snyology or Unraid or Win10 machine?

renewgeorgia

renewgeorgia

I am about to build a new server, doing research.  I love  the idea of a small NAS system that is fairly portable but I do not want to be disappointed with performance.

Currently I have a win 10 machine with a fast processor but no raid. I might add raid to it, and make it sort of a server but... its bulky, hard to take with me when I travel.  ( I move every  few months)

I noticed the synology NAS, and thought that might be a great solution. 

I also noticed some custom built Unraids that are more expensive but also more powerful.

I use Nvidia Shields.

I want to get iptv/M3u working. 

Having never used Unraid and never used Synology, Can someone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of the three?  What cant  you do with one? which is better/ noticeably faster? 

Thanks in advance!

maegibbons

Hi

I take the following approach:

For storage i have an 8 bay Qnap with 6 x 8TB drives in Raid 6

For the heavy lifting I have an i7-8500H based gaming laptop with Gtx1060 built in. Lid closed behind the telly. Use RDP from another lappy to administer.

Works as a very effective combo with a range of Shield, mi and Fire TV clients.

NAS are just not built for transcoding and i can always upgrade the laptop!

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Edited by maegibbons
  • Like 1

FrostByte

What maegibbons said, if you're worried about performance then installing Emby server on a NAS may not be the right thing for you.  I can transcode one 4K stream to 1080p on mine and everything is fine.  Try transcoding 4K to 4K, or transcoing many streams at once and then things start to go bad.

I don't transcode anything though, and am very happy with my purchase.  My only regret is not getting one that is expandable.  

renewgeorgia

Thank you for the replies.

Dumb question I am sure... but if I am using it mainly in my home, server and two shields over wifi, is it transcoding? or just sending the full file so no need to transcode? 

If I do build a new compact server... is unraid the way to go?  is a custom built synology better? or... what do you recommend for a new server build?

mastrmind11

Thank you for the replies.

Dumb question I am sure... but if I am using it mainly in my home, server and two shields over wifi, is it transcoding? or just sending the full file so no need to transcode? 

If I do build a new compact server... is unraid the way to go?  is a custom built synology better? or... what do you recommend for a new server build?

You'd have to check the dashboard when stuff is playing, but considering your clients I'd imagine direct playing is what's happening.

irt building out a server, if you have no transcode needs, you can literally run emby on a raspberry pi and just point it to something with a bunch of drives in it.  if you have transcode needs then none of the pre-built NAS stuff out there is going to do it for you unless you pony up a fair bit of cash.  best bet is to just build your own... way cheaper, and you can get what you want.