tabs to be added. 

If ebr was to refactor that code it may not be backwards compatible with current themes and then we run into the problem again of devs that have left and aren't maintaining their code.

techywarrior

Not sure that makes total sense Red. If the DLL is deleted the tab goes away so there must be some knowledge as to what goes with what.

If it would need dev changes then it may be a good idea to do soon (since most/all of the current plugins/themes are currently supported by their devs). Also, there have been other breaking changes so I don't think that would be a deal breaker if required (but obviously not my decision :) )

I've tried very hard to not make any breaking changes - as long as the themes are using standard practices.

However, you are mistaken about theme switching - you can switch themes on the fly.  There is no need to re-start MBC to switch themes.

Also, Red is right - there is currently no way to associate a config panel with any plug-in or theme.  Changing that would break all themes so it simply isn't worth it.

• Like 1

techywarrior

Ok, not worth breaking anything obviously. Was hoping it would be something simple but clearly it isn't.

If there is no association between the dll and the tab how can it remove the tab on uninstall?

Do you think this could lead to problems in the future tho?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Cheesegeezer

However, you are mistaken about theme switching - you can switch themes on the fly.  There is no need to re-start MBC to switch themes

@@techywarrior

The above statements that red and ebr mentioned are true, but to enlighten you, all plugins and themes are loaded when mbc is launched. If you install or uninstall and mbc theme or plugin that is when you require a restart because it checks for dll's at time of launch and is never checked again until the next restart.

I think it would require a lot of work from ebr to get it to check yet another config file to see what themes you are using currently for very little gains(basically tidying up an interface that is only occassionally used) if we start changing it now there will be a lot of confusion introduced i feel.

My opinion

If there is no association between the dll and the tab how can it remove the tab on uninstall?

Because the dll is what adds the config panel.

Do you think this could lead to problems in the future tho? 

What problems?  It has been this way since plug-ins were introduced to MB in like 2.1.

techywarrior

Well, you can end up with a lot of tabs in the config and then people may get confused why they change a setting and nothing happens. I'm just thinking of new users who try out a bunch of different themes or plugins and now have like 20 tabs to navigate thru with a remote. It may be too late but it doesn't seem like the best system organizationally.

Maleficarum

Personally I would have each theme save its config in a file with its dll and then have a theme options tab that exposes only the options of the selected theme. This would make things a lot cleaner. But if we're to far in to make that change that's OK.

Sent from my C1505 using Tapatalk

Personally I would have each theme save its config in a file with its dll and then have a theme options tab that exposes only the options of the selected theme. This would make things a lot cleaner. But if we're to far in to make that change that's OK.

Themes have the ability to do this if they wish and some do.  I think ST's more recent themes all manage their config items themselves instead of within the generic config pages.

techywarrior

Yes, Square has a config file for per user color settings and some other items.

Haha, that also happened because I "complained"/suggested that the settings for my GF was overwriting my settings each time one of us switched colors in Square :)

Maleficarum

What I meant was there would be a single tab in the configuratior that would expose the settings held in the config rather than a tab per theme it just seems overkill to expose all themes options at once

One people settle in to actually using their systems there should only be one or two themes installed.  Which is why I think this hasn't been a huge issue for most people.

When you said "configurator" did you actually mean the config pages in MBC?  The configurator is being phased out for most things.

Cheesegeezer

Yes, Square has a config file for per user color settings and some other items.

Haha, that also happened because I "complained"/suggested that the settings for my GF was overwriting my settings each time one of us switched colors in Square :)

What I meant was there would be a single tab in the configuratior that would expose the settings held in the config rather than a tab per theme it just seems overkill to expose all themes options at once

Ok, lets just settle this.. All themes have their own config page in the main mbc config... Install subdued and you'll see why!! (There's 3 pages) So much stuff for the user to config from that page. Install Xenon and you'll see how little, most of the theme is controlled by the folder(view) settings and even thats reduced.

Its a fact and ebr does so much for MBC, i feel its unfair to ask him to rejig the whole plugin config section to suit a few minor requirements, plus put that on active theme devs.

Edited by Cheesegeezer

techywarrior

Yea, it sounds like it may be too late for this to change. Ebr, if/when plugins get flags for the type they are (theme vs. plugin) could maybe all themes just be in a "theme" tab and then each theme would have the tabs they have now? Is that just as big of a change or is that simpler? Would be cool if the current theme could be marked in some way too (like with an asterix or color).

It was just an organizational suggestion so it's not the end of the world if it can't be done.

• Like 2