Where in the world are you?

I'm in the UK, East Midlands

Edited by gone2ray
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
MrSpaniard

Hi All,

Thought I'd introduce myself.
I'm Spaniard (but the name was already taken here 😅 haha).
IT tech for about 15 years.

I've been an Emby user for about a year now.
It started when I was looking for a better way to serve all the media on my NAS for my wife.
She has been using Kodi, connected to different shares on my NAS, running on a raspberry Pi 3 and 4 for the last couple of years.
But having her have to navigate through badly named folders or having trouble with HEVC content on the Pi's made me realize I should invest some extra effort in making it nice for her.
Was also looking into being able to share my collection with some family members.

That's when I started looking around for the available options, had not heard of Emby before, but did hear the word plex a few times, although I had no idea what it was or did until I started my research. (I tend to research anything I invest either time or money into to autistic levels)
Quickly realized that the terms of service for Plex completely rubbed me the wrong way, and it having constant connections and sending back my media info to them felt extremely iffy and dangerous.
Then I stumbled upon Emby and immediately fell in love with the project.

I decided to pull the trigger and started setting it up (my god, it was so easy and intuitive to setup for me personally, I got hooked instantly)
Only took me a day to fall in love with the software and jump on Premiere to test transcoding.
I keep a monthly premiere subscription so I can keep supporting this project into a very bright future.

As of this writing, my setup is as follows:

Emby Server is running on a command Line Interface headless Linux Server (Ubuntu Server 18.04 64-bit) with the following hardware:
- AMD Athlon 200ge (APU with vega graphics)
- Gigabyte B450 Aorus Wifi ITX motherboard
- 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200Mhz
- Gigabyte GTX1050Ti 4GB (only added this for better encoding for Emby, did not run a dedicated gpu before, this thing does the job very well for me)
- 250GB Samsung 860 Evo Sata SSD
*This server is also running PiHole and a few dedicated game server via LGSM.

Media library is hosted on 2 separate Synology 4 bay NAS systems running 12TB each in Synology RAID setup.
Both have 4x4TB NAS drives.
Buying 2 completely separate 12TB systems was cheaper than buying 4 x 8 TB NAS disks at the time (and still is).
The vast majority of my media consists of 1080p HEVC/x265 10bit content in .mkv containers to save space and retain a good quality image.

My internet line consists of a fiber connection running 650Mbit up/down (effectively 630Mbit available on the Emby server after network loss)

My wife now mostly watches on an Apple TV (4) HD using the Emby Theater App and on her Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite also with the app.
I myself use my Samsung Galaxy S7, Samsung Galaxy S10e, Samsung Galaxy Tab A6 10.1 (2019), Emby Theater client from Windows Store, Opera/Chrome browsers, Xbox One S, Xbox One X and Xbox Series S to watch my Emby content.

I absolutely love this project, I've been looking at the forums for a while now, and decided it might be nice to have a profile here too.
I hope to be able to use this software for many years/decades to come.

**Secretly wishing for Emby Theater to become available on Nintendo Switch in the future, so I can use the OLED screen for watching in bed, but knowing Nintendo it probably will never happen.
Nintendo still fails to allow a release of netflix on the device after 5 years xD
If you guys ever pull it off to get Nintendo to do this, that would be extremely awesome.
Especially since the Nvidia Shield and Nintendo Switch seem to share a similar SOC with the Tegra X1 chip, I bet HEVC content would run great on the Switch.

• Thanks 1