ShortCut Links??

Cheesegeezer
Go to solution Solved by CWNashvegas,

Cheesegeezer

I have a question regarding shortcut links.

Forgive me however the KB didn't really explain it well enough for me.

I want an all movies folder.  I've tried several ways, Initially I tried post shortcuts to the other folders I have (earlier days) this didn't work. 

Just for information I have these folders set up

3D Movies

Animation

Comedy

Chick Flicks

Action

So I have successfully created a Boxset VF using Shortcuts to the actual boxset folders. This is fine and works great.

I then successfully created an All Movies folder by creating shortcuts to each individual film folder, however what I didn't like was that its maintenance intensive, if I add a movie to my normal folder I then need to add a shortcut to my All movies folder (which initially wasn't picked up at all by MBC as a new addition).

So I tried to just add the shortcuts for the UNC root folders I have for the above folders, this way when I add a movie to the folder it should be picked up by the shortcut and automatically add it to the All Movies VF. Then it all got wierd on me (using latest server build).  Each folder came up in all moves as root

shortcuts1.jpg

Going into any of these folders shows the same info as below, not the 5 movie shortcut folders I added to the All Movies, I listed above.

shortcuts2.jpg

Is there something I'm doing wrong or have I found a bug.

Cheers

• Solution
CWNashvegas

I don't think it's a bug, I think it's an unsupported file structure, sort of. Collections are more like "browsers" for your media (as opposed to the more intelligent functions of Views), so they display most closely to the file structure, and that's exactly what it's done here. So, it's just not that flexible due to how it works. And yes, they are high maintenance if you have a still-growing collection.

Edited to add: I'm on my first coffee, just noticed the details of the second screenshot. I think it doesn't properly handle using a root as a shortcut because of path validation issues. I could be wrong, of course. It's early.

Edited by Knowledge Base

JayAre

I had issues with mb3 server not detecting shortcuts when I added media collection folders with exact ip address (192.168.1.XXX), then unknowingly created shortcuts with hostname address.  The mb3 server did not recognize the ip address and hostname address as the same location.

Edited by JayAre

Cheesegeezer

Thanks CW, I kinda figured that, but thought I'd double check that I wasn't being a bafoon.  I've decided to use Movies by Genre as my all movies folder now in MBC.  Seems to do the trick :)

CWNashvegas

Thanks CW, I kinda figured that, but thought I'd double check that I wasn't being a bafoon.  I've decided to use Movies by Genre as my all movies folder now in MBC.  Seems to do the trick :)

I really was on the first coffee. It's a miracle my post was even coherent. :D

• Like 1