total noob to mb3

paulsk2

paulsk2

hi all  .ive just downloaded mb3 server on this windows7 pc and im tryin to get my other pc (also win7) on xbmc to connect but im having problems with it is there a quick and easy guide as to what i have to do ? ive added the remote access link that is on the dashboard . ive set it up with a user name and password that ive also put into the xbmc add on but it says cannot connect to server . any help with this would be great , thanks

Edited by paulsk2

xnappo

Please post the log when it fails to connect.

You can find the log in:

%appdata%\XBMC

xnappo

paulsk2

sorry for the delay , ive been tinkering lol . ive now put the server on my xbmc machine and got movies ,tv shows and concerts loaded into mb3 and xbmc  . now i want to know how to share these folders with friends that aren`t on my network .

also , i have a tv tuner that is configured in windows media centre and in xbmc through serverwmc . i have installed the serverwmc plugin in mb3 server and it is showing up in the "live tv" on the dashboard as ok and up to date but on my other pc that i have media browser theatre installed on it i cant stream live tv . it starts up windows media player but cant play anything cos there is no tv tuner on the other pc . is that normal ?

Angelblue05

You will have to create a UNC Folder Share for each "node" (example: movies folder, TV folder). You can follow this simple tutorial.

You will have to re-add your Library Media location using your newly created UNC Folder Share (Network>PC Name>UNC Folders). This part is also explained in the tutorial.

Hopefully it helps!

Vidman

You will have to create a UNC Folder Share for each "node" (example: movies folder, TV folder). You can follow this simple tutorial.

You will have to re-add your Library Media location using your newly created UNC Folder Share (Network>PC Name>UNC Folders). This part is also explained in the tutorial.

Hopefully it helps!

That is the recommended way to set up your media folders but I don't believe that has anything to do with the OPs issues

Angelblue05

I believe it is necessary to set it up that way to be able to share outside the network, but I could be wrong. :)

Also from the FAQ 

Q: How can I enable remote access to Media Browser 3 outside of my LAN ?
A: You need to port forward the two MB3 server ports (default 8096 & 8945) on your router to the PC running MB3 server. You may also need to open the ports in your firewall. Once that is done, you should be able to access the MB3 Server via the URL:http://WAN_IP_ADDRESS:PORT/mediabrowser

...replacing WAN_IP_ADDRESS with your router's external IP address (as assigned by your ISP). Optionally, you may wish to sign-up to a free DDNS service if you do not have a static ip through your ISP, or if you wish to have a easier-to-remember address.

Edited by Angelblue05

Vidman

I believe it is necessary to set it up that way to be able to share outside the network, but I could be wrong. :)

Also from the FAQ

Q: How can I enable remote access to Media Browser 3 outside of my LAN ?

A: You need to port forward the two MB3 server ports (default 8096 & 8945) on your router to the PC running MB3 server. You may also need to open the ports in your firewall. Once that is done, you should be able to access the MB3 Server via the URL:http://WAN_IP_ADDRESS:PORT/mediabrowser

...replacing WAN_IP_ADDRESS with your router's external IP address (as assigned by your ISP). Optionally, you may wish to sign-up to a free DDNS service if you do not have a static ip through your ISP, or if you wish to have a easier-to-remember address.

Most remote access will be transcoded ....UNC allows clients direct access to the original file so no transcoding is required for clients that can play that file type .... So no UNC is not required for remote access

paulsk2

thanks guys . i`ll look into this over the next few days while im off work . if i can get it all working through xbmc i`ll be a very happy lad :D

xnappo

thanks guys . i`ll look into this over the next few days while im off work . if i can get it all working through xbmc i`ll be a very happy lad :D

On the remote systems you will need to check the 'Play from stream instead of SMB' box in the XBMB3C settings (assuming they are using XBMB3C and not the web client/Roku etc).

xnappo

paulsk2

i think firstly i`d probably be best to get md3 working on its own and on remote computers , then i`ll try integrating it into xbmc .

xnappo

Yeah, true.  Make sure you can use the Web client first.

xnappo

paulsk2

i just started on the tutorial post above but all my media is on a nas , therefore i dont have the option to go "right click/properties/share" . would all my media have to be on local folders ?

the way it is so far is that mb3 is seeing my network tv shows, movies and concerts ..... i am using your mq5 skin in xbmc but when i click on movies/tv shows/concerts on the main menu it tries downloading jason data but the i get an error "unable to coonect to host" . if i click on movies/tv shows/concerts in favourites it works . is this normal as i know i can remove the default movie etc folders from the home screen and replace them with the favourites

Edited by paulsk2