Where in the world are you?

I'm in the UK, East Midlands

Edited by gone2ray
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
MrSpaniard

Hi All,

Thought I'd introduce myself.
I'm Spaniard (but the name was already taken here 😅 haha).
IT tech for about 15 years.

I've been an Emby user for about a year now.
It started when I was looking for a better way to serve all the media on my NAS for my wife.
She has been using Kodi, connected to different shares on my NAS, running on a raspberry Pi 3 and 4 for the last couple of years.
But having her have to navigate through badly named folders or having trouble with HEVC content on the Pi's made me realize I should invest some extra effort in making it nice for her.
Was also looking into being able to share my collection with some family members.

That's when I started looking around for the available options, had not heard of Emby before, but did hear the word plex a few times, although I had no idea what it was or did until I started my research. (I tend to research anything I invest either time or money into to autistic levels)
Quickly realized that the terms of service for Plex completely rubbed me the wrong way, and it having constant connections and sending back my media info to them felt extremely iffy and dangerous.
Then I stumbled upon Emby and immediately fell in love with the project.

I decided to pull the trigger and started setting it up (my god, it was so easy and intuitive to setup for me personally, I got hooked instantly)
Only took me a day to fall in love with the software and jump on Premiere to test transcoding.
I keep a monthly premiere subscription so I can keep supporting this project into a very bright future.

As of this writing, my setup is as follows:

Emby Server is running on a command Line Interface headless Linux Server (Ubuntu Server 18.04 64-bit) with the following hardware:
- AMD Athlon 200ge (APU with vega graphics)
- Gigabyte B450 Aorus Wifi ITX motherboard
- 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200Mhz
- Gigabyte GTX1050Ti 4GB (only added this for better encoding for Emby, did not run a dedicated gpu before, this thing does the job very well for me)
- 250GB Samsung 860 Evo Sata SSD
*This server is also running PiHole and a few dedicated game server via LGSM.

Media library is hosted on 2 separate Synology 4 bay NAS systems running 12TB each in Synology RAID setup.
Both have 4x4TB NAS drives.
Buying 2 completely separate 12TB systems was cheaper than buying 4 x 8 TB NAS disks at the time (and still is).
The vast majority of my media consists of 1080p HEVC/x265 10bit content in .mkv containers to save space and retain a good quality image.

My internet line consists of a fiber connection running 650Mbit up/down (effectively 630Mbit available on the Emby server after network loss)

My wife now mostly watches on an Apple TV (4) HD using the Emby Theater App and on her Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite also with the app.
I myself use my Samsung Galaxy S7, Samsung Galaxy S10e, Samsung Galaxy Tab A6 10.1 (2019), Emby Theater client from Windows Store, Opera/Chrome browsers, Xbox One S, Xbox One X and Xbox Series S to watch my Emby content.

I absolutely love this project, I've been looking at the forums for a while now, and decided it might be nice to have a profile here too.
I hope to be able to use this software for many years/decades to come.

**Secretly wishing for Emby Theater to become available on Nintendo Switch in the future, so I can use the OLED screen for watching in bed, but knowing Nintendo it probably will never happen.
Nintendo still fails to allow a release of netflix on the device after 5 years xD
If you guys ever pull it off to get Nintendo to do this, that would be extremely awesome.
Especially since the Nvidia Shield and Nintendo Switch seem to share a similar SOC with the Tegra X1 chip, I bet HEVC content would run great on the Switch.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
rotational467

Hi there, recent Plex refugee (6+ years with Lifetime sub) and I just wanted to pass along a few random, specific things that irritated me with Plex and I've found to be standout improvements in Emby, for others who might be considering it.  A big thank you to the development team for getting these things right!

Installing a custom SSL cert on Linux - painless and simple, requires voodoo on Plex.

Multi-episode files - what witchcraft is this that Emby properly understands and treats these as multiple episodes but a single playback item!

In-season specials sorted correctly within seasons - Examples include the Battlestar Galactica Miniseries and movies, and Babylon 5 - Thirdspace.  This is a big improvement for us, we seem to have a number of these shows.

Everything subtitles - my wife prefers subtitles on all the time, and for whatever reason I could not get this working 100% reliably with all of our media on her Roku.  Subtitles in general on Plex felt clunky outside of the web app.  Emby has already passed the wife test on this - simple to use on the fly, and the "Always show" per-user setting does what it says.

User management and licensing - comprehensive and flexible.  Everything Plex user management is not.  Ability to simply give one of the kids their login information without them needing to either go create a plex account or call me to authorize a new device as a managed user.  Combined with the "the server you are connect to has paid, you're good" licensing option for the mobile apps it's not a contest with Plex.  Same with restricting content for the little ones in a situation where you can't count on content rating metadata (or where you disagree with the rating), I found it far easier and faster to define exactly what their user profiles could and couldn't access than on Plex.

The various options to hide users on login screens - brilliant and massively useful.

Those are probably the biggest unexpected things that I found to be unequivocal upgrades over Plex, that had I known about a few in particular I wouldn't have waited for Plex to annoy me with their bad behavior to switch.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, CarlosJohnson said:

Hello all,

Have a very good day! I'm a newbie here. I want to say hello to all. I hope everyone here is doing well so far. 

Thank you so much for your time in advance. 

Hi and welcome!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
akira6968

I just wanted to say THANK YOU!!! to the emby team! 😊 Back in 2016 or so I gave up and tried plex...worked great for watching stuff away from home and on the phone but having been a huge fan of XBMC it wasn't easy for me.

Time went by and plex kept adding crap I don't care about and couldn't remove (not easily, if possible) and then I ran across an old emby file and decided to check it out. HOLY COW you guys have kicked butt on this!!! If I remember right, it's free too?? No way I'm gonna not pay for this but the option to still use it when I need it most (if I lose my job or some other catastrophe) is so awesome ❤

The ways emby is better than plex are so many 😂 Please PLEASE don't go so corporate or sell out like they did 😊

Thank you again everyone!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
tedfroop

Not exactly new here but.....Mid 50's male, started with media servers long ago with Squeezebox's.  Found a great forum friend who encouraged re purposing an old PC (I was the I fix PC's guy so I end up being given older stuff sometimes)  and set up Ubuntu linux.

Not searching through hundreds of disks for the song you want?  Being able to set up a playlist and go play poker for the night at the neighbours with music no one wanted to change?  Magic.

Through a few different devices that played iso's, massive storage needs, and changing hardware, I added the other guys media server to my linux box and started ripping. Things progressed well and through a planned series of hardware upgrades I came to where I could play my media without disks.

Then when things needed another round of updating - Covid, and just as lock down started I had some problems and just after losing my job I found out I have had a severe complex anxiety disorder for the last 45 years.  Because of that - no work and started the process of getting handicap benefits.  Long story short I was stuck with the other guys server because I had not needed to upgrade my server for a while as I had no need to transcode.  So I ended up stuck with an old TV, an under powered server, and the other guys software as the only way to play high quality audio without transcoding.

A bunch of stuff with my benifits and all that got fixed in January and I had opportunity after my tax return to update my server hardware and TV.  Thank god...The other guys have been adding volume normalization and stuff and turning it on by default when you update.  I had started looking for another media server and had messed around with Emby finding it to be far better suited to my needs than the other guys.

Really it is.  The last last straw for the other guys was when I upgraded server hardware for the millionth time, my Looney Tunes collection would not match.  Simply because they don't want to use TheTVDB (the sole and only accurate meta source)  after someone at P#$x got in a pi$$ing match with them over something stupid AND they changed the options for fixing it that were posted on their own forums.

So cheers and many thanks to the Emby team for building what the other guys should and could have been.......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
megatronG1

Hello Everyone,

After being a long time user of Plex, I had the dreaded playback error transcoder exited message happen out of nowhere. Decided to see what else was out there and tried jellyfin, well it was okay but very laggy and for some reason, refused to play HDR on a video file, which there was no issue with plex. I then decided to try out emby and so far have been happy overall with how it operates, especially with the UI features that came as standard and I also decided to go with premiere!

Great work emby team!

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
Hotomatua

Hey everyone,

I've been a dedicated Plex user for quite some time now, running two servers. Check out my setup:

4400 movies
    8300 TV episodes
    12K+ music albums
    200 music videos
    500 learning videos

Got four computers handling my media: two Plex servers.( now Emby Server Version 4.8.3.0)

My content's at about 40TB and growing. Share Plex with family and friends. I use web, Samsung TV, Xbox One, and Android clients.

Loved Plex, but lately, it's been a bit of a rollercoaster.

By the way, I speak English, French, German, Japanese, and Arabic. Just wanted to say hi!

Edited by Hotomatua
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hotomatua

Thank you! I'm glad to be here @Abobader:)

May you and your loved ones have a blessed and peaceful Ramadan

I am still a newcomer when it comes to Emby and will certainly have a few questions :)

Edited by Hotomatua
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...