Intel HD620 transcode limits?

pgalbavy

pgalbavy

Only tangentially related to Emby but I think this forum will have people who know... I am beginning to transcode my media collection to HEVC (with audio copy, so Emby can't do this directly for me) and I know my i7-7500U will support multiple decode/encodes with ffmpeg but I cannot find any stated limits.

Mostly BluRay rips but there will be HD-DVD/DVD MPEG2 files as well.

Any experience of how many parallel transcodes my HD620 will handle and/or pointers to wider sources of benchmarks/info?

For now I'm just kicking off 4 transcodes in parallel and it seems to be coping.

Jdiesel

My experience testing my HD630 has been about 8-10 1080p remux transcoded and 2-3 4k HVEC transcodes.

The CPU may still be required for certain conversation aspects so this may. Not be universal across the board. I have an Intel i7 8700 in my server.

pgalbavy

Thanks; With 4 ffmpeg processes it seems comfortable, 8 and it feels slower but I am still doing approximate / non-scientific benchmarks. 

Q-Droid

My experience testing my HD630 has been about 8-10 1080p remux transcoded and 2-3 4k HVEC transcodes.

The CPU may still be required for certain conversation aspects so this may. Not be universal across the board. I have an Intel i7 8700 in my server.

That's also been my experience with an i3 8100. Those are usable playback numbers. You can probably go higher concurrent for conversions that don't have to keep up with real time, at a lower fps.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

There won't be any stated limits, because there are too many variables. But be aware that encoding to HEVC is a tough job, more so the higher the resolution and bitrate.

• Like 1