Removing Channels from Live TV

cmh31909

cmh31909

I am using the HDHomeRun ATSC tuner and receive quite a bit of local channels.

Many of those channels are marginal or I have no interest in.

Is there a way of editing the Emby lineup to remove channels I care nothing about?

I see the option to map, but nothing to delete.

When I configured Live TV, there was an option to only import channels on the target device's "Favorites" list, however, the HDHR setup program scans and lists all the channels it finds.  There is no favorites or way that I know of to remove those channels.  Therefore, when Emby connects to the HDHR, it pulls over all the channels it found.

Thanks,

Carlton

And then refresh the guide data in Emby Server after doing that. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

cmh31909

The HDHR setup application does not let me disable channels or create favorites.

These HDHR devices do not have a web interface like the newer ones do.

cmh31909

It is the older ATSC Dual Tuner model.

HDHomeRun DUAL
Model: HDHR-US
Firmware: 20170930

HDHomeRun DUAL
Model: HDHR-US
Device ID: 101682FD
Firmware: 20170930

jusjoken

So this is not a network model?

I have the same model... It is a network model but the web interface is limited to only a link to download drivers and instructions.  All other functions require an installed UI.

• Like 1

cmh31909

Yes, it is the network model, and I have installed the UI (Windows program), but as I said, there is nothing in the UI that allows you to remove found channels or create a 'favorites' list.

Do you have the latest firmware installed? Because i thought with the latest firmware all HDHR models had the web interface now.

kanipek

I am using the HDHomeRun ATSC tuner and receive quite a bit of local channels.

Many of those channels are marginal or I have no interest in.

Is there a way of editing the Emby lineup to remove channels I care nothing about?

I see the option to map, but nothing to delete.

When I configured Live TV, there was an option to only import channels on the target device's "Favorites" list, however, the HDHR setup program scans and lists all the channels it finds.  There is no favorites or way that I know of to remove those channels.  Therefore, when Emby connects to the HDHR, it pulls over all the channels it found.

Thanks,

Carlton

I have just tested this method. It seems to accomplish what you want to do.

Remove the tuner(s) from Emby first.

After installing the HDHR software. Do a channel scan on the Tuner(s). Make sure you click "apply" or "ok" (can't remember) when the scan is finished. This will create/save/update "Digital Cable.xml"

You need to edit the Digital Cable.xml file and remove the unwanted channels. (This used to be accomplished thru software/firmware and was relatively easy.)

Example:

<Program>
    <Name>Smile</Name>
    <Enabled>false</Enabled>
    <Modulation>qam256</Modulation>
    <Frequency>489000000</Frequency>
    <TransportStreamID>0</TransportStreamID>
    <ProgramNumber>94</ProgramNumber>
    <GuideNumber>17.3</GuideNumber>
  </Program>

Just use an editor like Notepad++ and remove the unwanted channels (everything between "<program>" and "</program>" for each channel)  then save it and make a backup copy of the changes for future use.

Before you start make a backup copy of the original Digital Cable.xml file. As you are removing channels make sure not to leave and remnants behind as that would screw up the formatting.

Add the tuners back into Emby.  These older units do work with Emby. But when I last did this if I used multiple units (not tuners - so 2 tuners = 1 unit) I ended up with duplicate channels being displayed in Emby so I stuck with just using 1 of the units.

kanipek

Do you have the latest firmware installed? Because i thought with the latest firmware all HDHR models had the web interface now.

No the oldest units have a minimal web gui - very minimal like yes there is a tuner here and this is the tuner number and that is about it

Got it, ok. Stay tuned then because hopefully in the near future we'll have the ability for you to do this within Emby directly.

• Like 1

kanipek

Got it, ok. Stay tuned then because hopefully in the near future we'll have the ability for you to do this within Emby directly.

That will be HUGE! And very welcome!

jusjoken

Great to hear...thanks 

kanipek

>You need to edit the Digital Cable.xml file and remove the unwanted channels. 

Where is that file located?

On Windows 10 If you search for it....You will find it here:

C:\ProgramData\Silicondust\HDHomeRun

Other OS's I can't say....

cmh31909

It sort of halfway worked....when I run the HDHR setup program, all of the channels I removed from the XML file are gone.

However, when I run Emby, it still shows all of the removed channels.

I removed the tuner and the guide data and set everything back up again, and when I go to Live TV, it still shows all of the old channels that should now be gone.

Apparently Emby has saved that info somewhere and it needs to be cleared.

Edited by cmh31909

kanipek

It sort of halfway worked....when I run the HDHR setup program, all of the channels I removed from the XML file are gone.

However, when I run Emby, it still shows all of the removed channels.

I removed the tuner and the guide data and set everything back up again, and when I go to Live TV, it still shows all of the old channels that should now be gone.

Apparently Emby has saved that info somewhere and it needs to be cleared.

@@Luke  ?

So you removed the tuner(s) first

Restarted Emby ?

Edited the Digital Cable.xml

Then added the tuner(s) back into Emby?

You may want to go here:

this will be different for you\Emby-Server\programdata\cache

Where you may/will find:

a long string of letters and numbers_channels ----->example: 3f366ec3fd17432b95fc684e92fa200f_channels

If these files are there you may need to delete them. Lets hear from @@Luke on that though. If you are not able to wait for an answer from Luke you could just move any of these files out of the emby-server folder to a temp location and then restart Emby and try again.

Digital Cable.xml must be something for HDHR, I've honestly never heard of it before. Once you edit that just refresh the guide in Emby. No need to hack around with any files.

cmh31909

Here are the steps I performed an in the order I performed them.

Removed the HDHR tuner

Removed the guide/lineup

Stopped Emby

Edited the tuner xml file

Loaded the HDHR setup util to verify the channels were gone (they were), hit Apply, then exited.

Deleted the entire Emby cache directory

Restarted Emby

Added the tuner back in

Added the guide data back in.

Clicked the "Home" icon

Clicked the "Live Tv" icon, then selected channels

All the old channels were still there

I also went into the "map channels" under the LiveTv setup, that area also showed all the old channels

cmh31909

>Digital Cable.xml must be something for 

Actually, the correct name for the file is Digital Antenna.xml since I am using OTA and not cable.

Then those must be the channels coming back from the HDHR api. I'm not really sure what to say. Maybe you need to do something more on the HDHR side to get it to reflect the changes?

kanipek

>Digital Cable.xml must be something for 

Actually, the correct name for the file is Digital Antenna.xml since I am using OTA and not cable.

Yep you are correct. My bad.

kanipek

Then those must be the channels coming back from the HDHR api. I'm not really sure what to say. Maybe you need to do something more on the HDHR side to get it to reflect the changes?

So Emby is touching even these OLD units somewhere?