DTS 5.1 Music wav format not playing.

deepac7

pwhodges

That's odd - MQA is designed to be playable at ordinary quality without special decoding.  Static noise should not be an option in this case.

For me, your test file plays as expected in both the web client and Theatre, also in iOS and Android clients..

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

deepac7

That's odd - MQA is designed to be playable at ordinary quality without special decoding. Static noise should not be an option in this case.

For me, your test file plays as expected in both the web client and Theatre, also in iOS and Android clients..

Paul

I'm on shieldtv and I hear static.

Is it playing direct for you or transcoding?

deepac7

Okay I just played the same track on web client and it is playing perfectly (direct play). I still hear static on shieldtv.

Edit :Before I played it on web client, I played two other MQA tracks. One played normally and other one was again static.

Now after playing on webclient, I went back to shieldtv and all tracks which were playing static are playing just fine.

What kind of sorcery is this?

Edited by deepac7
  • Like 1

pwhodges

Direct playing.

It took some effort to force it to transcode; I turned my phone's wifi off and set the audio quality to 64k - the dashboard said it was still direct playing, but a transcoding log was generated which showed that it was generating an aac stream.  Anyway, it still played OK. 

Note that I am using the current beta server 4.4.0.21 (I realise this is not the beta forum).

Paul

The wav files with DTS will not direct play in the web app, just FYI. Browsers do not support dts.

deepac7

The wav files with DTS will not direct play in the web app, just FYI. Browsers do not support dts.

Yes, makes sense.

deepac7

Okay I just played the same track on web client and it is playing perfectly (direct play). I still hear static on shieldtv.

Edit :Before I played it on web client, I played two other MQA tracks. One played normally and other one was again static.

Now after playing on webclient, I went back to shieldtv and all tracks which were playing static are playing just fine.

What kind of sorcery is this?

@@Luke Any idea why this happened?

I'm not sure. If you can get it to happen again then we can take a closer look.

• 2 weeks later...
deepac7

Ok it's resolved for the next release. thanks.

Was this supposed to be resolved on the recent Emby client app update or upcoming server update for shield tv?

The file still plays static after updating the emby client on my shieldtv.

• Like 2

FrostByte

I'm on Shield TV beta .93 and Server beta .22 and all by DTS music is static unless I put it into a mka container then it transcodes to 128 bit AAC.   Use VLC on the Shield though and it plays just fine.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Spaceboy

I'm on Shield TV beta .93 and Server beta .22 and all by DTS music is static unless I put it into a mka container then it transcodes to 128 bit AAC. Use VLC on the Shield though and it plays just fine.

yeah ebr needs to fix this

FrostByte

Might this be a limitation of exoplayer or is it the app/server?  I've tried raw .dts files and I've tried remuxing dts music into .wav and .mka containers and nothing works on the Shield except VLC

Spaceboy

Might this be a limitation of exoplayer or is it the app/server? I've tried raw .dts files and I've tried remuxing dts music into .wav and .mka containers and nothing works on the Shield except VLC

if exo can play dts audio in video then my instinct is it must be possible.
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
13 minutes ago, ltworf13 said:

has this been resolved yet. I would like to play my DTS wav files on my Shield TV android app

Can you please try it with the current beta version of the app?

ltworf13
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

Can you please try it with the current beta version of the app?

sure thing where can I find the link to the beat app :)

5 minutes ago, ltworf13 said:

sure thing where can I find the link to the beat app :)

Click on the link in the message you quoted :).

ltworf13

ok i follow the android tv link and signed up for the beta tester. when I go to the playstore on my shield and search for Emby it show "Emby for Android TV(Beta)" so I'm assuming I now have the beta version. Do I need to reconfigure anything. I tried to play one of my wav files and it still plays in static

5 minutes ago, ltworf13 said:

ok i follow the android tv link and signed up for the beta tester. when I go to the playstore on my shield and search for Emby it show "Emby for Android TV(Beta)" so I'm assuming I now have the beta version. Do I need to reconfigure anything. I tried to play one of my wav files and it still plays in static

Can you please confirm the version number of the app shown on its config page?  It may or may not have updated immediately.

If it is the beta ( >1.8.55) can you provide a sample file for testing?

ltworf13
4 minutes ago, ebr said:

Can you please confirm the version number of the app shown on its config page?  It may or may not have updated immediately.

If it is the beta ( >1.8.55) can you provide a sample file for testing?

version 1.8.55g registered 

27 minutes ago, ltworf13 said:

version 1.8.55g registered 

Okay, that is the standard release. You may need to force an update on the device or wait until tomorrow when it will probably do it automatically.

So that is a WAV file but it contains compressed DTS audio?

WAV is supposed to be raw PCM and that is what it is interpreted as.