DTS 5.1 Music wav format not playing.

deepac7

ltworf13
28 minutes ago, ebr said:

So that is a WAV file but it contains compressed DTS audio?

WAV is supposed to be raw PCM and that is what it is interpreted as.

k, I'll wait until tomorrow, thx. So compressed will not play in Emby? How can you tell if a file is compressed DTS audio and is there a way to make it raw PCM?

5 minutes ago, ltworf13 said:

So compressed will not play in Emby?

No, that works just fine.  The issue here is that the WAV file container is supposed to contain raw data, not compressed data.  So it is being played as raw bits.  The exact same thing happens if you try to play this in Windows media player.

Changing the container may allow it to play properly.

BTW the beta will not make a difference here.

Spaceboy

i can't even really add my dts music to the server properly, each track is treated as an individual album. i'm waiting until some of the basic kinks with the refresh of music functionality have been resolved before i then try adding my hi res music again. when i tested i found that most played in wav format in one client or another. hope to pick it up again soon

For this to work in Android I'm assuming we'd need to do some sort of modifications to the player as I can't see Google taking it on since virtually none of their target market would have such formats.  But, we can ask and possibly look into it in the future.

rbjtech

Everything I have sees this as a DTS file - incl ffmpeg.  Using the extension to determine a file type is just plain bad practice - it should read the file header and determine what type of file it is from that ...  

5 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Everything I have sees this as a DTS file

I get static if I simply double-click the file in Windows.

6 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Using the extension to determine a file type is just plain bad practice

I doubt that is what is happening but I also doubt that Exoplayer would ever expect to see this particular format/container.

rbjtech
2 hours ago, ltworf13 said:

how do I change it, please. I'll give that a go

possibly rename it .dts ?  I haven't tried, but worth a go.

So the web player plays .wav (dts) fine as ffmpeg understands it is a DTS file, and thus transcodes it.

I've tried all sorts of extensions and Exo just plays as a bitstream .. :(

Edited by rbjtech

ltworf13
19 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Ah so Exo does support it via the ffmpeg extension

oh, that's awesome. So maybe they can add it into their next Beta so we can test it for them :)

Edited by ltworf13

24 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Ah so Exo does support it via the ffmpeg extension .. but it would need a new build I believe ..

https://exoplayer.dev/supported-formats.html

https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer/blob/release-v2/extensions/ffmpeg/README.md

What are you looking at giving you that impression?  The extension doesn't handle any containers at all.  It only handles streams once they have been extracted from containers.

rbjtech

"In addition to Android’s platform decoders, ExoPlayer can also make use of software decoder extensions. These must be manually built and included in projects that wish to make use of them. We currently provide software decoder extensions for AV1, VP9, FLAC, Opus and FFmpeg."

From the link I provided - Am I misunderstanding what this is saying ?  If I have, my apologies. 

13 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

"In addition to Android’s platform decoders, ExoPlayer can also make use of software decoder extensions. These must be manually built and included in projects that wish to make use of them. We currently provide software decoder extensions for AV1, VP9, FLAC, Opus and FFmpeg."

From the link I provided - Am I misunderstanding what this is saying ?  If I have, my apologies. 

Just maybe not fully understanding or deciphering what they are really saying there :).

A "decoder" decodes a particular format of media.  Before you get to decoding it, you first have to understand the container and extract the different media streams from that container (and understand what each of those are).

The place this particular item is stumbling is the container part.  The stream inside that container is being seen as raw audio when, in fact, it is compressed DTS audio.  Windows makes this same interpretation.

We already utilize the ffmpeg extension in Exo (as well as a few others that we have created ourselves).  We are going to have to look into whether or not it is possible to extend Exo to understand that this container that is supposed to have raw audio in it (wav) actually has something else and then handle it from there.  We are looking into that but I cannot make any promises because, it is such a rare case, if it isn't an easy thing to do it may take a while.

• Thanks 1

ltworf13
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

if it isn't an easy thing to do it may take a while.

Well, us audiophiles who appreciate good sounding music, very much appreciate you hard work. DTS and Atmos music is becoming a big thing. There's a lot of discussion on this on all the audio forums I belong to which is what prompted this venture to begin with. When I saw others talking about I was curious to see what all the fuse was about. Thanks again and looking forward to hear this some day :)

Edited by ltworf13

ltworf13

I just Installed Plex for curiosity and got it to play in Plex but so far only in stereo sound. I'm not a fan of Plex but for now that will have to do.maybe there's a configuration I can do to make it play in  DTS 

pwhodges
6 hours ago, ebr said:

So that is a WAV file but it contains compressed DTS audio?

WAV is supposed to be raw PCM and that is what it is interpreted as.

The Wav container can hold PCM, but also other compressed formats - it is not a PCM-only thing, except by common assumption.

In the case of DTS, I have often used Minnetonka's Surcode DTS encoder to generate Wav files containing multi-channel DTS which can then be used with video to make a DVD or (if 44.1kHz) burned to CD for surround music, which DVD players, at least, are perfectly happy with..  Software players can also recognise the format and play it correctly.

Paul

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Davey's
On 2/25/2021 at 6:06 PM, ebr said:

No, that works just fine.  The issue here is that the WAV file container is supposed to contain raw data, not compressed data.  So it is being played as raw bits.  The exact same thing happens if you try to play this in Windows media player.

Changing the container may allow it to play properly.

BTW the beta will not make a difference here.

Playing a DTS Wav file with VLC mediaplayer simply plays the compressed file.

why Emby doesn't support the codec? 

8 hours ago, Davey's said:

Playing a DTS Wav file with VLC mediaplayer simply plays the compressed file.

why Emby doesn't support the codec? 

Emby does support wav files as well as DTS, as well as DTS .wav files. If you're having an issue playing them, we're happy to help. Please see how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

Davey's

I only here whitenoise

I'm using Emby on my smartphone: Oppo Reno 2 (cph1907), with Android10

UPDATE: I do hear whitenoise in Emby for Android 3.2.01 unfortunately also via Android Auto.

My car has a JBL sound system with no less than 8 speakers, it would be nice if I can play DTS with 5.1 channels.

on the other app LG (WebOS) Emby Theater 1.0.24 DTS Audio plays perfectly :)

unfortunately also via receiver

When I try to Cast to my Yamaha Receiver with

'Emby for Android'

it doesn't work either, it's not the receiver because the TV is also connected and plays the audio on it.

Edited by Davey's
new results :)

• 2 weeks later...
ltworf13
On 25/02/2021 at 15:37, ltworf13 said:

Well, us audiophiles who appreciate good sounding music, very much appreciate you hard work. DTS and Atmos music is becoming a big thing. There's a lot of discussion on this on all the audio forums I belong to which is what prompted this venture to begin with. When I saw others talking about I was curious to see what all the fuse was about. Thanks again and looking forward to hear this some day :)

hi Emby folks, is there an update to this yet? Tied of using VLC to play them :)

33 minutes ago, ltworf13 said:

hi Emby folks, is there an update to this yet? Tied of using VLC to play them :)

Hi.  The apps should play them but not necessarily as DTS yet.

ltworf13
13 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  The apps should play them but not necessarily as DTS yet.

I still get static noise in Emby and plays DTS in VLC. Is there a setting I should be using. right now I have it a passthrough on my Shield Pro

1 minute ago, ltworf13 said:

I still get static noise in Emby and plays DTS in VLC. Is there a setting I should be using. right now I have it a passthrough on my Shield Pro

Please install the latest beta of the app:

ltworf13
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

Please install the latest beta of the app:

ok, thx now it plays. It's not exactly in DTS sound. it comes up as multisound or in stereo depending on the file. Are you folks still working on it to be true DTS?