What's the status of Emby Theatre and MadVR ?

annisman

annisman

Does Emby theatre support MadVR and/or using MPC-BE as an external player ?

If it supports MadVR does it also support MadVR HDR passthrough ?

Lastly, is Win 7 working with Emby Theatre or is it Win 10 only ?

I want to make the switch from Emby for WMC to Theatre eventually. Last I checked Theatre wasn't the best choice for 4K HDR libraries.

Edited by annisman

Hi there, emby theater uses mpv and supports windows 7+.

Madvr could be used via external player.

annisman

Hi there, emby theater uses mpv and supports windows 7+.

Madvr could be used via external player.

So MadVR + MPC-BE is possible ? (And 4K passthrough) ?

So MadVR + MPC-BE is possible ? (And 4K passthrough) ?

With an external player it's based on whatever your external player supports.

jachin99

I would give theater a good test run before totally ditching wmc. Emby server is great for managing media but my favorite client will always be EMC with Kodi coming in second. The best thing about theater is you get everything emby server has to offer and things are easier to manage.

annisman

I would give theater a good test run before totally ditching wmc. Emby server is great for managing media but my favorite client will always be EMC with Kodi coming in second. The best thing about theater is you get everything emby server has to offer and things are easier to manage.

Do you dislike the interface of theatre ? Emby for WMC gets virtually no updates anymore.

jachin99

It's ok. I like the horizontal home screen layout. There is some missing functionality though so for example I can't use the channel buttons on my rf remote to change channels.

playloud

Things I can do in Emby Theater that I cannot do (or is difficult) in WMC:

* Pre-select or switch on the fly audio track and/or subtitles

* Pre-select the version of the movie (Extended edition, etc.)

* Access Extras/Special Features (This is theme dependent, some don't offer an access button)

However, I am sacrificing the visual appeal and virtually unlimited customization options within WMC.  There I can make it look exactly how I want, right down to the view style of each collection, size of posters etc.

Theater, for better or worse, looks like every other Emby App, which is good for consistency across platforms.  It is very functional for me, but I am the old guy looking back fondly at the options if WMC and wishing I could have it all.

jachin99

With ffdshow and media control you can work with subtitles and change audio tracks in the wmc interface. The biggest advantages to theater ui consistency and far less setup time. I'm willing to work a little more so I don't use it. Even for UI consistency you could use kodi, emby for Kodi and embuary. I wish theater had more flash but I think it's a little too late to move over to it now as I'm pretty well committed to kodi in the tv room. Everywhere else I just use embys Android clients and the web app. Figuring out ffdshow can take days or weeks if your completely new at it. Sharks spoiled a lot of us.