Xbox 1 - Suddenly, content no longer plays, just a spinning wheel

JBL

Chiefmas

I just started trying Emby a few weeks ago.  Like others have said my Xbox One app was working fine the first week or so.  Then last week it started doing the "spinning wheel" anytime I used Emby for the "second time" and attempted to play something.  Basically after a full reboot of the Xbox Emby works fine, could play multiple items one after the other.  But as soon as I either minimized and used another app and then came back to Emby, or the Xbox went into standby mode, it would no longer play anything, just a spinning wheel.  Even force closing Emby and restarting just the App would not help at that point.

Huh...that's interesting. You can reproduce this 100%? i.e. start emby, play something. Drop to the home screen (or not) and then have your xbox turn off (the fast boot enabled shut down, not the full power down). And then power it right back up and it'll be broken?

FrostByte

From my experience this is neither an app or Xbox issue but related to my version of server. 

With .22 beta server and .294 app I had no issues.  Then just yesterday Synology finally had a new beta  and as soon as I updated to .30 beta then now I'm having the spinner issue described here with Instant On set

Xbox OS is 10.0.18363.9135 from last month

Edited by FrostByte

From my experience this is neither an app or Xbox issue but related to my version of server. 

With .22 beta server and .294 app I had no issues.  Then just yesterday Synology finally had a new beta  and as soon as I updated to .30 beta then now I'm having the spinner issue described here with Instant On set

Xbox OS is 10.0.18363.9135 from last month

I also don't think it's app related, however there are previous reports in this thread with the 4.3.1 server so I don't think we can isolate it to that. I think you just hadn't seen it happen yet.

• Like 2

MBSki

I hadn't seen this issue until my server updated to 4.4. Before that, everything was fine. The app really didn't change much, so not sure how the app would be the issue.

WilhelmStroker

I hadn't seen this issue until my server updated to 4.4. Before that, everything was fine. The app really didn't change much, so not sure how the app would be the issue.

Yup this started happening for me as well after updating to 4.4. Not had issues before that. I can browse all media but as soon as I hit play I get the spinning circle. A full reboot fixes it, but as soon as the xbox goes into power save mode, it's broken. Emby is the only app on the xbox having this issue, Plex still works fine and so do other streaming apps.

• Like 2

Andori

Mine started doing this the other day.  Using .294 app on an original Xbox One set to Instant on, server is currently 4.4.0.40 on a QNAP TS-453A.  But it was doing it on a 4.3 server.  Xbox OS is 10.0.19041.1781

As mentioned by others, a full reboot fixes it.  

Another thing that seems to be a temporary fix is to swap to a different profile on the Xbox that hadn't used Emby since the reboot.

FordGT90Concept

So this issue popped up yesterday:

1) can't watch Live TV

2) can't watch recordings

When user tries to, the loading circle goes around endlessly. Only the Xbox One S is effected. SHIELDs are fine.

Restarting the Xbox doesn't fix it but, yesterday, uninstalling and installing the Emby app fixed it.

Today, the issue has returned. I suspect somehow bad data is getting on the Xbox One S that's prohibiting it from playing videos. I'm not a fan of the idea of having to reinstall Emby every day.

@@FordGT90Concept

Server is running .30

Edit: Just reinstalled the app again now and it's working...but for how long?

Edited by FordGT90Concept

FrostByte

So this issue popped up yesterday:

1) can't watch Live TV

2) can't watch recordings

When user tries to, the loading circle goes around endlessly. Only the Xbox One S is effected. SHIELDs are fine.

Restarting the Xbox doesn't fix it but, yesterday, uninstalling and installing the Emby app fixed it.

Today, the issue has returned. I suspect somehow bad data is getting on the Xbox One S that's prohibiting it from playing videos. I'm not a fan of the idea of having to reinstall Emby every day.

@@FordGT90Concept

Server is running .30

Edit: Just reinstalled the app again now and it's working...but for how long?

You could try turning off Instant On, that seems to help most people.  Then just start with a hard boot every day

Edited by FrostByte

WilhelmStroker

You could try turning off Instant On, that seems to help most people.  Then just start with a hard boot every day

I'm on the xbox insider builds so am getting new builds on a regular basis. Instant on at least installs the builds when I'm not using my Xbox. Otherwise it takes at least 30 minutes. Besides, all other streaming apps work fine apart from Emby.

khodges747

Is everyone here on insider?

Not me. Didn't even know there was such a thing for the XBox.

BTW, this happened to me BEFORE I updated to server 4.4.

Edited by khodges747

FrostByte

I haven't been on the insider builds for a year now.  I'm on the latest stable release 10.0.18363.9135 from 24 Feb

Edit: that release did have a lot of changes to the Home, etc but I hadn't noticed the problem until I updated server recently so not sure what's going on

https://beta.support.xbox.com/help/hardware-network/settings-updates/whats-new-xbox-one-system-updates

Edited by FrostByte

WilhelmStroker

I haven't been on the insider builds for a year now.  I'm on the latest stable release 10.0.18363.9135 from 24 Feb

Edit: that release did have a lot of changes to the Home, etc but I hadn't noticed the problem until I updated server recently so not sure what's going on

https://beta.support.xbox.com/help/hardware-network/settings-updates/whats-new-xbox-one-system-updates

Yeah I only started noticing this after the 4.4 server update.

I am not on the Insider program either. I think it happened around the same day as the OP - since I checked the forum and saw this thread. I am pretty sure it was happening before the last stable update of the server.

If this helps, on my system it only impacts video. I can play music and run a slideshow without rebooting my XB1X. I don't have live TV set up to test, but this impacts my Movie and TV libraries.

Additionally, I was trying to replicate on my office XB1 (an original from the first batch) and could not replicate until I logged out and logged back in. It was a fresh install of the app from the store and I could close Emby and open other apps (in my case, YouTube) without seeing the issue when I restarted Emby. I went into the living room to see if you fixed it this morning, but it was still breaking on my XB1X out there.

You probably see this in other logs, but in my case the client isn't making the GET request to stream.mkv after getting the 200 from the PlaybackInfo response. Actually, it isn't getting the backdrop either so it appears it is either not getting the 200, or mistaking it for another response. I have static IPs (for home automation) so I doubt the client would send it elsewhere after successfully asking for it in the first place. I can't see the session ids anywhere that I know of, so no guess if they got misaligned or lost on the server.

kyote4827

I have seen this for a while, off and on. There are times when I am able to use the Xbox Emby app with no problem, then there's today where I am able to navigate thru the app, but when I try to watch live tv/recorded tv/recorded movies, it just spins and spins. I have tried restarting the xbox, no help. I have confirmed that it works on different devices at the same time (Roku/firestick/Samsung S9). 

Can you see anything in the logs that would hint at the problem? I have attached my embyserver.txt file.

In addition, my speedtest on my server PC says that my stats are:

Ping: 11ms

Download: 341.02 Mbps

Upload: 29.93 Mbps

Would I benefit from changing to a higher upload speed, or should this be sufficient to upload multiple streams at once?

Thanks,

Kyle

@@kyote4827

FordGT90Concept

Is everyone here on insider?

I'm not sure. If I would have had to do something like enroll, then no. AFAIK I only enrolled on Play Store and Server.

Edit: Had to reinstall Emby 3 days in a row now.

vaise

Please move if in wrong place - I cant see an ebox media client area.

A remote user that uses xbox reports it updated this morning, then in emby he can browse around but cant play anything.  I dont have any additional info but I have asked him for some (like version of xbox update etc etc).  I imagine if this is a mainstream issue, there will be lots of posts.

@@vaise

FordGT90Concept

Had to reinstall Emby again today so that's four days in a row.

Something about the Xbox going to sleep, I think, is causing Emby to corrupt itself.

I think if Emby only saved the data locally of what server to connect to, it wouldn't be breaking itself. It's saving something else which prohibits streaming thereafter.

SaintsOracle777

My xbox 1 X is requiring a restart every time I try to watch something. Multiple times per day. It used to work flawlessly then for the last 2 weeks it's been daily restarts. I Have uninstalled and reinstalled more than once. And nothing works please Emby fix this.

Edited by SaintsOracle777

SaintsOracle777

Additionally I have spoke to several friends after referring Emby to them for their Xbox 1 systems and all are saying the same. Actually stating they are going to give up hope cause no one will help.

khodges747

Is anyone here still on the 4.3 server?

I'm not on 4.3 any longer. Timeline is as follows:

• OP posted on 19 March
  • I personally saw the problem on 20 March and posted to confirm OP's complaint
  • I updated to 4.4 on 22 March

khodges747

Had to reinstall Emby again today so that's four days in a row.

Something about the Xbox going to sleep, I think, is causing Emby to corrupt itself.

I think if Emby only saved the data locally of what server to connect to, it wouldn't be breaking itself. It's saving something else which prohibits streaming thereafter.

Have you tried turning off Fast Start (or whatever it's called on XBX1)? For most people, that seems to solve the problem, even if it's not a permanent solution.