Local Trailer not picking up trailers for a lot of movie titles

altramarine

altramarine

Hello!

I posted a similar topic in the Server section, which does not belong there, sorry.

I've noticed that Local Trailers plugin does not download trailers for quite a bit of my movie titles.

I checked the HD-trailers.net and all of the trailers for the titles are there.

Any idea why that is?

Many thanks!

Edited by altramarine

Have you also ever noticed _incorrect_ trailers in the ones it did download? Like why does frozen 2013, download the horror/drama frozen 2010's trailer? The movie is named "Frozen (2013)" yet it never respects the year. It also downloads non-english trailers take for example despicable me 2.The plugin will download the Spanish trailer oddly even though quite clearly it shouldn't.

It's almost easier (not really, heh,  just illustrating a point) to just download 720p HQ youtube videos of the trailers myself than settle for what this offers. Of my 2,000 or so movies roughly 12% have trailers downloaded after repeatedly running it all the way through to 100%. Several times I might add. Usually just after adding new movies. This plugin idea is a good one I am not sure why it is left in this condition, unpolished and quite a crap-shoot.

There are users of this plugin that would indeed jump for joy if these short-comings were addressed. Yes I know there is the "trailers channel" but it isn't the same feeling. Having them embedded within the media data and usable within clients right from the same details page that would offer the full-movie to play is something of beauty. You have to see it in action to truly understand what I am saying.

This plugin is under-rated and deserves more than it is getting. Same with redshirts bookshelf plugin. It is just a plugin and offered for free. But it is a great idea that has so much untapped potential as does this trailers plugin. In time I'm hoping both the trailer and bookshelf plugins can become evolved to the full potential those ideas truly have. Just another thing to set this project apart from it's "cousin-across-the-internets" plex. Just my opinion. Maybe others feel the same way?

Don't take this the wrong way, I <3 this project and recommended it to everybody I know on iRC so much some think I'm paid to think this way. No, there are responsive and friendly developers here that actually listen to their userbase. This is why I prefer this project over others. This is also why I am so critical of some things like the plugin neglect lately in favor of "channels". To each his own I guess but there must be others that feel like me that need to see a post like this before they will ever chime in. Maybe this gets some new users to register instead of always lurking as a guest. You reading this right now should voice your opinion on the matter. You did click here and read my entire post. At least say something.  :P

Edited by speechles

There are only a few of us and only so many hours in the day.  We are gaining contributors daily so, hopefully, more and more can get done.

Given our resources though, we are sometimes faced with the question of either releasing something with only base line functionality or nothing at all.  If we feel the base line functionality adds enough value, we choose to do that rather than not release it at all.  Then, as contributors step up or other things get done, we can incrementally improve these things.

If we waited until everything was in a perfect state to get it out there you'd still be waiting on the first release of the server :).

• Like 1

the plugin has some limitations. we love when new contributors step up with pull requests though :)

Ghostm

Not to high jack but i would really like to see streaming trailers/internet trailers supported in more clients.

From what i understand the trailer plugin allows for internet or streaming trailers. This is ideal and basically what xbmc uses, im surprised their is not more of a push for it on here. Looks like the ipad app is using it, but other then the web app i dont see many clients taking advantage of it.

Would be great in mbt.

Not to high jack but i would really like to see streaming trailers/internet trailers supported in more clients.

From what i understand the trailer plugin allows for internet or streaming trailers. This is ideal and basically what xbmc uses, im surprised their is not more of a push for it on here. Looks like the ipad app is using it, but other then the web app i dont see many clients taking advantage of it.

Would be great in mbt.

Problem is most of them are from YouTube so you need a YouTube player to play them.  I believe most of our clients can do that but we need a way to discover that they are YouTube and then the client needs to be able to launch them in whatever native YT player there is on the platform.

Unfortunately, WMC doesn't have a YT player so that client will be problematic.  Most of the others should be able to do it though.

Ghostm

Problem is most of them are from YouTube so you need a YouTube player to play them.  I believe most of our clients can do that but we need a way to discover that they are YouTube and then the client needs to be able to launch them in whatever native YT player there is on the platform.

Unfortunately, WMC doesn't have a YT player so that client will be problematic.  Most of the others should be able to do it though.

Oh i see. This makes more sense.

For me the great part of the streaming aspect and why i find it perfect is when using the web client, every trailer is spot on and right at my finger tips. 

The streaming portion for me is flawless in the web client anyway and i hear its the same in the ipad app. I know the team will have its own idea's on which direction to go but for me this would be the best one getting this supported in all clients.

Minus mbc anyway.

Edited by Ghostm

Oh i see. This makes more sense.

For me the great part of the streaming aspect and why i find it perfect is when using the web client, every trailer is spot on and i often have a selection and some are in fantastic quality right at my finger tips. 

The streaming portion for me is flawless in the web client anyway and i hear its the same in the ipad app. I know the team will have its own idea's on which direction to go but for me this would be the best one getting this supported in all clients.

Minus mbc anyway.

what exactly are you asking for, do you mean the new channels feature? As I handled the new Roku app personally (along with Ebr and others), I can tell you that app has the same level of quality and follows the API to a T.

Ghostm

Im not referring to upcoming movie trailer plugin but trailers for your own library.

I would like to see more clients implement (if possible) streaming trailers which is prominent in xbmc that come from youtube. When you download local trailers for your media library i get alot of bad trailers and poor quality ones, I switched to radeons plugin but that does not seem to be working anymore at the moment. The streaming trailers from youtube work perfectly but outside the web server and the ipad app, i havent seen any other clients take advantage of it.

I believe ebr explained why some clients have not yet in his post but its something i would really like to see supported in clients that can do it (MBT?). It takes the hassle out of finding trailers for your own movies and gives me good streaming quality trailers at my finger tips and its something often cited as a great feature in xbmc. 

Edited by Ghostm

• 4 weeks later...
swhitmore

I just noticed that the local trailer plugin seems to be finding a lot of trailers, but fails to download them.

Is this working normally @@Luke ?

Server Log

swhitmore

there are no trailer download attempts in that log

If you search for "found trailer" there are a lot of hits. It just doesn't seem to be downloading.

swhitmore

Example:

2014-07-21 11:23:43.0115 Info - App: HttpClientManager GET: http://www.hd-trailers.net/movie/the-heat/
2014-07-21 11:23:43.9788 Info - App: HttpClientManager GET: http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=highschoolmusical
2014-07-21 11:23:44.6028 Info - App: HttpClientManager GET: http://www.hd-trailers.net/Library/H/
2014-07-21 11:23:45.9132 Info - App: HttpClientManager GET: http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=wallstreet:moneyneversleeps
2014-07-21 11:23:46.5528 Info - App: HttpClientManager GET: http://www.hd-trailers.net/Library/W/
2014-07-21 11:23:47.5980 Info - App: HttpClientManager GET: http://www.hd-trailers.net/movie/wall-street-money-never-sleeps/
2014-07-21 11:23:48.1284 Info - App: Found trailer http://trailers.apple.com/movies/fox/wallstreetmoneyneversleeps/wallstreet-tlrd_h1080p.mov for Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps
2014-07-21 11:23:48.1284 Info - App: HttpClientManager.GetTempFileResponse url: http://trailers.apple.com/movies/fox/wallstreetmoneyneversleeps/wallstreet-tlrd_h1080p.mov
2014-07-21 11:23:48.9396 Error - App: Error getting response from http://192.168.1.1:9000/desc.xml
	The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.
	System.Net.WebException
	   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
	   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)
	--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
	   at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.<SendAsync>d__7.MoveNext()
	InnerException: System.IO.IOException
	Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
	   at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.EndRead(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
	   at System.Net.PooledStream.EndRead(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
	   at System.Net.Connection.ReadCallback(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
	InnerException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
	An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
	   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndReceive(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
	   at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.EndRead(IAsyncResult asyncResult)

2014-07-21 11:23:23.4334 Error - App: Error getting response from http://ukpress.waytoblue.com/media/video/21_trailerb_1500k.mov

The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.

the local trailer downloading plugin could benefit from having a few more trailer sources. and also, the existing sources have multiple trailers available but it doesn't try them all in situations like these. perhaps we can find someone to do some work on this plugin, like @@kingy444 or @@Tim Hobbs or @@markuss232

• Like 2

swhitmore

oh yes. they're coming up 404. not much we can do there.

The url in the example I posted above seems to work (although I haven't got quicktime installed at work.)

the url does not work in a browser for me. maybe it is a valid url and the downloading just needs to be adjusted. either way the plugin needs some development work, and it's going to have to come from someone other than me.

swhitmore

the url does not work in a browser for me. maybe it is a valid url and the downloading just needs to be adjusted. either way the plugin needs some development work, and it's going to have to come from someone other than me.

Fair enough. Hopefully it can get some love. 

Just out of interest, I installed quicktime and tried the link. It works for me in chrome, so maybe there is a problem with the downloader?