fizzyade

Standalone Music App

Luke

It's something to consider for the future. Thanks for the feedback.

wedgekc

There is an app for Jellyfin on Android called Gelli that seems to work with Emby.  I briefly tried it but really doesn't add any functionality and don't know how long it will be compatible with Emby.  If your interested you can download the apk from https://github.com/dkanada/gelli

I like to use Yatse.  It is not a separate music player but it has the shortcuts to music mentioned above and they are configurable (at least on Android).  It also does smart playlists which I like but it is not free.

DJIemby
9 hours ago, wedgekc said:

There is an app for Jellyfin on Android called Gelli that seems to work with Emby.  I briefly tried it but really doesn't add any functionality and don't know how long it will be compatible with Emby.  If your interested you can download the apk from https://github.com/dkanada/gelli

I like to use Yatse.  It is not a separate music player but it has the shortcuts to music mentioned above and they are configurable (at least on Android).  It also does smart playlists which I like but it is not free.

I tried 'Jellyamp' which talks to my Emby music library on my Mac and was ok but not great and needs alot of work. I would like an app to work on Android as well as IOS to support all my portable devices. Hopefully the Emby team can develop a dedicated music app to fill this missing key in the Emby community especially now the main cloud based music streamers are making it harder and harder to play music we own on our servers.

Luke

What if our app could put home screen shortcuts on your device to jump right into your music library in our app?

DJIemby
1 minute ago, Luke said:

What if our app could put home screen shortcuts on your device to jump right into your music library in our app?

That might work, but will need to test the shortcut route to see if it's a convenient option rather than a dedicated music app. If the shortcut can just go to the music folder and nothing else then i will be willing to test.

fizzyade
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

No, unless that shortcut showed Emby in a music only mode.

the issue isn’t the launching of the app, the issue is making it behave only like a music app. If you can still get to movies or elsewhere then it’s no good for my usage, I’m dealing with a wife who if it isn’t dead easy to use (I.e works like a music only player like Apple Music, PlexAmp, Spotify, etc) then she won’t use it, I get phone calls “I’m stuck in this part, how do I get back to music”

I’ll admit that I wasn’t happy when they spent their effort on plexamp, but as a mobile app it 100% makes sense. Music, just music makes it so easy for people less technical to use it, everybody knows how to use their music app on their phone fully.

Luke

the issue is making it behave only like a music app

Can you be more specific?

fizzyade
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Can you be more specific?

Simple.  Only music related options and nothing else, it doesn't matter how hidden the video player is or otherwise, it needs to not be there.

Take a look at Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, PlexAmp, they're optimised for a workflow dedicated to play music, they all have give or take the same look, feel and workflow.

This is why my wife will use Plexamp and won't use Emby for playing music.

DJIemby
3 hours ago, fizzyade said:

Simple.  Only music related options and nothing else, it doesn't matter how hidden the video player is or otherwise, it needs to not be there.

Take a look at Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, PlexAmp, they're optimised for a workflow dedicated to play music, they all have give or take the same look, feel and workflow.

This is why my wife will use Plexamp and won't use Emby for playing music.

I totally agree with what fizzyade has said. I have been looking for something that will play my own music in a clean and simple manner outside of Emby as a native music player for an Emby music library isn't currently available.

I have tried a few free services like Airsonic but having another server to manage wasn't great and kept crashing. I love Google Play Music as it works and does everything i want it too but it is closing its doors by the end of the year and YouTube music wants a premium for the same features that GPM offers for free now. I think there would be a big interest in a standalone Emby Music app. Emby has gathered a lot of attention and user respect over the years and to continue getting more Plex users to convert i feel it has to offer what people want if competition is offering it. Even Jellyfin has a Music App, even if it is in its infancy. Hopefully, developers can add this to the top of their 'to do list'.