Dashboard says direct playing but...

pr3dict

Happy2Play

@@TeamB

Can't remember if you covered this or not.

But I suspect this belongs in Plugin section.

pr3dict

@@TeamB

I do remember there being a post about why this happens but I couldn't find it. 

pr3dict

So I found the thread but his TeamB's posts are missing from it...

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/76358-playback-reporting/?hl=%2Bplayback+%2Breporting

^^^ If I'm reading the one sided conversation correctly it seems that emby may actually be changing the file and streaming it vs actually direct playing it. Does this sound right?

@@TeamB

Happy2Play

So I found the thread but his TeamB's posts are missing from it...

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/76358-playback-reporting/?hl=%2Bplayback+%2Breporting

^^^ If I'm reading the one sided conversation correctly it seems that emby may actually be changing the file and streaming it vs actually direct playing it. Does this sound right?

If the client does not have direct access to the files system, Emby will stream the media instead of direct playing, but still reports Direct Play.

Emby does not report Direct Play if the audio is being converted, it reports Direct Stream even though it is technically partial Transcode.  Emby only reports Transcode if video need converting.

Edited by Happy2Play

TeamB

Direct Play is the client is directly playing the file from disk or network share

Direct Stream is the client is playing over HTTP and the server just readying and sending the file

Trans-code is the client playing over HTTP and the server trans-coding either the video or audio to a new format

pr3dict

Yeah that makes sense why I’m getting the skipping trying to stream through the Emby app... I’m using VLC on the shield right now and it’s perfectly fine.

Why would emby think the shield doesn’t have direct access but I’m having no problem with VLC hit the same network share?

Happy2Play

Direct Play is the client is directly playing the file from disk or network share

Direct Stream is the client is playing over HTTP and the server just readying and sending the file

Trans-code is the client playing over HTTP and the server trans-coding either the video or audio to a new format

Not to hijack this topic, but my Roku Direct Plays my media and the Dashboard shows that, but Playback Reporting shows DirectStream.

I can shutdown server and media still continues to play.

Happy2Play

Yeah that makes sense why I’m getting the skipping trying to stream through the Emby app... I’m using VLC on the shield right now and it’s perfectly fine.

Why would emby think the shield doesn’t have direct access but I’m having no problem with VLC hit the same network share?

It is hard to say but you would probably have to go over your Library folder setup.

My Windows setup is server and data on same machine.

5e3cc62550b03_path.jpg

pr3dict

Not to hijack this topic, but my Roku Direct Plays my media and the Dashboard shows that, but Playback Reporting shows DirectStream.

I can shutdown server and media still continues to play.

To TeamB's point I can see the http streams in the server log... Do you see the same in your log?

Also It is hard to say haha. It's weird though because anything outside of the house can directplay fine through emby. All the devices inside the same subnet however, do not. They  all directstream (as per playback reporting) 

That is in relation to the file. For streams it is a bit different language.

In relation to the stream: (stats for nerds in apps / dashboard active devices)

Direct Play = unmodified file (same exact container and codecs) streamed via Emby in order to maintain resume points/bookmarks.

Direct Stream = when only the container was modified (all other streams within the new container are left untouched) and streamed via Emby

Remux = when both the container and audio stream codec were modified (but not the video stream codec) and streamed via Emby

Transcode = when for any reason the video stream  has to be modified and streamed via Emby

The difference between file and stream.

Edited by speechles

pr3dict

That is in relation to the file. For streams it is a bit different language.

In relation to the stream: (stats for nerds in apps / dashboard active devices)

Direct Play = unmodified file (same exact container and codecs) streamed via Emby in order to maintain resume points/bookmarks.

Direct Stream = when only the container was modified (all other streams within the new container are left untouched) and streamed via Emby

Remux = when both the container and audio stream codec were modified (but not the video stream codec) and streamed via Emby

Transcode = when for any reason the video stream  has to be modified and streamed via Emby

The difference between file and stream.

So this is important to understand because by making having emby "stream" the video file to the client I am getting a bottleneck/ stuttering issue with a 100mb/s file. I do not have this issue when using a player and pointing it to the storage share. 

How can I have emby just point to the file and let the client direct play in a traditional way?

Happy2Play

Yeah something is up... The SMB share is perfectly fine but the shield keeps streaming instead of direct playing...

Log attached.

Looking at other topics I would guess it would be a issue with SMB permissions, but a dev would have to comment.

pr3dict

I would normally agree but like I said, other apps connect fine. It just seems to be emby that is trying to circumvent the "direct play" even though statsfornerds and the dashboard say its directplaying it surely is not because of that stuttering issue I explained. 

Looking at other topics I would guess it would be a issue with SMB permissions, but a dev would have to comment.

pr3dict

I think you're talking about video files which has nothing to do with that topic.

"We can't verify the legality of your streams, therefore we run everything through your emby server in order to avoid having our apps potentially violate app store policies"

This isn't referencing direct playing video files?

My big issue which I'm trying to avoid is... Instead of streaming the video through the emby server I want the client to just grab it right from the file server...

When I use an external player I notice this happens correctly though it then leaves the app, which I don't want. How can I have the file direct play without having to go through the server? (The reason I need this is because the server queuing up the video is becoming a bottleneck)

pr3dict

We haven't added direct network file access to the app yet. It's possible for the future though.

I mean am I correct in assuming that it is necessary as we get higher bitrate videos? Or should my server be able to handle a 100Mb/s stream without having the skipping issues that I am having? If so how can I diagnose that?

Edited by pr3dict

I'm not sure i would say it's necessary. The smb protocol is based on http anyway so direct file access turns out to be almost the same thing. But yes in theory, anytime you can reduce extra layers, that's usually a good thing.