4K icon

goller

goller

Is there any consideration to adding a 4K icon for themes which support mediainfo overlay. 

I ask as I have added a 4k movie and it is displayed as 1080 in the chocolate theme.

Cheesegeezer

Is there any consideration to adding a 4K icon for themes which support mediainfo overlay. 

I ask as I have added a 4k movie and it is displayed as 1080 in the chocolate theme.

There just needs to be a few adjustments made to core code, or themes can implement it themselves.

Is there an official 4K icon. Just out of interest.

goller

There just needs to be a few adjustments made to core code, or themes can implement it themselves.

Is there an official 4K icon. Just out of interest.

No i think each manufacturer has a different icons for 4K.

Just curious what native 4k movie exists?

Yeah there are a few. Samsung has released some movies in 4K (such as Ghost Busters) but the one I have is a short called Tears of Steel.

Edited by goller

SikSlayer

I'm happy someone brought this up. I was going to start a thread for a 3D icon, and just before I came here to do so, I thought about 4K as well.

May as well kill 2 birds with one stone.

Also, there's UltraHD 3840 × 2160 or 2160p as some like to call it, and DCI/Cinema 4K, which is 4096 × 2160. I think that distinction needs to be made if/when icons are created.

No i think each manufacturer has a different icons for 4K.

Yeah there are a few. Samsung has released some movies in 4K (such as Ghost Busters) but the one I have is a short called Tears of Steel.

I just want to point out, since you've unfortunately made this mistake, that the 'Mastered in 4K' Blu Rays that have come out from Sony are NOT 4K, but they do have higher color depth. They're pretty much the 'SuperBit' of Blu Ray, where all the bitrate on the BD is used for the film, no extras.

techywarrior

I'm happy someone brought this up. I was going to start a thread for a 3D icon, and just before I came here to do so, I thought about 4K as well.

May as well kill 2 birds with one stone.

Also, there's UltraHD 3840 × 2160 or 2160p as some like to call it, and DCI/Cinema 4K, which is 4096 × 2160. I think that distinction needs to be made if/when icons are created.

I just want to point out, since you've unfortunately made this mistake, that the 'Mastered in 4K' Blu Rays that have come out from Sony are NOT 4K, but they do have higher color depth. They're pretty much the 'SuperBit' of Blu Ray, where all the bitrate on the BD is used for the film, no extras.

UltraHD 3840 × 2160 or 2160p  = "4k" (marketing name)

Which of course makes no sense since they named "HD" on 1080 not based on the 1920px dimension

This is what happens when marketing people name technical terms :(

Edited by techywarrior
  • Like 1

SikSlayer

This is what happens when marketing people name technical terms :(

EEeeeexactly.

goller

No mistake made. I wasn't referring to mastered in 4K discs (which as you say aren't 4k at all) I was referring to a bunch of movies released by Samsung on a hard drive for use with their 4K TVs. I guess technically even these aren't 4K but they are 2160p.  

Edited by goller

SikSlayer

No mistake made. I wasn't referring to mastered in 4K discs (which as you say aren't 4k at all) I was referring to a bunch of movies released by Samsung on a hard drive for use with their 4K TVs. I guess technically even these aren't 4K but they are 2160p.  

The irony. I originally wrote "Not that you've made this mistake.........." because you said Samsung, but Ghostbusters is one of the Mastered in 4K discs, so I assumed you made a mistake.

....my mistake. :P

But back to the original point, 2160p isn't 4K, so if icons are going to be made, there should be separate ones for both.

And also, for 3D.

techywarrior

But back to the original point, 2160p isn't 4K, so if icons are going to be made, there should be separate ones for both.

And also, for 3D.

But that's the issue. All the marketing is calling 2160p 4k so if you make an icon for 2160p that isn't 4k people will get confused because they don't know the technical aspect. Just what they have been told by tv ads and sales people. :(

buddyweiser

Most of the movies in my collection are 1080p,but not 1920x1080 due to various cropping and different aspect ratios. But they are still considered 1080p by the server. Why would 4k be any different? Shouldn't there be a 4k icon for a range of resolutions?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

goller

The irony. I originally wrote "Not that you've made this mistake.........." because you said Samsung, but Ghostbusters is one of the Mastered in 4K discs, so I assumed you made a mistake.

....my mistake. :P

And also, for 3D.

No problem SikSlayer,  I know a lot of people are making the mistake of thinking that 'Mastered in 4K' is actually 4K.

Most of the movies in my collection are 1080p,but not 1920x1080 due to various cropping and different aspect ratios. But they are still considered 1080p by the server. Why would 4k be any different? Shouldn't there be a 4k icon for a range of resolutions?

I tend to agree that one icon should include both 4K standards. I think we are some way off seeing a lot of 4K or UHD content so it shouldn't cause too much of an issue 

SikSlayer

Another icon other than 3D and 4K, is HEVC. I could put that to use right now. ;)

Edited by SikSlayer

Cheesegeezer

The logic is pretty simple in our code.... It would be easy to add a 4k icon and base it on.. If movie height and width was over 1080 and 1920 then we assume its 4k.

Maybe @@Luke and @@ebr could implement this in the future. Its a fact that this will probably become the norm!

• Like 1