Cross-platform support by implementing something like jellyfin-mpv-shim

ezzah

Since there has been no development for other clients (such as macOS), which causes issues with playback as it requires reliance on the web app, I was wondering if it would be easier to adapt an existing project to allow direct play.

I am referring to this project: https://github.com/iwalton3/jellyfin-mpv-shim

It uses mpv and python3 to 'shim' or effectively create a device instance to allow a web app or other castable app client to direct the direct url of the playback to mpv. I think many would find this useful for very lightweight cross-platform support and eliminate the need for complex GUIs or the like by relying on the web app or other device to cast to the mpv shim.

Any thoughts?

There's already one here in the community for mpc-hc although I imagine it would only work on windows.

Yeah I think the main attraction for a solution like this is that it would be easy to port across platforms and also possibly requires less of a development effort. I dislike using Kodi so on macOS I am stuck with the web app. It's generally fine but due to ASS subtitles not being supported by browsers burn-in becomes a massive pain even on a sufficient server.