Add Discogs as a fetcher...

skidmarks
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

skidmarks

I suggested in a totally different thread a bit ago about possibly adding Discogs as a meta fetcher... 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/79280-duplicate-music-artists-entries-how-to-get-rid-of-them/

That thread has had a few +1 reply posts.  As such i figured adding it to the feature requests was the proper way to gauge interest.

If you have used MP3tag you should be familiar with Discogs. 

Its a GREAT alternative to Musicbrainz.

Edited by skidmarks
  • Like 37
  • Agree 4

• 2 weeks later...
jdewoody71

Count my vote in on this one. Musicbrainz is meh and theaudiodb is sorely lacking.

• 4 months later...
d00zah

Note that not everyone who gave a  +1 'liked' the 1st post, which is how these things are tracked.

Hi,

This new reactions like (like, thanks .. and a like), will add total for OP no matters what posts in his thread you reacted to his post/s, it will add to the total on main thread.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
swandruski

I'd also like to see discogs as a data source. Since they have data for "Credits" that I brought up in another thread, this would be a nice alternative source. The discogs API is available. A plugin would be great.

• Like 1

CathMowr

Excuse me questioning this, I am always happy about new features in the audio segment of emby, but that does not make a lot of sense to me.

Discogs is a database mainly for physical media, in contrast to musicbrainz which is literally built for all kind of audio media that does have DIGITAL metadata, something that becomes more and more important in an age where pyhsicals stop existing. I found a lot of music from the past 3 years on MB that was not present on discogs because it never got a phys.

Additionally the library quality of MB is very good, while importing about 700 albums into emby i had to create about 30 of them because they were not on MB. And believe me, I have some obscure austrian shit from the last century and i found most of the down to their correct EAN. Additionally there are (mostly) transparent editing rules on MB - which can be annoying at first - but they help keep their metadata uniformly, something that exists on discogs but does not really gets enacted. And I do not want to start talking about other features (recordings f.e.) that discogs does not even have.

I dont want to fanboy here, I like and use discogs a lot too.

But I would really appreciate it to see embys capabilites pushed of using the data that is already there - with the fetching process we have - before getting just another option to get data thrown at me. Please, make what we have work to its full potential before adding more stuff that does the same job, and that maybe even worse.

Sorry, Short story long.

All the best!

pwhodges

Discogs has the edge in certain areas, I guess.  I have in my library 51 CDs on which my son is playing - Discogs knows about 21 of them - but MusicBrainz knows just 7. 

But either way, I still have a huge amount of work (months, maybe years) to get my library fully tagged, because I have way more obscure stuff than my son's disks.

Paul

5 hours ago, CathMowr said:

Discogs is a database mainly for physical media, in contrast to musicbrainz which is literally built for all kind of audio media that does have DIGITAL metadata, something that becomes more and more important in an age where pyhsicals stop existing.

That is a completely inaccurate statement. Your argument based on amount of digital releases is flawed.

From what I can find current stats show Discogs out in front.

Discogs: 1,581,884 current file releases

MB: 534,820 releases without physical packaging

MB only has 2.7 million releases and Discogs has over 13 million

I admit I am biased because I was in bed with Discogs long before I heard of MB so never really used it much. They both have their flaws and advantages as most choices in life do. My experience with consistent data in MB using Beets has not been good, I use Discogs almost exclusively.

• Like 2

CathMowr
44 minutes ago, zetetic said:

That is a completely inaccurate statement. Your argument based on amount of digital releases is flawed.

From what I can find current stats show Discogs out in front.

Discogs: 1,581,884 current file releases

MB: 534,820 releases without physical packaging

MB only has 2.7 million releases and Discogs has over 13 million

I admit I am biased because I was in bed with Discogs long before I heard of MB so never really used it much. They both have their flaws and advantages as most choices in life do. My experience with consistent data in MB using Beets has not been good, I use Discogs almost exclusively.

Sorry, that statement was not made relying on data, more on personal experience during the last coupleof months. But anyways, no reason not to have discogs as a fetcher, even if i don't see the urgegency.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Bigmack3000

Any ETA on discogs being added?  is this something that could happen or soon? Or something to happen down the line?

• Like 2

skidmarks

Not even sure it is even on the table.  But we are generating interest!  That how the developers can at least see that end users would appreciate this feature.

Edited by skidmarks
  • Like 1

I am going to +1 on this.

Discogs.com always gets its first dig at it with TagScanner... I have also used information available and present to 'refine' the indicated metadata in some cases. You do have to watch the Album Art however, not all qualities are created equal.. ( photograph versus scan.. usually a picture of product versus database information )

I have everything from cassette to vinyl rips. I used Discogs.com for a lot of it, musicbrains.org for the fall back. I do stay away from musicbrains.org for a couple of reasons though. (and this is through perception and 16,388  albums) The updating or writing of genre tags wasn't occurring, and album art was spotty... BUT sometimes it had metadata that wasn't anywhere else, also like what was being said above standards were varying. Musicbrains also writes a default 1/1 disc number where not necessary. During that same time period I noticed that with some of my Beatport purchases, data was coming more available on Discogs. I also had variables with information regarding mixtapes. Some of these improvements have happened over the last year or so. That being said..

I still have to take it to the search engine in many cases, that means I have to find a result.. maybe even take it to a distributor, (Beatport, bandcamp, soundcloud..on and on.. ) search then again for the content, type it in by hand into the metadata fields, and HOPEFULLY save/download or screenshot the album art and embed it all. When you have a DJ archive ranging to 8,000+ single files- meaning each its own metadata, art, album, folder structure- for the archive. ( I am still not finished BTW.. 😜 mah fingahs urt, 2700 or so to go ) it winds up being a daunting task. Discogs has been much appreciated by adding many of those entries to its database. The creator of Discogs is also a radio DJ, so I would thing it would have a good place to be one day, and is improving as well. My data is still having to manually aggregated from all over by hand and embedded to have proper identification and art in most cases. Some things like DJ Sets, 'Underground Music', bootlegs, White Labels, Banned 'Contraband' Music, and one-press copy Promos I expect this a little bit..

All things considered, I mentioned standards before in the forum, there really should be one held not just for an online database, but for distributor/labels as well. A place solely dedicated to ALL metadata information for everything created and as full on as possible with the same hard schema in place for a point of continuity in this data. It would enable des to create apps and programs for management and playing these items the same and as rich/full as possible. A proper history of information. We are about 30 years into the digital age and still looking to create standards to address it's usage/identification.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Would be nice to see this as a plugin somewhere... Authorization is pretty easy.. something like what TagScanner does..

digitaljdr

+1 for my vote, any idea of when this will get any reply from dev/staff?