Multi Part Videos

garblojones

garblojones

Does anyone know if this has been fixed? I have hundreds of speeches that are labeled as follows: 

John S - VID 001

John S - VID 002A

John S - VID 002B

backstory: I'm preparing a large library of speeches that have been subtitled individually (not hard-coded) for the hearing impaired and there are already hundreds of files that are labeled in this particular naming convention. The videos are typically 30 min long but if they go longer, they're split into 2 parts (or 3 if longer than an hour)

It's showing all the files labeled with the A but it's not showing the B files at all in the info section, nor does it continue to play through to part B (in chrome or in android app that I've tested). I've already tried renaming the A's to "Part 1" and B's to "Part 2" and so on, but that doesn't seem to be working as well - i have a feeling that it has to do with there already being a number before the letter. 

Any suggestions on a solution? (that wouldn't mean renumbering every file individually) 

@@Happy2Play please separate my posting out into a new topic and merge it together with my other posting. Thanks !

garblojones
Sorry for also posting in this thread but I have hundreds of speeches that have already been shared on a library that many people in an assisted living home can access, I've temporarily suspended the server due to this issue (I don't think this has happened to me before - the files used to just go right into the B part but now I think something has changed. The files are labeled as follows: 

John S - VID 001

John S - VID 002A

John S - VID 002B

The folder structure is like this: 

Speech Year / Speech Giver 1 / SpeechGiver 1 - VID 001.mp4

Speech Year / Speech Giver 2 / SpeechGiver 2 - VID 001A.mp4

Speech Year / Speech Giver 2 / SpeechGiver 2 - VID 001B.mp4

backstory: I'm preparing a large library of speeches that have been subtitled individually (not hard-coded) for the hearing impaired and there are already hundreds of files that are labeled in this particular naming convention. The videos are typically 30 min long but if they go longer, they're split into 2 parts (or 3 if longer than an hour)

It's showing all the files labeled with the A but it's not showing the B files at all in the info section, nor does it continue to play through to part B (in chrome or in android app that I've tested). I've already tried renaming the A's to "Part 1" and B's to "Part 2" and so on, but that doesn't seem to be working as well - i have a feeling that it has to do with there already being a number before the letter. 

Any suggestions on a solution? (that wouldn't mean renumbering every file individually) 

@@Happy2Play please separate my posting out into a new topic and merge it together with my other posting. Thanks !

@@garblojones I don't think we've tested mixing both the 1/2 numbers and A/B letters in the same video.

Speech Year / Speech Giver 1 / SpeechGiver 1 - VID 001.mp4

Speech Year / Speech Giver 2 / SpeechGiver 2 - VID 001A.mp4
Speech Year / Speech Giver 2 / SpeechGiver 2 - VID 001B.mp4

This would have to be ABC rather than blank, A, B.

garblojones

At this point I'm pretty sure it just has to do with the combination of the three digits plus the A-B at the end - so far I've tried all of the following naming conventions - all result in in just the A part showing

John S - VID 001A

John S - VID 001 A

John S - VID 001 - A

John S - VID 001 - Part A

John S - VID 001 - Pt A

John S - VID 001 - DVD A

At this point I don't think there is any option aside

a) either completely renumbering every file or

B) moving the number to a different section of the file so it's separated from the part (which i'm not even confident if that will work)

Thank goodness for bulk rename utility and RegEx - but I'm hoping there might be a simpler solution that doesn't require renumbering every file (because I have hundreds and the naming conventions aren't all EXACTLY the same) 

Thanks for your help either way!

**EDIT 

I'm starting to think it only has to do with the letters A-D ... everything I've tried, whether I move the number to any section of the filename, if it ends with A-D, it just shows / plays the first one. 

I'm about to try my last resort and take out the last letter and try to figure out a different numbering scheme that will still work with how the videos are being provided to me. 

***UPDATE 2

The only thing that definitely worked was changing the last alpha character to a .1 or .2, etc... 

i.e. 

John S - VID 001.1

John S - VID 001.2

though it's not ideal because it won't automatically start playing the second or third part, it's a temporary fix. Still wondering if there's something that you guys could do so that files with both numbers and letters will still play one after another

Thanks agin!

John S - VID 001.1

Edited by garblojones

garblojones

I ran into another issue ... now that the speeches with multi-parts are showing up separately, the speech-givers who ONLY have 1 part are showing up as one item with multiple "versions". I have the option to "split versions apart" but the just splits them apart outside of their folder for some odd reason. 

To put it into further detail, folders with many different files for example

Speeches\John S\John S - 001.1.mp4

Speeches\John S\John S - 001.2.mp4

Speeches\John S\John S - 002.mp4

Speeches\John S\John S - 003.mp4

- Will show up as one folder

But, there are some folders where speech givers have multiple speeches, but under 30 min:

Speeches\Mark H\Mark H - 001.mp4

Speeches\Mark H\Mark H - 002.mp4

Speeches\Mark H\Mark H - 003.mp4

- Will show up outside in the speeches main folder as one file and when you click into it it shows up with the button to "split versions apart"

I know that adding a .1 to these files will solve the issue but looking at it from a future standpoint, how will I be able to tell ones with multiple parts ...apart ... if they're all labeled as if they have multiple parts. 

I hate to be the squeaky wheel so apologies for being annoying, but your help / advice is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Ending with - 001 is not supported for multi-part files. You need to use one of the suffixes listed in our wiki:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102-movie-naming

For example, part 1, pt 1, disc 1, etc. What's happening now is your current naming matches the multi-version naming convention and that's why they're getting grouped as versions.

garblojones

Thanks, I'll try going back to the pt1-pt2 format but then i fear i will end up with the original problem of it only showing the first part of the two or three and not continuing on after the first one is done playing. 

*EDIT

It also doesn't really explain why some folders are still showing up as folders and others are not when they all have the same naming convention. 

Edited by garblojones

*EDIT

It also doesn't really explain why some folders are still showing up as folders and others are not when they all have the same naming convention. 

It might actually, but let's re-evaluate after you've made the changes and then we'll see if there's something that needs looking into. Thanks !

garblojones

So since my last post, I've tried the following

having everything end in a .1 (or other number) regardless of whether it's multi-part or not and I know you said that it will cause emby to think it's a mult-version file, rather than multi-part but still exactly 24 out of the 48 folders showed up as folders and the rest still showed up as one entry with multiple versions - here's the name examples for that

Speeches\John S\John S - 001.1.mp4 (files with a single part)
Speeches\John S\John S - 001.1A.mp4 

Then I also tried the following
Speeches\John S\John S 01-ptA.mp4 

as well as:
Speeches\John S\John S (0001)-ptA.mp4 

Now all the folders showed up but the files are playing only the one labeled ptA and not continuing to the next again ... sooo back to square one. Is there really no way at all to have both letters and numbers? I feel like i've tried every combination at this point. 

How do you suggest I proceed? Nothing seems to work and I really don't want to have to change the whole numbering system and/or start joining hundreds of multi-part files. 

garblojones

Another update - I finally found a way (though still not the best workaround) to have all files showing ... I had to use a japanese character at the end (good think i know japanese) and I had to get rid of the hyphen between the file and the video number so the end result looks like this: 

Speeches\John S\John S 01.mp4 
Speeches\John S\John S 02ア.mp4 
Speeches\John S\John S 02カ.mp4 

Works for me but I would hope there will eventually be a solution for people that may run into this issue with standard alpha characters.

Hopefully in an upcoming version, you will allow videos that are labeled with numbers and letters at the end to stack 

Speeches\John S\John S 01.mp4 

Speeches\John S\John S 02ア.mp4 
Speeches\John S\John S 02カ.mp4 

I believe like this they're just three separate items and not a stack right?