new server, lots of pausing

yaksplat
Go to solution Solved by yaksplat,

yaksplat

I just set up a new server

Version 4.3.1.0

Specs:

Processor: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 V1 Hex (6) Core 2GHz
Memory: 16GB DDR3 (4 x 4GB - DDR3 - Reg )

Hard Drives: WD 8TB red
Controller: 1x LSI 9211-4i HBA JBOD FREENAS UNRAID

Watching on Apple TV app

I migrated all of my content over to it and got everything running.  This server is much more powerful than the old one.  The CPU usage during this issue is under 5% and the memory is under 50%.

The show was direct streaming but every few minutes the show would pause and continue pausing every few seconds until i exited out and then resumed.  I would have to do this ever few minutes, but it was consistent for each show.  9 minutes here, but 2 minutes there.  I reduced the bitrate down to 5MB/s for the log that's attached and it was still happening.  Only when i reduced it to 2.5 MB/sec did it stop.  

Network is gigabit with 4 ports all active and functioning correctly at 1Gbps from the server.

according to vlc:
Media bitrate is 4090 kb/s
content bitrate is 3806 kb/s 

These lines jumped out at me

2020-01-24 22:24:14.024 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 206 to 192.168.1.250. Time: 125754ms. http://192.168.1.183:8096/emby/Videos/683334/stream.mkv?Static=true&mediaSourceId=c08756a8f4619c2e00c7a58a933f736c&deviceId=68515D17-345C-4C48-A543-5044C14BA41A

Any thoughts?

Those times are just the amount of time the client had an open connection to the video file. You would expect that to be a long time therefore it's not any indication of an issue.

This type of problem is usually a sign that the bitrate is too high for the connection. I would try lowering the in-app quality settings. It appears you've done that and you found success with that, but i guess you were hoping for a different answer.

yaksplat

At 2.5MB/s the picture looks horrible.  I never had an issue like this with my previous installation.  What could be different with a more capable server?

yaksplat

I've tested the server to 4Gb/s from 4 computers with no issues.  Full gigabit direct from the main switch to the apple TV.  I'll give everything a reboot and see what happens...

rbjtech

If the network is proven to be good - then perhaps other areas need investigation such as IO from the disk controller etc.  If you can do a simple file copy of a multi-GB file from your host machine to say a PC at max rate (~120 Mbyte/sec over a typical 1 Gbit/sec link), then you can pretty much rule out 'infrastructure' and start looking at the software imo..  

mastrmind11

I had a similar issue about a year ago that took me quite a bit of time to diagnose.   Do you have a managed switch on your LAN by chance?

yaksplat

I had a similar issue about a year ago that took me quite a bit of time to diagnose.   Do you have a managed switch on your LAN by chance?

I do. It's a Ubiquiti switch.

mastrmind11

I do. It's a Ubiquiti switch.

Interesting, so do I :)

Look into "broadcast storm" and how to mitigate it using your switch.  There are a couple settings you can tweak that will kill multicast at the port level and likely improve your experience.  It's very interesting stuff.  Lemme know if you need any help.

• Like 3

Spaceboy

Interesting. I’ve been having problems with sonos multicast and my edge switch. Sounds like this could be the same issue

mastrmind11

Interesting. I’ve been having problems with sonos multicast and my edge switch. Sounds like this could be the same issue

Could definitely be it.  It was a really interesting trip figuring out the issues and implications of nasty packet loops and everything. Look into it and lemme know if you need any help, guidance, or whatever.  Funny thing is it had been going on for years and I never noticed until I got a managed switch added in and started looking at multicast tx/rx from different devices.

Edited by mastrmind11
  • Like 1

Can one of you guys respond here with a nice summary of the issue and solution?  If you do that, I will turn it into an article in our new KB.

Thanks!

yaksplat

I'm still unsure if the broadcast storm was the cause of my issue, but it's worth paying attention to.  After a reboot yesterday, I noticed that I had connectivity issues again, but then it dawned on me, I didn't give my nic Team a static IP.  So when emby came up, it had a choice of 4 IPs to choose from and it wasn't always the same one.  Once I set the static IP, I bound Emby to that address as well.  At that point, everything was at least consistent IP wise, but I was still getting a pausing issue every couple of minutes, but only on the AppleTV client.  This didn't affect either of the fire tvs, iphone or emby theater. I set up port isolation on the port to the AppleTV and still no change.  I modified the bitrate  with no change in the rate of pausing.  

This morning I set up wireshark on my server to monitor the traffic and the Apple TV works fine on Auto Bitrate.  No pausing at all watching the same media as last night.  I don't know why it's working now...  However, Theater now takes 80+ seconds to launch a movie, but instant on AppleTV and an Android app.

I'm at a loss confirming the rhyme and reason of why what is happening.