Swap Media Center Personalities

feardamhan

feardamhan

Ok, so let me preface this by saying this may be an unusual use case.

I have two media centers in my home, both running MB3 server and MB3 classic. I use one of the them to do all my metadata scraping which saves the information with the media with is stored on an external NAS unit, and the other unit just connects to the same storage and leverages the same metadata.

Now, due to the technical capabilities of the two machines, I want to reverse their personalities. Given that all the content is external, this should be quick enough. But rather than have to configure all the properties of the MB3 server on both boxes, I'd like to just to a personality swap. I'm thinking the following process may work, but would appreciate any insight you have.

1. Ensure that both MCs have the appropriate windows and MB3 user names.

2. Backup the c:\programdata\mediabrowser

3. Backup the c:\programdata\mediabrowser-classic

4. Backup the c:\users\username\mediabrowser-classic

5. Backup the c:\users\username\mediabrowser-server

6. Stop MB3 server on both machines and swap the contents of the above folders.

Any insight from the gurus?

Thanks in advance

feardamhan

Since both media centers are configured to sleep when not active, it's good to have each reliant on its own particular server. That way, the server is always available and doesn't need to be woken.

Transferring the config file appears to move all the server settings as desired. Strange that it doesn't include the library folders. But that's a pretty small configuration item to redo. Where are the library paths stored as matter of interest?

In the root folder.

That setup is going to keep you from being able to utilize the advantages of a server.  You'll lose user-based resume points etc.

I encourage you to consider having just one server.  Put it on the machine you use the most.  The other machine will try to wake it for you if it is asleep.

• 2 months later...
feardamhan

Thanks CBR. I take on board your advice, but neither of my servers support wake-on-lan. I have two WD My Cloud drives which I would love to have the server running on, but no can do until we can do that with a NAS device!