Shield 4K random stuttering

jrwalte

jrwalte

I have random issues with playback of 4K content on my 2019 Nvidia Shield. I'm using the latest beta version of Emby with Server 4.3.1.0. I have never witnessed this issue with content below 4K. My server and Shield are on gigabit Ethernet with 2 switches between them (Shield is connected to router. Server is connected to switch in server closet, then another switch at router, then to router). I will try eliminating one device in the chain and connect Shield to the switch instead of the router. But I wouldn't think bandwidth issues would cause the Shield to become unresponsive?

The issue will usually present itself within the first few minutes of playing the movie or it doesn't at all. I'll get micro stutters. Usually it's just the video but sometimes audio will also cut out. When this issue is present, the Shield becomes very slow to respond. I can't pause or pull up the emby menu or go back to the Shield home screen. It will take 30+ seconds to get a response from a command. I'll reboot the Shield and start playing the same movie and then have no issues.

This problem happened last night Feb 2 at about 10:30pm EST when starting to play Aquaman within the first couple minutes. I rebooted the Shield and then watched the movie without issue.

My Emby user ID is 'Primary'.

Attached is my server log.

embyserver-63716284803.txt

jrwalte

I'll read up on broadcast traffic to see.

But that doesn't answer to me why the Shield would become slow to respond to commands. I can't even get it to go to its home screen. I could see a flooded network slowing emby down as it's trying to communicate to the server. But the Shield home menu shouldn't care? And then why does a reboot of Shield solve the problem every time?

But the Shield home menu shouldn't care? And then why does a reboot of Shield solve the problem every time?

Yes that sounds like a device/memory issue.  What else is installed on the device?

jrwalte

Besides the default apps I've only added Emby and Disney +

Default:

NVIDIA Games
Netflix
YouTube
Amazon Prime Video
Google Play Movies & TV
Vudu
Amazon Music
Google Play Store
Google Play Music
PLEX
Google Play Games

jrwalte

I uninstalled Plex. Tried testing by loading different 4k movies.

Aquaman was acting fine and another movie after that I don't remember. But then I loaded Dark Phoenix. Within 10 seconds Emby crashed and I was returned to home screen. I opened Emby and tried movie again. Within 10 seconds Emby crashed again. I rebooted the Shield and then Dark Phoenix played without issue. Crash occurred about 12:41am Feb 4. Submitted log by 12:50.

Attached is server log.

embyserver feb4.txt

Assuming I found your correct log (you didn't tell us the local user name), there is no error reported but it looks like the app just stops.

Based on your remedy - my suspicion would be an out of memory error of some sort but we usually see that in the log so not sure.

This is a pro or one of the tubes?

jrwalte

user ID is Primary. Mentioned it in first post so didn't think to mention it again sorry.

It is the regular 2019 model with 2GB RAM (the tube).

Edited by jrwalte

I wonder if it is a memory management issue on this new device.  I have one so I'll see if I can reproduce the problem.

I am having the exact same issue - same stuttering, audio dropouts etc, same model of shield. Even less installed. Was fine before the weekend, now 4k is unplayable and will make the shield unresponsive. I'm all gigabit ethernet and my server is perfectly happy with the load. Will try to sort logs when I have a mo.

NB I am on the latest beta version of the app, and I see in the changelog that there are some recent audio tweaks which could possibly cause issues, so I'll revert to standard release and see what happens.

Edited by matf

NB I am on the latest beta version of the app, and I see in the changelog that there are some recent audio tweaks which could possibly cause issues, so I'll revert to standard release and see what happens.

There should be no issue with the current beta.

Have you tried re-booting your Shield?

I'm wondering if there is a memory management issue on these new devices.  A few times now, I've noticed very video quality from YouTube - one time to the point of not being able to play at all.  Each time, a reboot of the Shield clears it up.

Hmm. Rolled back to .78 and still getting the issue. Will replicate with debug logs tomorrow. I happen to have a 2015 shield as well, so if I can find time I'll swap the machines over. But I've had the 2019 for several weeks and played 4k HDR from my server with no issues previously.

M

Hmm. Have attached logs. Username is matf.

On the 2019 I played Star Trek Into Darkness, followed by Fate of the Furious, then Maze Runner Scorch Trials. All barely played. Then played Into Darkness on my 2015 shield. Same issue - but I noticed that my powerline ethernet adapter was flashing and network bandwidth seemed slow (AV2000 so should be comfortable with the bandwidth). So rebooted the network, and replayed. On the 2015 this seemed to make the issues disappear. On the 2019 playback was much better, but still skipping the odd frame. This suggests a network issue rather than software, but I'm a bit dubious as the 2019 still seems to be struggling a bit.

RESOLVED: Ok, after extensive head scratching and testing, I decided this was a network issue. Despite iperf reporting that all my network speeds were good I decided to switch a few cables and connections around. Looks like that has resolved the problem. Odd, but I've tested with multiple films and it all looks good.

Logs.zip

Edited by matf

• 11 months later...
OrozarBE
On 2/3/2020 at 4:49 PM, jrwalte said:

I have random issues with playback of 4K content on my 2019 Nvidia Shield. I'm using the latest beta version of Emby with Server 4.3.1.0. I have never witnessed this issue with content below 4K. My server and Shield are on gigabit Ethernet with 2 switches between them (Shield is connected to router. Server is connected to switch in server closet, then another switch at router, then to router). I will try eliminating one device in the chain and connect Shield to the switch instead of the router. But I wouldn't think bandwidth issues would cause the Shield to become unresponsive?

The issue will usually present itself within the first few minutes of playing the movie or it doesn't at all. I'll get micro stutters. Usually it's just the video but sometimes audio will also cut out. When this issue is present, the Shield becomes very slow to respond. I can't pause or pull up the emby menu or go back to the Shield home screen. It will take 30+ seconds to get a response from a command. I'll reboot the Shield and start playing the same movie and then have no issues.

This problem happened last night Feb 2 at about 10:30pm EST when starting to play Aquaman within the first couple minutes. I rebooted the Shield and then watched the movie without issue.

My Emby user ID is 'Primary'.

Attached is my server log.

embyserver-63716284803.txt 1.12 MB · 0 downloads

I had the exact same issue over the last few days on both my shield devices (1 tube and 1 pro). Everything is connected with cat 7 ethernet cables in the same LAN. I don't even use Emby beta versions. However I discovered that restarting the emby server on pc also resolves the issue (only tested that with the shield pro since that is the device I use in my living room). That's even with keeping the app open on the shield, as soon as the emby server is restarted the shield becomes responsive again and the stuttering is gone. 

jrwalte

I can't even remember the last time I had this issue. Emby has been running very smooth since I started using it again in December 2020. I moved in June and didn't set up my theater until December. Now I use it multiple days a week and haven't experienced this issue. I forgot all about it. I'm still running latest beta versions. But what did change was my server. I went from Windows 10 to Server 2012. Maybe that made Emby server stable.