Desktop version page

luigi92

luigi92

Hi @@Luke , can you return the desktop view as before? Since the last update on the desktop you can see it as if it were a mobile or an app ...

Before when you were using the "Search" button in your browser...
Typed the user name.. And the browser showed you the user

Now if the user is below in the page.. The browser cannot find it
If you go down with the page... the browser detects it

Before it went down automatically and highlighted your search... now no more
Edited by luigi92

Hi, sorry I don't quite understand. Can you show a screenshot to demonstrate? Thanks.

luigi92

Hi, sorry I don't quite understand. Can you show a screenshot to demonstrate? Thanks.

I don’t have an old screen of settings

Initially I used the Chrome browser's "Search" button

The browser highlighted the text searched

Now if I use the Search button the browser cannot find the text.(user)
In particular in the section "Users"

Find only what I see too... If the text is under the page and then I should "scroll" Chrome doesn’t find it

Can you enter the option to use the page " Settings" either with the new one... or with the old version?
Edited by luigi92

Now if I use the Search button the browser cannot find the text.(user)

What do you mean by cannot find the text?

pwhodges

Presumably before you are required to scroll, you have not read the later data - and the browser search only uses what's been downloaded so far.

Paul

• Like 1

Ok yes, it's caused by the new virtual scrolling. The answer is no, we can't reverse that it is a must-have feature nowadays.

To solve this, we're going to have to override the browser search function and replace it with our own.

Beautiful example of a picture being worth 1000 words cuz I was completely lost as well :).

Well done on the illustration @@luigi92!

• Like 2

daedalus

To solve this, we're going to have to override the browser search function and replace it with our own.

so every website using virtual scrolling has to override the integrated search in the browser?

so every website using virtual scrolling has to override the integrated search in the browser?

If they want the search to be able to search all content and not just what's rendered on-screen, then yes. But even back when we had paging, we had this limitation as well. You had to page through 100 at a time, and the browser search function would only be able to search through the current 100.

interesting, never faced a page i couldn't search to the end

User interfaces can't handle rendering massive lists all at once, so that's why you need virtual scrolling. Most web pages don't need this, so that's why you're saying that.

The browsers don't have built-in virtual scrolling api's which means web app developers have to build their own themselves, and this requires replacing many built-in functions with custom versions in order to get everything to work. Chrome has expressed interest in having a built-in api, but it's not available yet.

pwhodges

interesting, never faced a page i couldn't search to the end

I have observed this on other web sites; but it's never bothered me, 'cos if it matters there's usually a search field available that works server-side.  I've never seen them overlay the browser's search for this, though.

Paul

An example of overriding it would be any forum based on discourse where the topic is over a certain length. It's too much to render all at once so it is virtualized just like our scrolling. When you press control-f to do your browser search they intercept it and present a custom version that will work with their rendering.

pwhodges

I see; I'd missed that because I don't frequent any forums that use Discourse, partly because I find them so unpleasant to use...

Paul

luigi92

Ok yes, it's caused by the new virtual scrolling. The answer is no, we can't reverse that it is a must-have feature nowadays.

With Internet Explorer 11 there is no such problem

The browser scrolls down the page to the user to search

Ui7uusm.png

If there’s this "Bar" There's no such problem
On google chrome there is not this "Bar" and you have this problem

Can you create a search button for users?
Edited by luigi92

Ie11 doesn't support the virtual scroll so we're just rendering everything all at once. So yes it will work there, but if you have a big enough list you may lock up the browser.

luigi92

Ie11 doesn't support the virtual scroll so we're just rendering everything all at once. So yes it will work there, but if you have a big enough list you may lock up the browser.

Can you create a user search manager?