Android TV app cannot reach server

Daragaya
Go to solution Solved by Daragaya,

Daragaya

Have a synology 1815 and envy server running on it. Just installed libraries and can access them from lan ip. Envy comes up down and performs fine in web browsers. I have installed emby app on shield tv and logged in with pin and used ip as well and it says server needs to be awakened. I click on wake and it sys it cannot wake the server.

This is my first foray into emby. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

Hi, where does it say that it "needs to be awakened". I don't think we even have any text like that in our system. What exactly did it say?

Daragaya

When I click on my server, it takes a  minute and says:
Server Unavailable. 

The Server XXX cannot be reached. it may no longer be available. Would you like to try to wake or remove it.

I click on Wake and then it says:
Unable to wake server

Again, I do not have this issue with browsers (tested in chrome and firefox) but only on ShieldTv with Emby App. 

Thanks!

Is Emby Server actively running on your Synology at the time that you tried this?

Daragaya

Yes it is. As I said, I can access it from a web browser via IP. And play a movie, and as the movie is playing attempt to access it via the emby app and get what was mentioned above. 

Hi, what version of Emby Server are you running, and what version of the Emby android TV app?

Daragaya

Emby Server 4.4.2.0-1

Client is 1.7.92g which is what the Google Play Store offered yesterday. 

Can you try connecting from the Android TV app by entering the server address manually rather than clicking on the server? Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Daragaya

As stated in the original post. 
I have done both. I have entered the address manually, and gotten the same results. 

Daragaya

Ok, for a test, I removed my server from the client and manually entered it. It said there was an error contacting server. 
But again, if I use a web browser I can reach it using the same IP/port and play media just fine from it. 

Daragaya

It is internal so it is http. 
I put the IP in as 10.0.0.15 Port 8096
It couldn't reach the server.
I put the IP in as http://10.0.0.15 Port 8096 
It couldn't reach the server. 

The Emby server says https is for external access to the server. This is all lan/internal. My NAS is connected to a switch, which is connect to another switch where the NVidia SheidTv is connected to. There is nothing else in between them. 

If I plug my laptop into the same switch as the ShieldTv I can access the Emby Server via the IP. So there is nothing on either switch preventing that port from passing through. 

Hi.  Can you please try and login and then send a log from the app?

There should actually be a button on the login screen to send the log.

Thanks.

Daragaya

If I log out of connect it takes me to the sign in screen. Which offers a pin or skip and enter IP address or cancel. There is no log or setting button.

If I sign in with pin on my phone then on shiedtv app I click next it takes me to a screen that says select server or other options which is enter manually or logout of connect. Again no menu or log button.

You should definitely not need connect on your local network.  It really sounds like the Shield cannot see your server via the network at all.  How have you confirmed it has proper visibility through the two switches?  I know you said you plugged in a laptop but that is a different device.  

Daragaya

No glory. I have no idea why I can’t see it. It tells me the name of the NAS so it sees it to get that. But won’t connect.

Ok it looks like the device just can't reach the server machine. If you can figure that out then this should resolve your issue.

• Solution
Daragaya

Found the issue. It is Google Wifi. 
I replaced it with my old NetGear Nighthawk router and everything came up as expected. 
Google Wifi Support was zero help. 
They wanted to forward ports from external to internal and I said repeatedly this is all internal routing. 
So I gave up on them, put my old router in place and everything is working correctly. 

• Like 1