Can't access MB3

parrotheadcubs

parrotheadcubs

Hello.  I've been trying to access via the web client on multiple devices.  PC, Xbox One and iPhone.  All of them come up as can't find website.  I verified my hostname is still active through noip.com.  The server is on with the program running at home.  Any ideas?

parrotheadcubs

Yes I set that up and then set up an account through noip so the remote access number wouldn't constantly change.  Now that I think about it, I restarted my router just before the problems started.  Would that have changed something?

Deathsquirrel

potentially yes.  Be sure you're running the noip client tool so it automatically updates your DNS entry on their servers every few minutes.

parrotheadcubs

Yeah that was my next thought.  I restarted my PC but I'm not sure if the client auto started.  I feel like I used it since then but probably not.  I'll check when I get home.

Tim Hobbs

The noip stuff is probably fine if you had that running before. What is likely the problem is that the router restart resulted in new IP addresses being handed out to the devices on your home network. If you haven't setup reserved IPs for devices, your forwarding rules may be broken as your media server may have a different IP after the router reset than it did before.

• Like 1

parrotheadcubs

The noip stuff is probably fine if you had that running before. What is likely the problem is that the router restart resulted in new IP addresses being handed out to the devices on your home network. If you haven't setup reserved IPs for devices, your forwarding rules may be broken as your media server may have a different IP after the router reset than it did before.

I will have to figure out what you just said. :)

MrWebsmith

heh.. he's saying basically that your no-ip will handle the external facing, public, WAN address changing.. but.. your internal, lan, ip for the server may have been changed when your router restarted.. so 192.168.1.5>>>1.6... and your previously entered port fwd'ing rules may point specifically at .5     which is now broken and needs to point to .6 in this example

Tim Hobbs

It is gonna take you checking into the port forwarding rules. You mentioned above you already did that, so you'll have to check them.

Your router will use DHCP to randomly assign IP addresses to devices that connect to it - either via wired or wireless. Most routers have a way for you to reserve an IP address for a specific device. IF yours has this feature, set it up so that your MB server always gets the same IP address assigned to it. Then, setup your port forwarding rules to forward incoming traffic to that IP. Now, whenever you restart your router the reserved IP will be assigned to your MB server and the forwarding will always work after resets.

Hope this helps clear things up :)

parrotheadcubs

It is gonna take you checking into the port forwarding rules. You mentioned above you already did that, so you'll have to check them.

Your router will use DHCP to randomly assign IP addresses to devices that connect to it - either via wired or wireless. Most routers have a way for you to reserve an IP address for a specific device. IF yours has this feature, set it up so that your MB server always gets the same IP address assigned to it. Then, setup your port forwarding rules to forward incoming traffic to that IP. Now, whenever you restart your router the reserved IP will be assigned to your MB server and the forwarding will always work after resets.

Hope this helps clear things up :)

Thank you.  I've got the server pointing to the right IP now.  That was the issue, it switched to a different device.  Now, however, I can't get DLNA to work on the Xbox One.  I hit play and it takes me to Xbox video correctly but then just shows "connecting" forever.

Koleckai Silvestri

You can use Fing to see what your internal IP addresses are at any time.

http://www.overlooksoft.com/fing

For your server you might want to go into its network options and assign it a specific IP Address outside your DHCP range.