Standalone Music App

fizzyade

timlance

Yep. I am considering a lifetime PlexPass because Plexamp is doing so well. More, I've fixed what issue, I mentioned in another post, with how Plex managed my library.

breakspirit

I signed up for Emby Premiere today but the lack of a dedicated music app was the primary reason I hesitated.  Plexamp is awesome and I will have to keep using it until Emby designs a competitor.  We use Plexamp constantly in Android Auto in both of our cars.  I haven't seen yet what Emby looks like there or if it even supports Android Auto.

timlance

Earlier I said I had fixed my Library management issue with Plex. Wrong! I have given up on Plex. Emby does enough for me. My cars are old so phone connects through AUX.

Sure would appreciate a standalone music iOS app. And throw in an equalizer someday. Been requested for years.

1 hour ago, breakspirit said:

or if it even supports Android Auto.

Emby does support Android Auto.

timlance

I see it supports Apple CarPlay, too. Very good. Maybe some day I'll have a car that can support it! 🤪

Thanks, Luke, for the great work.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
screwfaze
On 18/08/2021 at 20:25, breakspirit said:

I signed up for Emby Premiere today but the lack of a dedicated music app was the primary reason I hesitated.  Plexamp is awesome and I will have to keep using it until Emby designs a competitor.  We use Plexamp constantly in Android Auto in both of our cars.  I haven't seen yet what Emby looks like there or if it even supports Android Auto.

Checkout Finamp on Jellyfin still a work in progress but working really well. Wish we can get something like it on emby as the full app sucks for music!

10 hours ago, screwfaze said:

Checkout Finamp on Jellyfin still a work in progress but working really well. Wish we can get something like it on emby as the full app sucks for music!

Have you been able to get this to work with Emby?  I tried a few ways and didn't have any luck.

screwfaze
20 minutes ago, Jägs said:

Have you been able to get this to work with Emby?  I tried a few ways and didn't have any luck.

No I have not but I run a jellyfin server too and it is working really well with that. I really hope emby can get a music only app as the full app is terrible for music!

• 3 weeks later...
bogdansrb

I would also like an app similar to plexamp. Which is awesome in every respect, from features to UI. The emby app works fine, even though it's not as refined, and I actually use it instead of plexamp since plex is a mess when it comes to library organization. 

What I don't like about emby is the android TV app. It's a mess when it comes to music. 

• Agree 1

rfporter

I've been using emby on desktop for music lately (web browser and theatre app). My biggest complaint is the play queue. When you reach the end of the play queue, it just disappears. It would be nice if the music stopped but the play queue remained intact so that I could restart or save it as a playlist.

Oh. another nice feature would be to have cool visualizations like winamp had back in the day. Then I would play music on my home theatre during parties.... when we can have parties again... if we are ever allowed to have parties again :s

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bogdansrb said:

What I don't like about emby is the android TV app. It's a mess when it comes to music. 

Hi.  Can you please be specific?  Thanks.

screwfaze

Why do the emby devs not want to make a separate music app? It is clear a lot of us want this and would make emby the only media server you would ever need.

fizzyade
1 minute ago, screwfaze said:

Why do the emby devs not want to make a separate music app? It is clear a lot of us want this and would make emby the only media server you would ever need.

I can't answer on behalf of the Emby devs and what I'm saying is not a reflection on them or their views.

But in a more general sense it's not uncommon common for developers to believe that their way is the right way and that they know better than the users.  It's something that we've seen time and time again from companies like Apple, resisting user requests for a long time before eventually relenting with "Hey, this great new way of...".

What a developer thinks is obvious or easy to use isn't necessarily what actually works in the real world, especially with users who are not particularly technologically inclined, and that's the reason I originally started this thread.  

Nothing has changed from this end in the period of time since I created the request, the full application is just not a workable solution for me (as in, me managing my wife.& children), in fact, even as a developer myself there's 0% chance of me ever using the Emby app to play music on my phone, I go straight to plexamp because it's a music app, the last time I used it was today while I was waiting having scans done in hospital.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, screwfaze said:

Actually if that's where user feedback takes us, then that's where we will go. We're just trying to organize the discussion of standalone app vs. general music feature requests or enhancements. That will help us better understand what you actually want. For example, if you say, "I don't like how feature X works in Emby music". But what if we built a separate music and we brought the same problem or limitation into the new app? That would not actually be solving what it is that you're looking for. 

That's why if you're looking for a standalone app to reduce clicks to get to music, eliminate other menus, etc, then you've come to the right discussion. But if what you're looking for is say "I want an equalizer", or feature X, or I want an existing feature to work better, then please open a separate topic for that because that's something that would apply to any Emby music, whether standalone or not.

18 minutes ago, screwfaze said:

Why do the emby devs not want to make a separate music app?

Hi.  It is not that we don't "want" to do this.  Developing something like this is a much more complex question than that.  For one, it would mean NOT developing some not insignificant number of other features while resources are dedicated to this.  And that is just one facet of the issue.  So, it all comes down to priorities and resources.  It hasn't gotten to the point yet where spending the significant effort (not just initially, but ongoing) to develop something like this has become one of the most important things we have to accomplish right now.

feerlessleadr

I'll keep beating this drum, but for those with android devices, I HIGHLY recommend using YATSE as a dedicated emby music app. It's excellent and checks all of the boxes of pretty much every music app I've ever used on android, with the fantastic addition of being able to stream directly from my emby server. 

Can't recommend it enough.

• Like 1

fizzyade

I think plexamp is probably the biggest hit they've had in terms of all the crap they've added, which is a lot that attribute for being funded by vulture capitalists, there's a whole trail of half baked, half arsed, bug ridden features that have been poorly implemented and subsequently abandandoned as the next big feature to appease the funders is added.

I've mentioned a few times in this thread that I was pissed at the time they added plexamp because there were so many long standing bugs that they ignored, but, I was wrong, this really is the best thing they did in a long time.  It just so happened to be around this time that I switched to emby, at the same time they had the "roku-gate" saga and I actually managed to get Elan to get in dialogue with me about a long standing Sonos issue, over the space of a few weeks of dialogue with him the issue was eventually solved.

I tried emby at the same time I finally discovered it was as good or better than plex was for me, funnily enough the same issue that I had with Sonos on Plex also was a problem in Emby (it's DTS related), you guys fixed it within 12-24 hours which blew my mind because at that point, I wasn't a paying customer, I bought a lifetime license shortly after this.

I'm still incredibly happy with Emby, it works, it works well, it works for us as a family really well....apart from in one area, so until Emby decides that there's enough of us who want it or they see that it's actually a big enough selling point we'll carry on using plexamp for music.

The DTS thing is actually a LONG standing issue with Sonos, something that they've stuck their head in the sand for a long time with, they've actually announced that they will be adding support shortly, I am left wondering if a patent has expired or something to prompt this.

• Like 1

screwfaze

Thanks for all the replies, I really believe a standalone music app will be the best solution for all of us and will continue using other apps till the devs can spend time on it. I do not watch anything on my phone so do not have as much use for the full app and just been looking for the perfect self hosted music solution.

• 2 months later...
On 10/2/2021 at 5:52 PM, screwfaze said:

Thanks for all the replies, I really believe a standalone music app will be the best solution for all of us and will continue using other apps till the devs can spend time on it. I do not watch anything on my phone so do not have as much use for the full app and just been looking for the perfect self hosted music solution.

And this seems like a good opportunity to plug the Subsonic API one more time.  The devs wouldn't even need to worry about creating a separate app—and, thus, dividing development and support time—because with the API, you could use the dozens of Subsonic apps that already exist.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

screwfaze
3 hours ago, Jägs said:

And this seems like a good opportunity to plug the Subsonic API one more time.  The devs wouldn't even need to worry about creating a separate app—and, thus, dividing development and support time—because with the API, you could use the dozens of Subsonic apps that already exist.

That actually makes a lot of sense!!! Please add this option to emby.

• Like 1

timlance
21 hours ago, Jägs said:

I'm begging you folks! This would be great.

On 12/5/2021 at 12:26 AM, Jägs said:

I'm not sure what you are asking here.  That API is into their media server...