Emby/MacOS for dummies?

johnfredbarry

johnfredbarry

Hi,

I am a technology neophyte. I want to use the Emby app on Roku to play videos I launch in my safari browser using twitch or YouTube.

I have installed Emby on my MacBook, i have added the emby app to Roku. Are there instructions anywhere on what to do next? Is there a Safari Extension? I am at a loss on what to do next.

Thanks in advance if you can point me to the instructions.

Hi there, have you setup Emby Server on your Macbook? Are you able to play videos locally on the macbook using the Emby web interface?

johnfredbarry

I don’t have my Mac right now, I am on my iPad. I have loaded the server onto my Mac , but I do not see a browser on it.

Hi, what you can do is after starting Emby Server, click the green Emby icon in the MacOS system tray and it will launch the web app in your default browser.

Normally this happens automatically when starting the server, it just launches the web app in your default browser.

johnfredbarry

hi

OK, I started my Emby Server.  How do I open a public web page that has an embedded video, or link to a streaming video? 

thanks for you patience.

post-611397-0-88597900-1585159751_thumb.png

Edited by johnfredbarry

johnfredbarry

hi Luke,

I tried to post a screen shot. After i attached the pic, my options to post are “add reply” and “preview post”. Neither selection takes me to somewhere where there is a “post” button.

Anyway, I opened the emby server, it opens a new window in safari, asks me to download the server.  

I am retired. Before that, I designed and installed LANs, WANs, network storage for very large corporations, so I know I am not stupid, but honestly, my experience so far has not been good.  

The instructions seem to be written for someone who has experience with internet content protocols and management, something I really dont know much about, beyond youtube and spotify.

hi

OK, I started my Emby Server.  How do I open a public web page that has an embedded video, or link to a streaming video? 

thanks for you patience.

That pic you entered would normally be your router address not the Emby Server address.

But let me clarify something.  Is you intent (from first message) to use Emby as a middle man to play Youtube, Twitch and similar videos on your Ruku controlled from a browser?  If so that's not really what Emby is designed to do and there are easier methods to "cast" videos to players like a Roku.

johnfredbarry

I am confused now. Luke told me, based on my use case, the emby product would not be appropriate

Emby is designed to organize and stream your personal media to all of your devices. Is that what you're looking for?

If you don't have a personal library of movies and tv shows or home videos then Emby probably isn't for you. But neither is Plex (nothing against them) just being honest.

Emby supports a lot of functionality and while it could be made to work for your needs, really isn't the best choice for your needs.  We would rather be honest with you and tell you that the functionality you want isn't are core expertise.

Emby (and Plex more sort of ) is geared to allowing your to create your own "netflix", "hulu" or "amazon video" type system if you have/own the video being broadcast.

If your intention is not to host your own videos or movies/TV shows on your ow server but only to "transfer" video from one device to another than you might just want to check out feature built into Google Chrome Browser.

With most OS and/or Crome browser you can send a video you have playing on a mobile or web browser to a dedicated device. In Google Chrome this is commonly called 'casting".

Emby can do this BUT if this is your prime directive in media than Emby probably isn't the best way to accomplish this.

So a direct question is.  Do you want to stream your own media or is this not important and only Youtube type video "casting" is what you are looking for?

Damien_

No

I’m a Mac user with a decent amount of experience with plex and Emby.

What exactly are you hoping to accomplish or what we’re you looking for Emby to do? As mentioned plex and Emby are server-client software SolutionS for your own library. That said we might be able to point you in a direction that better suits your needs if we have an idea..

• 2 weeks later...