Nvidia Shield can't direct play avi and mpeg4

dsua

Some specs: 

Server Version 3.0.5912.0 (Ubuntu)

Shield Running Android 6

DNLA: off

Transcoding: off

I don't want to transcode any content because my NAS isn't powerful enough to transcode at a descent framerate. H265, most H264 Plays direct (Having some issues playing H264 Level 5+) works good. Avi and mpeg4 get stuck loading (since I disabled transcoding)

I have Kodi installed with access to the same library (No emby add-on) and it plays all the formats mentioned above. What am I missing?

Any help would be appreciated. 

While AVI is supposedly supported by that device, I have found most do not play back properly.  The player we are using now does not officially support them either stating that most Android platforms do not.

Kodi has a completely custom player ported from their other platforms which supports a wide variety of formats not natively supported on the device. 

• 3 years later...

We already can direct play mp4.  AVI, I'm not so sure (but possibly).  It isn't a current container in wide use.

Gilgamesh_48

We already can direct play mp4.  AVI, I'm not so sure (but possibly).  It isn't a current container in wide use.

AVI is not only old it is quite poor compared to most other containers in use today. Anyone that has AVI files should use any of the many many tools to get them into a different container.

As time progresses there are more and more devices that do not support AVI being made and distributed AVI was on its death bed 10 years ago and, due to reasons involving both inertia and simple laziness on the part of people that pirate content, (Most, by far, new AVIs that show up today come from torrent sites that provide illegally shared files) the life support has not been removed.

I still have AVIs that are many years old but I do not share my library at all and I have a system that finds it easy to transcode as needed. Whenever I notice that a particular file is an AVI I place it in a queue to get converted to an MP4. I use MP4s mainly because that container is direct played by every device I own. I make sure that all my MP4s are at a common framerate and a low enough bitrate and with a common audio so it gives none of my devices any headaches. I do use MKV as well for my new rips (mainly to contain subtitles for when I have a visitor [usually my granddaughters] that need them) but I do not see any need to move AVIs to MKVs because MP4 works so well and there is not any advantage.

I encountered a transcode today with not supported codec on my shield today. I added the fmpeg log from the happening.

I ripped them all as mp4 with mpeg4 codec.

Can you provide me with that file for testing?

BlazedMonkey

I emphatically disagree:

5cbea4d76e9f8_Movies.jpg

5cbea5107fb13_TVshows.jpg

Gilgamesh_48

I emphatically disagree:

5cbea4d76e9f8_Movies.jpg

5cbea5107fb13_TVshows.jpg

Just because your fairly small library is using a fair percentage of avi files does not mean that avi is not pretty much dead as far as a usable format goes.

The only time I have seen a "new" avi file is when I run into them when setting up a new Emby or Plex system. In all cases that I know of the avis are either VERY old or they were acquired from a file sharing/pirating site. If avi is not pretty much dead it should be.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

BlazedMonkey

Just because your fairly small library is using a fair percentage of avi files does not mean that avi is not pretty much dead as far as a usable format goes.

The only time I have seen a "new" avi file is when I run into them when setting up a new Emby or Plex system. In all cases that I know of the avis are either VERY old or they were acquired from a file sharing/pirating site. If avi is not pretty much dead it should be.

Those are both your assumptions and your opinions.  Some of us have been collecting and ripping for decades at this point, and have a variety of file types. Your prejudice against avi files doesn't negate the fact that they exist currently, and have existed for far longer than modern file types such as mkv. Not everyone wants to re-rip their entire library every time a new file format comes out.

Those are both your assumptions and your opinions.  Some of us have been collecting and ripping for decades at this point, and have a variety of file types. Your prejudice against avi files doesn't negate the fact that they exist currently, and have existed for far longer than modern file types such as mkv. Not everyone wants to re-rip their entire library every time a new file format comes out.

While we certainly understand that, as tools move forward it sometimes becomes very hard to continue to support legacy formats.  I'm afraid Google has no interest in supporting AVI so that makes it difficult for us on this platform as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Pounyet
Bonjour, j'ai acheté il y a quelques jours votre application Android TV uniquement pour lire des AVI pour mon fils et après des heures de recherche je me rend compte qu'en fait vous ne supportez juste pas ce format pourtant universellement utilisé.

Est-ce vrai ? Comment me faire rembourser cette arnaque ?

Hello, I bought a few days ago your Android TV application only to read AVI for my son and after hours of research I realize that in fact you just do not support this format yet universally used.

Is it true ? How to get paid back this scam?

Bonjour, j'ai acheté il y a quelques jours votre application Android TV uniquement pour lire des AVI pour mon fils et après des heures de recherche je me rend compte qu'en fait vous ne supportez juste pas ce format pourtant universellement utilisé.
Est-ce vrai ? Comment me faire rembourser cette arnaque ?

Hello, I bought a few days ago your Android TV application only to read AVI for my son and after hours of research I realize that in fact you just do not support this format yet universally used.
Is it true ? How to get paid back this scam?

Hi.  We do support playing AVI files.  The server will convert them on the fly.

Thanks.