One particular movie doesn't start on fire tv devices

horstepipe
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

horstepipe

Hello

I'm starting to use the official Emby app on some Fire tv sticks instead of Kodi, the app seems to work well by now.

For now I'm having one movie which doesn't start at all. That movie works on Kodi and also on Emby Theater on Windows 10.

That movie doesn't seem to differ from other movies which work fine (no special codecs or subtitles), so what's the proper way to report that so you can take a look? Will it be enough to send an app log as described here?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Best regards

Hi, ideally server + ffmpeg log, then if we don't see anything obvious there then you can submit an app log. t hanks.

• Like 1

horstepipe

@@Luke

okay I set "Allow video playback that requires conversion without re-encoding" and the file is direct streaming now. But I don't see in the stats for nerds why it's not direct playing, guess that's only available for real transcoding?

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-remux.txt

Okay, so you had disabled some of the transcoding features on the server and then wondered why something didn't play properly? :)  Did you read the help text under that option you disabled?

The reason it is currently converting audio is because the target system does not support the audio (DTS).

horstepipe

Okay, so you had disabled some of the transcoding features on the server and then wondered why something didn't play properly? :)  Did you read the help text under that option you disabled?

The reason it is currently converting audio is because the target system does not support the audio (DTS).

I'm in a direct play environment so every kind of transcoding feature is no option here.

The problem occurs on my (older) fire tv stick and on a fire tv stick 4k of a user of mine. Other movies with DTS work fine, so why doesn't this?

The problem occurs on my (older) fire tv stick and on a fire tv stick 4k of a user of mine. Other movies with DTS work fine, so why doesn't this?

Without seeing specifics, I cannot say.

I'm in a direct play environment so every kind of transcoding feature is no option here.

Then you need to be 100% certain all your media is direct playable by all of your devices or you will have issues.

horstepipe
Then you need to be 100% certain all your media is direct playable by all of your devices or you will have issues.

that's why I'm here lol

Take a look at the attached screenshot. There's media info of two movies. The left one is the one which doesn't play without transcoding. The right one plays fine (showing DTS local downmix in stats for nerds). They look absolutely the same...?

So what info do you need...?

post-119953-0-79901300-1583419710_thumb.png

Edited by horstepipe

Something about one of the videos is not playable directly (it is throwing an error) so we fall back to remuxing on the server but, when you have this disabled, we are stuck and cannot continue.

If you send an app log, I may be able to tell you what is causing the error.

horstepipe

If you send an app log, I may be able to tell you what is causing the error.

report sent, user is horstepipe.

Thanks!

• Solution

Yeah, it has to do with the specific encoding of the video:

E/EventLogger(17053): com.google.android.exoplayer2.ParserException: Lacing only supported in SimpleBlocks.

It would be this part:

deblock=1:-1:-1

vs:

deblock=1:0:0
  • Like 1

horstepipe

Yeah, it has to do with the specific encoding of the video:

E/EventLogger(17053): com.google.android.exoplayer2.ParserException: Lacing only supported in SimpleBlocks.

It would be this part:

deblock=1:-1:-1
vs:

deblock=1:0:0

Thanks for the info!

From your experience, is this a rare case or should I better recheck all my video files now?

I've seen it three or four times over the years.  I guess that makes it rare.

Yeah, it should be fine then on everything except the Fire devices (with current app beta).

• Like 1

horstepipe

(with current app beta).

sorry, but what do you mean by that? Shoud it work on stable? (doesn't make sense lol but it sounds like that to me)

Edited by horstepipe

The current stable version of the Android TV app does not have the Exo version necessary for this fix.  The beta does.

• Like 1

horstepipe

The current stable version of the Android TV app does not have the Exo version necessary for this fix.  The beta does.

Thanks for clarifying.

I found another video which doesn't start. This one is way newer, so I don't expect the same problem. Would you mind if I send an app log again?

horstepipe

sorry that was false alarm, it was a hevc file so the old fire tv stick doesn't have a chance. Is there a convenient way to access the app log so I can check what's going on by myself?

sorry that was false alarm, it was a hevc file so the old fire tv stick doesn't have a chance. Is there a convenient way to access the app log so I can check what's going on by myself?

Currently no but you can go through the process to submit it to us for review.

• Like 1

You can but it requires a fair amount of hoops to jump through and some technical knowledge.  Google Android Debug Bridge.

• Like 1