Webhooks - Android TV Resume and Pause do not send a hook

JustEric78

JustEric78

@@Luke @@ebr

I have been working with Derek over at https://sequematic.com/ to automate my lights turning on and off based off of the event that Emby sends over. I will be posting a write up on how to get this setup for other users but in the meantime, we found that a hook is not sent for pause or resume. I will still add those steps in my write up with the caveat that it is currently not working for those two commands. On a side note, out of my ignorance, what is the scrobble event? I have not set that up so depending on what it is supposed to do, I will add that to the write up.

• Like 1

JustEric78

Thank you @@ebr

Thank you, in that case I will leave that functionality baked into the sequence that I posted about separately in the home automation section. 

• 3 weeks later...

@@ebr I'm using version: 1.7.92g and am seeing a pause event but not the unpause event

In exactly what context?

MRobi

In exactly what context?

Using the web app I get a playback.unpause event with webhooks.

Using the Android app I do not. I only get playback.start, playback.stop and playback.pause

• Thanks 1

Using the web app I get a playback.unpause event with webhooks.

Using the Android app I do not. I only get playback.start, playback.stop and playback.pause

Playing what?

JustEric78

Is the pause/resume triggers supposed to be working now? Unless I have the hooks worded wrong, they are still not working for me via an Nvidia Shield and Server 2012 R2. Currently I have it looking for playback.pause and playback.resume

Edited by JustEric78

MRobi

@@ebr @@Luke

TV Series:

I receive playback.start, playback.stop, playback.pause

I do not receive playback.unpause

Movies 

I receive playback.start, playback.stop, playback.pause

I do not receive playback.unpause

Music

I receive playback.start and playback.stop

When paused it sends a playback.stop followed immediately by playback.scrobble

When resumed it sends a playback.start instead of playback.unpause

This is android tv only. On the android mobile app they all work as expected.

Another thing I've noticed in my testing is that the webhooks seem to stop sending after the server has been running a while. To do the above test I had to reboot the server and I noticed the same thing yesterday as well. I'll pull the logs if I notice it persists.

@@JustEric78 you should be looking for playback.unpause not resume. playback.pause is working

Edited by MRobi

MRobi

@@Luke

4:58pm and currently watching Westworld S03E01

Last webhook was sent at 3:11pm and you can see numerous playback starts and stops afterwards.

In the logs though I don't even see where Westworld even started to be played. You can see the playback start reported at 16:55 but no details in logs showing what it was.

embyserver.txt

Music

I receive playback.start and playback.stop

When paused it sends a playback.stop followed immediately by playback.scrobble

When resumed it sends a playback.start instead of playback.unpause

Perhaps we just need to send unpause in addition to start here because there is no distinction with music between pausing and stopping. 

How do you treat unpause differently from start?

MRobi

Perhaps we just need to send unpause in addition to start here because there is no distinction with music between pausing and stopping. 

How do you treat unpause differently from start?

In my specific use case I treat an unpause exactly the same as a start. But I can't speak for everyone. Others may have a better use for it.

I only mention it for consistency since android mobile sends an unpause while android tv sends a start.

switch(status) {
        case ["playback.start","playback.unpause"]: status = "playing"; break;
        case ["playback.pause"]: status = "paused";  break;
        case ["playback.stop","playback.scrobble"]: status = "stopped"; break;
    }

JustEric78

In my specific use case I treat an unpause exactly the same as a start. But I can't speak for everyone. Others may have a better use for it.

I only mention it for consistency since android mobile sends an unpause while android tv sends a start.

switch(status) {
        case ["playback.start","playback.unpause"]: status = "playing"; break;
        case ["playback.pause"]: status = "paused";  break;
        case ["playback.stop","playback.scrobble"]: status = "stopped"; break;

Same, pause is the same as stop and unpause is the same as start. 

The thing is "stop" just doesn't exist in the current world of music players.  I doubt you can show me one with a stop button on the interface.  But, as far as actual operation (from the computer's standpoint) goes, it makes more sense to me to treat the pause of music as a stop because that is the only way to stop a current music player.

MRobi

The thing is "stop" just doesn't exist in the current world of music players.  I doubt you can show me one with a stop button on the interface.  But, as far as actual operation (from the computer's standpoint) goes, it makes more sense to me to treat the pause of music as a stop because that is the only way to stop a current music player.

Is it possible for pause to be sent when paused and stop to be sent when backing out of the music screen?

Otherwise I do agree that leaving it as-is for music would be best with just start/stop and add the unpause to tv and movies.

Is it possible for pause to be sent when paused and stop to be sent when backing out of the music screen?

Backing out of the music screen does not stop music playback.