FR: Server/Client Handling multiple Cut's of movies

DaSilva

DaSilva

Hello,

I'm in the process of ripping my entire Blu-Ray collection to mkv's and I've come across a problem with movies with different cuts.

I've noticed there is no clear way of handling these.

These are the options I see:

1. Rip the cut of choice and let MB server process it and then rip the alternate version and add it as an extra ... this is possible now.

2. Rip the 2 (or more) versions into seperate mkv's and add an option in MB server to specify which mkv what version is.

Then ideally only display one entry of the movie in the client but when you select play give a selection of the version to play ... upside is I think this is fairly easy to accomplish (but I'm no programmer so I might be completely wrong). Downside it takes more space due to the complete rips of the different versions.

3. Rip the different versions into 1 seamless mkv and also give a selection after hitting play ... Upside is only 1 file so less space. Downside, I think the detection of the versions is alot harder to accomplish and creation of seamless mkv's is a little bit les straightforward.

My choice would be option 2 because it's easier for everyone and storage space isn't that expensive anymore these days ...

I think this feature would lure quite a few XBMC users to the MB side.

If you check their forums there is still an active discussion about it that started in 2010!!

And if XBMC doesn't have it, then PLEX surely doesn't have it ;)

I'm sorry if there are some spelling faults but I'm not native English.

Thanks in advance!!!

Edited by DaSilva

Koleckai Silvestri

The issue in the first post isn't handled by the link provided. The link handles different aspect ratios, bitrates  and containers. A cut would be "Theatrical Release", Extended Release, "Director's Cut", "Final Cut". These are different length media usually with scenes added, augmented and enhanced.

I have the same issue with several of my movies Lord of the Rings and Blade Runner are two examples. I have two cuts of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, theatrical and extended. I have 3 cuts of Blade Runner, theatrical, director's cut and final cut. The only solution that I have found is to have duplicates and a folder for each cut. Then you can add the cuts to a Collection. Finally if you want only one icon/poster in your list is to Collections to be collapsed in the view.

Edited by Wayne Luke

ejcortes

The issue in the first post isn't handled by the link provided. The link handles different aspect ratios, bitrates  and containers. A cut would be "Theatrical Release", Extended Release, "Director's Cut", "Final Cut". These are different length media usually with scenes added, augmented and enhanced.

I have the same issue with several of my movies Lord of the Rings and Blade Runner are two examples. I have two cuts of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, theatrical and extended. I have 3 cuts of Blade Runner, theatrical, director's cut and final cut. The only solution that I have found is to have duplicates and a folder for each cut. Then you can add the cuts to a Collection. Finally if you want only one icon/poster in your list is to Collections to be collapsed in the view.

I have the same issues with Watchmen, LOTR, Star Wars, and so on... Well, they are not really issues, it's just the way MB3 works.

So, what's the solution for this, do the "Collection" manually, instead of relying on the plug-in, and edit the movie meta data to add [Director's Cut] or [super Duper Criterion Release] or something along that line? 

What I saw was that you get duplicates, and the Box-Set plugin doesn't count them.

Edited by ejcortes

Koleckai Silvestri

I don't use the box-set plugin at all. I use the Collections system built into the Server and just handle it that way.