Option to allow different posters for Collections vs main library

robertw3524

robertw3524

Hi, have you tried customizing the images for your collections?

Yes. I've got custom posters for the collection as a whole. But, for example, I have all 3 john wick movies. In the collection, I would like the option to have the textless posters bc they're pretty but in the main library I want to have a "regular" poster that has the name of the movie so they're easier to distinguish. My thoughts being that if you are already in the collection, you probably know which one you'd like to watch. 

robertw3524

Have you tried setting the poster on the john wick collection?

yes. and it looks great. but each of the movies in the collection retain the poster from the main library.

Lighthammer

@@Luke ---

I believe Robert is asking for an option to show a different poster.jpg in different places:

Example #1:

When viewing the movies in the Movies Section, it might show the original poster art.

Example #2:

When viewing the movie inside of a given collection, instead of showing the original poster art, it might show a custom poster from TPDB so that all the movies have the same look and feel.

I'd say this is a pretty good idea. I use different art for the Star Trek Movies and the James Bond movies then the original movie posters so they look nice and uniform together, however, it would be nice to show the original movie poster while viewing in Movies as opposed to viewing them in the Star Trek Collection or the James Bond Collection.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
imaginationsong67

This is a great idea. There are so many people creating Custom Posters for movies in collections on The Poster Database and Plex Collection Posters that look great and it would be awesome to occasionally change movies posters in their collection according to season or if there are anniversary posters etc. This also would solve the problem where if you change a poster in web app it deletes any local posters, so if you have spent time curating your posters, you cannot change a poster to test if you like the look in your library without data destruction. I understand the reason and have seen this covered in other posts so this isn't a complaint. It is as it is. But being able to change a poster for a movie in a collection and have a different poster displayed in main library can eliminate the problem of staleness when dealing with a large library. Seeing the same poster over and over can negatively reinforce your desire to watch a movie even if it is a favourite. This is why Netflix and Apple (and every streaming platform really) constantly update and change their artwork. I have read interviews with Netflix marketing where they explain this is the exact reason why they do this.