Emby + Ombi = massive slowndown

M3th0s

M3th0s

Hello

There's currently an issue with emby not playing nice with ombi.

Ombi devs are saying that there were some API changes and therefore ombi is not playing nice anymore.

The crux of the problem is that the moment it starts a sync job with emby, emby will slow to a crawl.

https://github.com/tidusjar/Ombi/issues/2230

I'm more than happy to spin up my ombi and provide logs if it'll help resolve this.

Thanks in advance!

• 2 months later...

@Luke made me aware of this yesterday, disabling my Ombi docker seems to have resolved the issue, wonder if the problem lies with Ombi or Emby?

It sends a large number of requests to your emby server over a short period of time. I would make sure it's not doing that during your primary usage hours.

On 6/25/2020 at 2:20 AM, Luke said:

It sends a large number of requests to your emby server over a short period of time. I would make sure it's not doing that during your primary usage hours.

Just to update, no slowdown at all since stopping my Ombi Docker, I re-enabled all plugins listed in my previous post yesterday.  I have messaged tidusjar on Discord a couple of days ago but no response yet.  I guess this slowdown does not affect everyone? maybe due to large libraries?

M3th0s

I think it depends on how large your library is. With smaller libraries it'll probably finish scanning quickly, therefore not impacting performance.

I tried reaching out to tidusjar but he's adamant the issue is on emby's side and their apis.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ShadowKindjal

When are you guys experiencing this issue? I have an Emby library of about 100 TB but I'm not noticing any slowdowns with Ombi connected. 

• 5 weeks later...
mastrmind11
4 hours ago, ceb0610 said:

The second I start the Ombi docker, page loads in Emby slow down and video takes longer to load. Overall responsiveness takes a dive.

so go find the ombi dev.  this has nothing to do with emby.

• Like 1

The truth is that the answer is probably a little bit of both. For the amount of data that's being pulled, some collaboration is likely needed.

mastrmind11

hammering an API indiscriminately is not the API developers problem, it's the hammerers problem.  this is coming from an API developer.  i guess emby could rate limit API requests if you want to absorb some blame as well.

Edited by mastrmind11

I think the problem is that OMBI tries to be nice to Emby by querying data subsequently - only 200 items at a time, then processing the results, then querying the next 200 items .

Unfortunately, this has just the opposite effect, as Emby doesn't have an in-memory cache for the results from which it would just need to return another 200 items on each subsequent call. Instead, each call for 200 items causes Emby to run the data query again, which is surely less expensive than a single query for all items, but just not in total.

Example:  With 20,000 library items, OMBI will need to make 100 API calls to get all items. And those 100 API calls are by far more expensive than a single API call for all items or maybe 10 API calls for 2,000 items each.

My suggestion to the OMBI developer would be to use a significantly higher value like 5,000 or 10,000 items. This will improve things a lot. The described performance degradation will still happen, but unlike now, it won't last long anymore.