• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 thrillcat OFFLINE  

thrillcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:02 PM

In Emby, the aspect ratio seems to be simply representing the resolution aspect ratio instead of the actual film's ratio.

Example: Apocalypse Now UHD is listed as 3840x2160 resolution, and 16:9 Aspect Ratio. However, if you go to IMDB and view the actual aspect ratio (or play the film), it's correctly reported as 2.39:1.

For those of us with projectors and masking systems, having this information right there on the movie's title page is really nice, but it doesn't seem accurate.

Could that information be pulled from IMDB instead of the file resolution?

One step further, it would be REALLY cool if the aspect ratio could be added at the top of the movie page with the length and rating, etc. information. Perhaps have several fields the user could choose up to X number to display at the top. I love the "ends at" item, and the rating, viewer rating, etc., but could do without date added, etc. up there, and would prefer a couple other options.

Thanks!

#2 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 17674 posts
  • Local time: 10:55 PM
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:15 PM

Sorry no information can come directly from IMDB do to the fact they do not have a free api.

Every source/encode could be different so simply applying a arbitrary values I think would cause just as many problem.

Date Added isn't going anywhere, lots of posts about it being gone right now in 4.3.  It will be back in 4.4.

Edited by Happy2Play, 25 January 2020 - 09:22 PM.

#3 thrillcat OFFLINE  

thrillcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:27 PM

Again, a choice would be nice. Alllow each user to turn off or turn on up to, say 5 metadata items to include in that space.

But back to aspect ratio, is there another database that could provide accurate info on AR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 17674 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:31 PM

My question would be why is it not showing the correct AR?  Personally I would expect the media to be correct over any database.

#5 thrillcat OFFLINE  

thrillcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:36 PM

I don’t know.

This is an MKV rip of the new Rambo.

310ef49b87951b3c4e3efcc75bb29687.jpg

This is the actual file playing.

a52fc77dfd8e9a4603fc6d74d2e01fcd.jpg

Definitely NOT 16:9. A quick sampling shows that every movie in my library reads as 16:9.

#6 crusher11 OFFLINE  

crusher11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1088 posts
  • Local time: 02:55 PM

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:54 PM

My question would be why is it not showing the correct AR? Personally I would expect the media to be correct over any database.

Because Blu-Ray only supports 16:9, so movies of any other ratio have hard coded pillar or letter boxes.

#7 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 17674 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:57 PM

Well all my Test media would appear to shows their proper AR.  So is this a encoding issue?

#8 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 17674 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:04 PM

3840X2160 Is 16:9

3840x1608 is 2.39:1.

Edited by Happy2Play, 25 January 2020 - 10:05 PM.

#9 thrillcat OFFLINE  

thrillcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:08 PM

Well all my Test media would appear to shows their proper AR. So is this a encoding issue?

Straight bluray rips using makemkv, so I don’t know? PLEX shows the same incorrect data.

I’m not doing anything but rip, no transcoding.

#10 thrillcat OFFLINE  

thrillcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:12 PM

Never mind. It looks like it might be a makemkv issue.

#11 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 149391 posts
  • Local time: 01:55 AM

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:55 PM

The black padding is typically embedded into the video so that's why it would be different than what you see on Imdb.

#12 crusher11 OFFLINE  

crusher11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1088 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:17 PM

Well all my Test media would appear to shows their proper AR.  So is this a encoding issue?

How are you getting your Test media?

Blu-ray and UHD only support 16:9, DVD only supports 4:3 and 16:9. The only way to get any other resolution is to re-encode and remove the black bars.

#13 sfatula OFFLINE  

sfatula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 591 posts
  • Local time: 12:55 AM
  • LocationCalera, OK

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:21 AM

The only way to get any other resolution is to re-encode and remove the black bars.

Exactly. When I Handbrake mine, I get correct aspect ratio as Handbrake removes the black bars. 

#14 thrillcat OFFLINE  

thrillcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:46 AM

Exactly. When I Handbrake mine, I get correct aspect ratio as Handbrake removes the black bars.

So we must sacrifice quality to remove black bars.

Which leads me back around to my original question. Is there a different source which would provide accurate aspect ratio information for the film, not the file?

Blu-ray.com perhaps?

#15 sfatula OFFLINE  

sfatula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 591 posts
  • LocationCalera, OK

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:53 AM

So we must sacrifice quality to remove black bars.

I don't sacrifice any perceivable (by me) quality, but, I was in no way suggesting you must or should do this. I was merely agreeing with crusher11 by pointing out if you do remove them, the ratio is correct. You've already lost quality as bluray is compressed. 

#16 crusher11 OFFLINE  

crusher11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1088 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 02:32 AM

Lost quality relative to what?

#17 crusher11 OFFLINE  

crusher11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1088 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 12:19 PM

That hypothetical original isn't relevant to anything, though, because it's unattainable. Compressing further to remove letter or pillarboxing is an entirely different matter.

• cybergrimes and thrillcat like this

#18 sfatula OFFLINE  

sfatula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 591 posts
  • LocationCalera, OK

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:37 PM

That hypothetical original isn't relevant to anything, though, because it's unattainable. Compressing further to remove letter or pillarboxing is an entirely different matter.

You're not zipping a zip file. You are more accurately re-compressing. It is decompressed, adjusted, and re-compressed. You don't need to shrink the file, up to you based on your settings. But UHD takes a long time to process anyway, and it's a hassle. I just disagree with the notion you are losing something, other than time. If you have not done it from your first rip, then, too much work I am sure. I have more than a thousand movies, but, have processed every one of them.

You can't get a movie aspect ratio from imdb or anywhere else, many movies come in different forms, for example IMAX versions which have their own aspect ratio. 

You could change the embedded title only and set the prefer embedded title option in Emby. This would allow you to put the aspect ratio in the title. 

But it's an interesting problem as I have a projector also and it is handy to know. 

Here's some posts from a while back related to this:

https://emby.media/c...ot-file-aspect/

#19 crusher11 OFFLINE  

crusher11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1088 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:50 PM

It is decompressed, adjusted, and re-compressed. You don't need to shrink the file, up to you based on your settings.

This is entirely incorrect.

You can't "decompress" it. That would require magically inventing all the data that was compressed out of the image during the disc's authoring stage. You then compress it again after processing it, and you will lose quality relative to the original even if you output at exactly the same file size. That's how compression works.

• thrillcat likes this

#20 sfatula OFFLINE  

sfatula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 591 posts
  • LocationCalera, OK

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:54 PM

Semantics. So, you are saying the video a played as is? Hardly. The already compressed (encoded) frames have to be decoded (you might say decompressed) and assembled to form a complete frame to send to the video display, or, edited to remove the black bars, call it what you want. I was not saying you get the original video. Obviously you do not. You get the best approximation of the original video, just as you do when you play it. But believe as you wish! I've provided 2 solutions to the OP problem.

Edited by sfatula, 26 January 2020 - 02:04 PM.

• maegibbons likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users