Rollback / Restore

Cthalpa
Go to solution Solved by Cthalpa,

The windows server has 16GB RAM, the ubuntu server has 148GB

The Android playback device...

@@ebr @@Luke

Any findings, and can you guys confirm you're going to rollback or fix (in the near future)?

Hi.  At this point, your issue appears to be related to the device you are using or your environment but we haven't been able to identify anything specific.

Cthalpa

The Android playback device...

Hi.  At this point, your issue appears to be related to the device you are using or your environment but we haven't been able to identify anything specific.

I cannot use my media with this new release, and I am honestly not gonna use more time debugging with Emby.

All I can say, that Emby was working flawless on my AndroidTV prior to 20191227 release, now it crashes >all the time< driving everybody here nuts!

I dont see how you could expect to find anything specific in the server logs, when it's the Emby TV app that crashes!!!!!!!????

All the logs show is me logging in and out and in and out and in and out!

I have shared videos with the issues at hand - and theres nothing "specific"??

Theres 10+ million TCL Android TV's in the U.S alone - do you seriously think I am the only one with this issue?

My neighbor experienced the exact same issues, also on Android TV (Sony).

I'm telling you now; There are >issues< with the new Emby app for Android TV!

Cthalpa

My TV(s):
TCL 50ep685

Specifications say 16/10 GB Internal Memory.

And a footnote to all of this: The consumer (your customers) cannot build to suit emby, emby must build to suit us (your customers), so whatever is broken - we cannot fix it, only you can.

And like I have stated, everything works blazing fast as always on every other app such as iOS, Web, PS4 and so on, so it's not a server issue at all, remove focus from my servers!

Edited by Cthalpa

Hi.  I'm not focusing on your server.  I am trying to see the interaction between the app and server because the root of your slowness (in the log I saw) was a very slow response from your server.  So I'm trying to see if there are clues to that in the server log.

We're sorry you are having these issues.  The app went through a very long beta period and we did not have any reports of issues like this so I do not know what the cause of them is yet.

Thanks.

Cthalpa

a very slow response from your server.  So I'm trying to see if there are clues to that in the server log.

This is only happening for the Android TV. Theres nothing else that loads slowly (ipad, pc etc), so if it was a server error, it would have been everything that would load slowly.

We're sorry you are having these issues.  The app went through a very long beta period and we did not have any reports of issues like this so I do not know what the cause of them is yet.

Thanks.

So am I, cause we use basically Emby for everything! TV, Movies, Series, Kids movies and so on, and if it cant be resolved, we gotta change platform.

CBers

This is only happening for the Android TV. Theres nothing else that loads slowly (ipad, pc etc), so if it was a server error, it would have been everything that would load slowly.

@@Cthalpa If you supply the server logs (PM them to Ebr if you don't ant to post here) and he can then match up the times to see if there is a server issue with the ATV app.

As Ebr said, this was all run through multiple Beta releases before it went Stable and wasn't picked up, so he's just trying to see what the issue is, which viewing the server logs will help.

The fact that your server is remote and not in-house, may be the issue, although it may also be a red-herring, but Ebr needs to view the logs to fully assist you.

Hope that helps :)

Cthalpa

The fact that your server is remote and not in-house, may be the issue, although it may also be a red-herring, but Ebr needs to view the logs to fully assist you.

Hope that helps :)

As I have stated several times, the issue is the same, regardless of the server being remote or in-house.. Both tested.

There was no issues prior to 20191227 update.

I feel like I am repeating myself over and over again :(

PenkethBoy

If you provide EBR with the info thats been requested then he can help if you dont then.................

Cthalpa

If you provide EBR with the info thats been requested then he can help if you dont then.................

That info has been provided several times, but I have written him in person, suggesting troubleshooting step by step.

CBers

I feel like I am repeating myself over and over again :(

Only trying to help understand what Ebr needs to investigate further :)

If you have supplied the issues privately, then we can leave this here for the time being.

Hope it gets resolved for you.

Cthalpa

How many libraries do you have defined?

@@ebr 5 (not counting collections library (from the plugin), as well as the playlist library)

Cthalpa

@@ebr

root@emby:~# ls -alh /var/lib/emby/config/system.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 emby emby 3.7K Jan 30 09:58 /var/lib/emby/config/system.xml
root@emby:~#

So in other words, only 3.7KB

Cthalpa

@@ebr

I may have found the issue.
I have connected to the tv via console, and I am exploring some things.

I will be back shortly with my findings.

Good because I could not make it crash connecting to your server and the UI comes up in about 5 seconds on my remote connection.

Please let us know how it goes.

Cthalpa

@@ebr

I have resolved the issue.
I am putting together the data I retrieved, so I can piece it together, and write you the details, as this would be something for your release notes for future releases.

I will write here again in 20-30 minutes and close the case :)

• Solution
Cthalpa

@@ebr

Long debugging story short:

When logged into the android o/s on the TV, going through emby and networks related logs in the applications directory, my eye cought some indifferences in versions in the metadata and cache files (1.5.50 and so on and so on, a multitude of versions). Inspecting the packets to/from the server, showed me alot of dropped packages, and invalid data building up pretty fast. The server was feeding useless datastreams to the tv app.

Immidiately after, I cleared the emby app cache data (if you know linux, you know it all, right? ;)), and returned to the TV to restart the emby app.

Because of clearing all the app cache and data, I of course had to re-enter the server data (url, user id etc), just like when the installation is fresh.

I was then able to log in immidiately, without any delay, and I have not been able to provoke the error again.
Going through the app cache data, and inspecting the network, there is absolutely no errors or discards in packets - everything "talks" together smoothly.

Cooked down - When upgrading to new version from Google Play Store, it is inherently important to clear cache and data.
You can do that directly from the TV, alas no need to console connect to the TV to manually drop caches and clear data.

I have attached photos of how to clear cache on the TV from Android within.

In text: Go to "Settings", select "Apps", select "Emby", select "Clear data" (clear cache is NOT sufficient enough), and you are done.
Remark: If you experience errors after changing server settings, the above applies as well.

I dont know how to close this thread, perhaps someone could mark this "Best answer"?

post-353328-0-43188900-1581358777_thumb.jpg

post-353328-0-47491000-1581358782_thumb.jpg

post-353328-0-28997400-1581358787_thumb.jpg

post-353328-0-08983100-1581358794_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Cthalpa

Very interesting.  Not sure why that would be necessary but good detective work.

Thanks.

I suspect that version indifferences are kept in the data cache, which creates the errors caching up, untill the UI crashes, hence my comment about it being important to clear data cache when upgrading!

Youre welcome.